• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui lahaina vs napili buying resale?

chileaquiles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am looking into buying a Maui week ideally in the napili tower and was wondering if you buy the napili tower can you request only to stay in the napili tower? I noticed within the marriott owner site I don't see an option using dc points to only request Napili. I see separation for the new towers vs old but not between the new towers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No-ish. MOC Sequel reservations cover both Napili and Lahaina. But Oceanview and Garden View are only in the Lahaina tower, and Island View is only in Napili. But if you make an Oceanfront reservation using either weeks or DPs you can be placed in either tower. That said, if you have a fixed week then you get the room (and tower) of your fixed week.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
This....

No-ish. MOC Sequel reservations cover both Napili and Lahaina. But Oceanview and Garden View are only in the Lahaina tower, and Island View is only in Napili. But if you make an Oceanfront reservation using either weeks or DPs you can be placed in either tower. That said, if you have a fixed week then you get the room (and tower) of your fixed week.

We own three 2 bdroom weeks in Napili, 2 being OF and 1 Island view. It's funny, some folks really prefer Lahaina tower as it doesn't have the parking hassle of Napili, and the bldg is closer to the water's edge. We actually prefer Napili for a variety of reasons but both towers are gorgeous and the location of the resort is awesome. Good luck!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own three 2 bdroom weeks in Napili, 2 being OF and 1 Island view...
We've only stayed once thus far...at Napili. And I'll probably ask for Lahaina in 2018 to see what it is like. But if I were to stay using DPs I would try for Island View Napili - the views of Puʻu Kukui were stunning.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our experience (we own OF 2br) whether we lock off or not, we get either tower. Some of the higher floors in Napili were sold as fixed weeks, yet we end up on the ninth floor often as not. Great views from either tower. Just happy to get in during whale season.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
This....

We own three 2 bdroom weeks in Napili, 2 being OF and 1 Island view. It's funny, some folks really prefer Lahaina tower as it doesn't have the parking hassle of Napili, and the bldg is closer to the water's edge. We actually prefer Napili for a variety of reasons but both towers are gorgeous and the location of the resort is awesome. Good luck!

I am interested in the Napili Villas. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what are the reasons you prefer the Napili Villas over the Lahaina Villas. Thanks.

chileaquiles

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spend most of our time on the beach. We rent surfboards and just surf right in front. Since it is closer less time to walk over from the lahaina tower with all the stuff (cooler, chairs, umbrella, etc.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We spend most of our time on the beach. We rent surfboards and just surf right in front. Since it is closer less time to walk over from the lahaina tower with all the stuff (cooler, chairs, umbrella, etc.)
Isn't it great when those are the biggest issues of the day. ;-)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I am interested in the Napili Villas. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what are the reasons you prefer the Napili Villas over the Lahaina Villas. Thanks.

The beach is much nicer in front of Napili Villas than in front of Lahaina Villas. For someone spending alot of time on the beach, or walking north alot to Blackrock or Whalers Village, Napili will be preferable.

Lahaina Villas has more trees offering better shade, better BBQ infrastructure, and is modestly closer to the ocean. These are some of the reasons I prefer Lahaina Villas over Napili Villas.

For someone who has an OF category room, I recall that there are almost twice as many non-fixed weeks in Napili versus Lahaina, and therefore higher probability that you will be in Napili.

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
This October will be our first stay in our OF unit, so we are interested to see which tower and floor will be assigned to us.

Our initial impression based on insights from Tuggers is to prefer the Lahaina tower and I understand why. However, the view from the Napili tower when we completed a tour last year made a significant impression on us that led to us buying an OF unit starting this year. While I think we still prefer Lahaina, I suspect the most important factor will be the floor assignment. Either tower will provide a fantastic experience for us.

MOC is such a beautiful property and in such a great location that we can't wait for October to get here.

Best regards.

Mike

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I stayed in a Lahaina Villas OF 3-bedroom unit in February/March 2017. These are some things I liked:
- More resale fixed units to choose when purchasing
- Close to parking garage
- Right above the beach - amazing view from higher floors
- Quiet (very little pool noise on ocean facing side), nice ocean sounds
- Lots of shade on grassy areas
- Entry-way of 3-bedroom unit has a closet and area to store snorkels and beach things
- The bedroom with two queen-sized beds in the 3-bedroom unit has a nice chair next to a semi-bay window
- 12-floors provides more opportunity to get higher floors
- Close to outdoor restaurant

These are some things I think are better at Napili Villas than at Lahaina Villas:
- A few minutes closer to better beach, Whalers Village, and Black Rock
- More 2-bedroom units with OF view

These are some things I think are better at Napili Villas 3-bedroom units:
- Main lanai of 3-bedroom unit is larger than the Lahaina Villas 3-bedroom lanai
- The 3-bedroom unit lock-off room has a slightly better ocean view than the Lahaina Villas 3-bedroom