• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Allegient Air

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Anyone fly Allegient? Are they horrible?

My daughter is thinking of flying them to Sanford FL because they are so much cheaper. We will be driving and can carry their luggage, so that is no problem. She's concern about being able to sit with her two year old if they don't buy seats in advance. Is that an issue or are they forced to put a child with a parent?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I have flown Allegiant with my son when he was an infant and when he was a toddler. They are the only airline that would fly direct for me to visit my mom.

I was always able to sit with my son. As I recall families with young children get early boarding anyway. And other passengers are usually willing to trade to let moms sit with small children. It's really only an issue when they get a little older in my experience.

I will say, however, that the flight attendants did not know the rules about car seats and they tried to take my son's FAA approved car seat away and encouraged me not to use it. I said no I'm using it and showed the FAA sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
When things go well, they're all right. It's when things go wrong you find out how bad things can get. They're a charter airline with no real hub. They have one plane per route and no extras in case one goes down. They rely on other airlines by renting gates and essentially renting they're employees. If there's a maintenance issue, there's no other options and you're stuck until they fix the issue or there's another allgiant flight with an open seat. Since they're a charter airline they don't have to reaccomadate you. All they're obligated to do is refund your original ticket price, which will be a LOT less than a last minute ticket on another airline.

For us the risk just isn't worth any cost savings. There's been a couple of times we've been delayed while they arranged to have a part flown in on another carrier. If they hadn't received that part we'd have been stuck in Vegas for another 3 nights

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew them once out of Rockford to Orlando Sanford (kind of a misnomer because it is not that close to Orlando). Dougp26364 is correct in all he posted. I would add that, of course, you don't get any frequent flyer miles and everything you add is at a cost. When I totaled it up (including the value of the frequent flyer miles), the difference in the price of other airlines was very little. The one advantage to me was that parking in Rockford is free as compared to ORD where the cost of parking is enormous $16-$28 a day at the airport. There are off site parking areas that are cheaper but again you are off site. As a compromise, flying out of MKE has $6 a day parking fees.

I will gratuitously add Spirit Airlines is on my no-fly list for much the same reasons.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Agree with everything doug26364 and Jimster said except there're not charters, rather just lousy commercial airlines operating under FAA Rules. They do not have iterline arrangements with the other airlines like American, Delta, etc. so that's why your stuck if their airplane breaks as they do frequently. The only way I would fly Allegiant or Spirit would be in my coffin on my way to burial, and they'd probably lose it.

That said, my brother and his family fly them occasionally and will do so again.

Cheers

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Check out the Points Guy today. He had a post about Allegiant cancelling a flight from Las Vegas to Oklahoma and the passengers couldn't be reaccommodated for FOUR days. So when things go bad, you don't have any wiggle room. I had a similar issue on Virgin a few years ago so it's not just Allegiant, but when they don't have a lot of planes, mechanical issues can really throw a monkey wrench in the works.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Anyone fly Allegient? Are they horrible?

My daughter is thinking of flying them to Sanford FL because they are so much cheaper. We will be driving and can carry their luggage, so that is no problem. She's concern about being able to sit with her two year old if they don't buy seats in advance. Is that an issue or are they forced to put a child with a parent?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sheila

LMAO! If parents could plop their child or children down in their seats and leave the child's seatmates to take care of them while the parent gets to settle in for a blissfully child free flight there would be so many parents saying sign me up for that! Aside from the legal issues no airline is going to seat a small child by themselves amidst strangers! It's not other people's responsibility to look after and help someone else's child.

I fly Spirit a lot and sometimes use Allegiant too. When your daughter checks in online if she isn't seated next to her two year old all she has to do is go to the counter at the airport and they will fix it. At least that was my experience. If the child isn't seated with their accompanying adult that would make them an unaccompanied minor and they would need to be seated next to the flight attendants. And you pay an arm and a leg for those UM tickets!

I've made four round trips a year for each of the past four years with our 5 year old granddaughter since she was old enough to need her own seat. I've also booked flights for our son or daughter-in-law and our granddaughter and they never had a problem either. I never pay to select the seats and only one time did they have to fix it so our granddaughter and I were seated together. They were really puzzled that it had even happen in the first place especially as our tickets were booked at the same time and we have the same last name.

Tell your daughter to take an empty water bottle and fill it up at the drinking fountain or water station (some airports have them) and plenty of snacks. Also have her pack a backpack or small rolling case that fits under the seat with toys, a stuffed animal, etc. to keep the child entertained. I learned to give myself a little extra time to get through the airport with our granddaughter pulling her own little case. She loved being a big girl doing that and has taken charge of her own little rolling bag from the car to the gate and back to the car for every flight since she was two years old. It helps tire them out for the plane ride too! I've seen too many kids confined to the stroller through check in, getting to the gate and waiting to board. When they finally get out of the stroller they want no part of sitting quietly in the airplane seat.

The first time we flew after our granddaughter was old enough to need her own seat I took her car seat on the plane for her to sit in. Kids are used to being in their car seats so it seems normal to them. I've seen too many kids throw fits about being buckled up in the airplane seats to want to go through that myself as I hadn't had much sleep the night before. I put the car seat in the stroller for the walk to the gate and checked the stroller at the gate. She is a fantastic flyer so that was the only time I took the car seat.

If your grandchild is like most kids they are fascinated with tablets and cell phones. Most of the other kids on the plane will have something to play on. If your daughter has a tablet or cell phone that she can put some age appropriate games on that will keep the child entertained for most of the flight.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Information from Wikipedia ( read current fleet & fleet development )

Allegiant Air - current fleet - 92 / taking delivery of 10 brand new Airbus 320 in 2017

Spirit Air - current fleet 105 / started getting new Airbus 320 in 2016

Allegiant flys non-stops to (warm) vacation destinations from (cold ) locations with limited or non existent direct flights
using under-served ( ie low cost ) airports .

ie Fargo or Minot North Dakota ( to ) Mesa - Phoenix

In 2014 while staying at the Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point Mexico - we spoke to some folks who flew into Mesa Arizona on Allegiant
from North Dakota . They were very happy with a 4 hour ( approx) nonstop instead of 10 + hours and at least one plane change in Chicago .

and their cost was $200-$ 300 per person roundtrip / which was less money than the longer " name brand" flight .

Last edited:

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
LMAO! If parents could plop their child or children down in their seats and leave the child's seatmates to take care of them while the parent gets to settle in for a blissfully child free flight there would be so many parents saying sign me up for that! Aside from the legal issues no airline is going to seat a small child by themselves amidst strangers! It's not other people's responsibility to look after and help someone else's child.
uh, ok, but based on the stories one hears about Allegiant, and my personal experience in flying with kids, I thought it was a fair question. I had a cross country flight once where my kids were NOT seated next to me and I got no help from the airline. I had to take it upon myself to ask others to switch seats with us. More recently, a friend was very upset that his 3yo was not seated next to him on a fight to Israel.
And, while families used to board first, on my recent flights this month, that did not seem to the case.
I am considering flying Allegiant to IA next spring for a wedding. I've heard horror stories. I had a friend have her flight cancelled by this airline and she could not fly out until the next day.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Agree with everything doug26364 and Jimster said except there're not charters, rather just lousy commercial airlines operating under FAA Rules. They do not have iterline arrangements with the other airlines like American, Delta, etc. so that's why your stuck if their airplane breaks as they do frequently. The only way I would fly Allegiant or Spirit would be in my coffin on my way to burial, and they'd probably lose it.

That said, my brother and his family fly them occasionally and will do so again.

Cheers

I second this - There is a reason there tickets are so cheap, but planes always breaking. "Maintenance" or lack there of.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
uh, ok, but based on the stories one hears about Allegiant, and my personal experience in flying with kids, I thought it was a fair question. I had a cross country flight once where my kids were NOT seated next to me and I got no help from the airline. I had to take it upon myself to ask others to switch seats with us. More recently, a friend was very upset that his 3yo was not seated next to him on a fight to Israel.
And, while families used to board first, on my recent flights this month, that did not seem to the case.
I am considering flying Allegiant to IA next spring for a wedding. I've heard horror stories. I had a friend have her flight cancelled by this airline and she could not fly out until the next day.

The are several considerations I will caution you about with choosing Allegiant. Many times they only have one flight a day to and from some cities and two flights a day is the most I've seen even with the big cities. Some cities they don't even have flights every day. Since they often fly out of smaller airports there isn't likely to be another airline flying out of that airport to wherever you're going that they can put you on a flight with another airline either. From my own personal experience with them I can tell you that many times late afternoon and evening flights get backed up/delayed due to weather conditions at a prior stop or mechanical issues. Unlike the bigger airlines, even Spirit, Allegiant doesn't have other planes and crews just standing by that they bring in when those things happen. If you can't arrange to give yourself a full extra day before you really need to be there for the wedding I wouldn't recommend flying Allegiant. But if you were planning to fly out a couple of days early anyhow and can save yourself quite a bit by flying Allegiant then I see no reason not to go with them.

Your experience flying with kids is awful. And worse was your friend flying to Israel especially as that is such a long flight. I wish I could say I find your stories hard to believe but unfortunately I have absolutely no trouble at all believing them! What airline were you flying? Did you look at your seat assignments beforehand and tell the airline agents at the check in counter that there was a problem? When you first entered the plane with your kids did you alert the flight attendants to the problem giving them the opportunity to rectify the situation? If so what was their response? I've gotten very good at keeping my cool and giving the airline personnel the opportunity to handle whatever situation I'm presenting them with. In other words I'm not about to let them make their problem my problem. Sad to say you don't hardly dare raise a fuss any more no matter how justified you are or you will likely find yourself evicted from the plane.

If both the check in agents and flight attendants either couldn't or wouldn't help us get seats together I would ask to be put on a different flight because it truly isn't safe for a number of reasons for small children not to be seated with the adult accompanying them. I'm retired so I'm fortunate that I rarely have to be somewhere by a certain day or time and have the option of taking a later flight or one the next day.

Seventeen years ago we had what our family refers to as our nightmare flight with Delta. After sitting in the airport for 2 hours because the flight was delayed, then for another 3 hours in a hot plane on the tarmac in Tampa they finally let us off and told us we had 10 minutes to get to a plane at another gate and quickly take any open seats. We made a mad dash as by then we just wanted to get home plus my husband had work appointments the next day. We gave our 13 year old son the first seat we came to, my husband took the next available seat in the middle of the plane and I was in the very last row. It was a very big plane. Instead of the nonstop flight we now had a connecting flight in Atlanta. Once we got in the air there was plane that caught fire on a runway in Atlanta and we had to circle until pilot announced we were almost out of fuel and if we couldn't get clearance to land in the next few minutes we would be making an emergency landing in Savanna. Of course the seat belt signs were on so we couldn't get up to talk to our son or each other and were worried. We got cleared to land in Atlanta and by then we had long since missed our connecting flight but they announced they would be handing out hotel and food vouchers at the gate when we got off the plane. When I finally got off the plane and located my husband and son my husband proceeds to tell me how smart our son was to get in line and get our vouchers. Then he goes on to tell me that the flight attendants insisted our son get off the plane by himself even though our son told them we had told him not to get off the plane without his father; to just let the person sitting by the window out and sit back down. Our son figured since he was off way ahead of us he might as well get in line to get the vouchers since it's now close to midnight and we haven't had anything to eat since breakfast early that morning but the snacks I brought on the plane with us. Yes that is correct our son asked for the vouchers for all three of us and they gave them to a 13 year old kid with no parents in sight and never even asked him to stay there until we showed up.

There are lot more details that I'm leaving out but it suffices to say that a 2.5 hour flight turned into a 26 hour nightmare with one hastily eaten late night meal at the only thing open, a Waffle House. Yes I called Delta when we got home and the person I spoke with was so rude and uncooperative that my husband said give me the phone. Usually it would be him handing me the phone and saying here you deal with them. In 39 years of marriage there have only been a few times I have seen him that mad and Delta managed it twice within 24 hours. When he was done we had vouchers for free flights and received a letter of apology. I'm not one to stay mad but Delta crossed so many lines with me that I said the only way I would ever fly them again is if I had no other choice and driving wasn't an option. It took seventeen years for that to happen and not only did Delta lose all our personal business for seventeen years but I usually book my husband's business trips for him so I made sure they didn't get any that business either. And I still won't fly them again unless I can't make any other options work.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad part is even after this latest event people will still fly that airline to save a few dollars. Either 2 or 3 stops would be needed to decide to fly one of those super low cost carriers.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just attempted to fly Allegiant on Saturday. We arrived at the Sanford Airport for our 8:30 am flight to Plattsburgh. At about 7:30, we received a text that the flight was delayed until 9:30 due to mechanical issues. At about 8:30, we received another text saying the flight was now delayed until 2:15. They stated that they would be getting another airplane flown in and that it should arrive at 1:30. We were then notified that our flight would be delayed until 3:30. The replacement plane finally arrived around 2:30 and arrived with its own mechanical issues. So, at that point, the flight was completely cancelled. We went and got our bags and ended up just driving to Plattsburgh since we were parked at the airport with our own car. I felt for the people trying to return home to work and other obligations.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... We went and got our bags and ended up just driving to Plattsburgh since we were parked at the airport with our own car.

You drove from Florida to Plattsburgh, NY - which is what, a full 2-day drive? I'm impressed.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You drove from Florida to Plattsburgh, NY - which is what, a full 2-day drive? I'm impressed.

Actually, we drove from Florida to Stowe, Vermont. It took us 21 hours driving straight through, AFTER sitting in the airport for about 9 hours. We will make an overnight stop when we make the return trip.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We went from Sanford, FL to Branson MO. Got real cheap Aligent flight, problem was we parked at Sanford airport and that cost more than our round trip plane tickets. I prefer to go Southwest from MCO but they don't go to Branson.
This was October 2014
Silentg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We went from Sanford, FL to Branson MO. Got real cheap Aligent flight, problem was we parked at Sanford airport and that cost more than our round trip plane tickets. I prefer to go Southwest from MCO but they don't go to Branson.
This was October 2014
Silentg
Southwest flew into Branson for a short time. I took one flight there. They had already made the decision to pull out before the incident where a SW pilot landed at the wrong airport.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We just attempted to fly Allegiant on Saturday. We arrived at the Sanford Airport for our 8:30 am flight to Plattsburgh. At about 7:30, we received a text that the flight was delayed until 9:30 due to mechanical issues. At about 8:30, we received another text saying the flight was now delayed until 2:15. They stated that they would be getting another airplane flown in and that it should arrive at 1:30. We were then notified that our flight would be delayed until 3:30. The replacement plane finally arrived around 2:30 and arrived with its own mechanical issues. So, at that point, the flight was completely cancelled. We went and got our bags and ended up just driving to Plattsburgh since we were parked at the airport with our own car. I felt for the people trying to return home to work and other obligations.
Does Allegiant have two flights in to Sanford from your final destination? What I have noticed with Allegiant is that the replacement plane is really just another regularly scheduled flight that they will try to squeeze a few people on. But for the most part that flight is also probably already full. They will delay, delay, delay and then say the next available flight is at a certain day and time. In reality, it is just the next regularly schedule flight that they run between the locations. That said, they are cheap, though I have never flown them. We fly Frontier now and then, which runs a similar business model.

I have been helping a coworker book a cruise from Tampa. Round trip with Allegiant is only $220 but with any other airline it would be $600. They are going with Allegiant, but I have recommended they buy travel insurance and they are flying in to the port city the day before. So if their flight is cancelled, they can book with another airline and be covered by the travel insurance.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Of course the seat belt signs were on so we couldn't get up to talk to our son .. Yes that is correct our son asked for the vouchers for all three of us and they gave them to a 13 year old kid with no parents in sight and never even asked him to stay there until we showed up.
OK, so based on your own experience, you can see that airlines tend to think of all people as passengers, regardless of their age. At 13, I think he could have flown unescorted. Delta is not my favorite airline, either. And the airline which wouldn't help with my seating has since been absorbed into another airline.
I already have heard the horror stories about Allegiant. I had considered flying them out of Ft Wayne IN to AZ but there really wasn't much savings and the times or days did not work. I was going early to the wedding to help. Housing is going to be my next issue. The wedding is in Des Moines, IA, so it will be interesting to see what my options are.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
my personal experience in flying with kids, I thought it was a fair question. I had a cross country flight once where my kids were NOT seated next to me and I got no help from the airline. I had to take it upon myself to ask others to switch seats with us. More recently, a friend was very upset that his 3yo was not seated next to him on a fight to Israel.

It is fair. I think she won't have a problem with a two year old but I could be wrong. I was never separated from my kiddo until he was 6 years old. I have seen other families spread out on planes but they're always school-age (6 and up). Also, unaccompanied minors do NOT need to sit next to staff on any airline that I know of (certainly not the rule for American or Southwest or Delta) and Allegiant does not allow unaccompanied minors anyway.

Also, on their website it says:
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) recommends that infants and small children who weigh under 40 pounds be secured in an FAA-approved car seat or harness-type device when traveling by air."
Just a reminder that flying with a baby or toddler as a "lapchild" is allowed but not safe nor recommended.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
OK, so based on your own experience, you can see that airlines tend to think of all people as passengers, regardless of their age. At 13, I think he could have flown unescorted. Delta is not my favorite airline, either. And the airline which wouldn't help with my seating has since been absorbed into another airline.
I already have heard the horror stories about Allegiant. I had considered flying them out of Ft Wayne IN to AZ but there really wasn't much savings and the times or days did not work. I was going early to the wedding to help. Housing is going to be my next issue. The wedding is in Des Moines, IA, so it will be interesting to see what my options are.

I'm not sure if the age limits are standard with all airlines but it appears with most airlines ages 5-14 are considered an unaccompanied minor if they are flying alone. Under 5 they must be accompanied by another passenger at least 15-18 years old depending on the airline.

There are a number of legal ramifications if anything were to go wrong on a flight and you or another adult accompanying you weren't at least seated with, across the aisle, or in the row in front of or behind all of your children. Think about the safety instructions, on every single flight; they instruct you to secure your own oxygen mask before seeing to your children. My first question to the gate agents and flight attendants would be who is going to be responsible for helping my child/grandchild in an emergency?

We live in the age of the internet and cell phones. People take pictures and videos and can research almost anything with their phones. Can you even imagine the worldwide outcry and the lawsuit awards if an airline neglected to ensure that your child was seated close to you and in searching the internet you identified one of the child's seatmates as being a registered sex offender?

I'm remembering the time my granddaughter threw up on a flight when she was about 3.5 years old. She was napping, suddenly woke up and proceeded to throw up with no warning. I was quick and shoved my jacket in front of her so the mess wasn't bad. I always have a couple of plastic grocery bags and a change of clothes for her. I double wrapped my jacket and her clothes so no one had to smell the vomit. Fortunately there was no one in the other seat in our row that flight. About 15 minutes later she threw up again but at least this time I had another plastic bag ready just in case. I held her and kept her calm so she wasn't crying or screaming like most kids that age would have been. The flight attendants hadn't even been aware that there was anything going on until I had to ask them for a plastic bag as I had used my last one. They even offered me, gasp, a free bottle of water but I had water and a couple of paper towels left from our first trip to the bathroom to clean up so all I needed was another bag. Anyhow I'm imagining what that would have been like for her and her seatmates if she hadn't been seated with me. When my son and DIL picked us up I told them she had been sick and was warm when she first woke up but by the time we got home she was fine. Kids!

Except for that one time which was easily fixed we've always been assigned seats next to our granddaughter. There has only been a very few times our son, DIL or I have flown the major airlines with her. Most the flights were on Spirit and occasionally Allegiant. I haven't used Frontier in about 2 years now since they dropped the flights out of Fort Lauderdale except for Trenton and Cincinnati in favor of Miami for the other cities. My husband has flown a lot over the years for work in addition to our personal flights. When I tell him his options for his work flights he will choose Spirit if they have flights where he is going and we aren't even paying for the flights so price isn't a consideration. He and I would both tell you that we have been very pleased with Spirit. However I should add that I am 5'6", he is 5'9" and neither one of us has long legs. Besides getting great prices with Spirit and Allegiant too the one thing we really like about both of them is that we can almost always get nonstop flights. Neither one of us is a fan of layovers and plane changes and nonstop flights can be hard to find with the big carriers. On one flight for work this year my husband was on a brand new plane with Southwest and was really disappointed because the seats were smaller and not comfortable. He recently had the opportunity to fly Jet Blue for the first time for a work trip and I warned him not to get too spoiled!

Flying isn't a once or twice a year big event for us so our criteria is get us to where we are going as conveniently and inexpensively as possible. I'm not going to pay twice the price or more just to get a free beverage and pretzels. We spend the $69.95 renewal price to be in the Spirit $9 fare club to get the lowest prices on flights and bags. I book on the Spirit website, I know when to book to get the best prices, I know to pay for the bags when I book the flights and we print our own boarding passes. When I hear anyone say they paid what I consider a lot for a Spirit flight it is either because they didn't know the ins and outs of booking with Spirit or they were flying very last minute when no cheap flights were available. This Spring I spent $214, total not per flight, for 3 round trip non stop flights from Fort Lauderdale to Cleveland, Ohio with one shared checked bag each way. Other people are completely happy to pay that much for a single flight to not have to fly a discount airline and that is their money, their choice and their business.

Funny story about last minute flights. They aren't always expensive. In March I took our granddaughter back to Ohio while my husband was out of town for work. He was picking up my car at the off site parking when his flight got in and called to ask where my house keys were. In my purse of course because you don't leave your house keys with the parking people, duh. It never occurred to me that he wouldn't have taken his own house keys with him and to hide my house keys in the car. We have very expensive hurricane rated doors and the specialty lock would have cost around $250 to replace if a locksmith had to drill the lock out to get him in. An emergency call from a locksmith isn't cheap either. I whipped open my laptop and started searching the different airlines for flights. I found a flight home on Allegiant for $72 leaving in two hours and was at the airport in 45 minutes from the time he called. Our neighbor now has a key!

We've noticed in the past year that the Spirit flight attendants seem to be making a real effort to up their game. Even the pilots are talking more too. All the bad publicity the major carriers have been getting from incidents probably has something to do with it. I've had a couple of attendants do pre-flight instructions that were funnier than some of the routines we've seen in comedy clubs! On another recent flight one of the attendants had a bag of lollipops she was passing out to the kids half way through the flight.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
It is fair. I think she won't have a problem with a two year old but I could be wrong. I was never separated from my kiddo until he was 6 years old. I have seen other families spread out on planes but they're always school-age (6 and up). Also, unaccompanied minors do NOT need to sit next to staff on any airline that I know of (certainly not the rule for American or Southwest or Delta) and Allegiant does not allow unaccompanied minors anyway.

Also, on their website it says:
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) recommends that infants and small children who weigh under 40 pounds be secured in an FAA-approved car seat or harness-type device when traveling by air."
Just a reminder that flying with a baby or toddler as a "lapchild" is allowed but not safe nor recommended.

I always thought that unaccompanied minors were seated near the flight attendants, either in the front or the back of the plane. That the flight attendants were supposed keep an eye on them and see to their safety in an emergency.

This is what I found for unaccompanied minors on some of the airline's websites:

American policy: Our unaccompanied minor service is to ensure your child is boarded onto the aircraft, introduced to the flight attendant, chaperoned during connections and released to the appropriate person at their destination. Please note our flight attendants cannot continuously monitor an unaccompanied minor during their flight.

Delta recommends that children be seated in the rear of the aircraft to be near a Flight Attendant for safety.

United says seating near the front of the aircraft right in the center of the action, when available.

Southwest says a Flight Attendant will check on the UM periodically, as duties allow, but will not continuously monitor the child throughout the flight.

Jet Blue: Unaccompanied minors will be safely seated in the back of the aircraft.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, all, for the good information and lively discussion. doug26364's post jolted both of us into realizing Allegiant was probably a bad option for this particular trip. I fly the major airlines quite often and deal with the typical cancelled flights, mechanical issues, etc. At least with the majors there are usually some options. I can see how that would be a problem with a carrier with one flight a day out of certain airports. My daughter doesn't fly often. Her last trip by air was when she was pregnant and they flew American. American left them stranded for two extra nights on Nantucket, where their only lodging options were a small fortune. This was due to a flight cancelled by weather out of Washington DC. The delay cost them several hundred dollars they couldn't really afford. The airline didn't even offer to help them find a place to stay.

This trip will be the first trip to Disney World for her husband, toddler, and infant. They have no flexibility on return date and plan to buy Disney tickets in advance for the exact number of days they will be there. They are also meeting us and part of her husband's family there. Arriving a day late would be a real bummer, so they will probably bite the bullet and fly American at $400+ each. Knoxville has some of the worst airfares in the country. They considered driving to Nashville or Atlanta to fly Southwest as we do sometimes, but the savings weren't enough for them to want to give up any vacation time. Her husband has to work the night before.

Thanks again.

Sheila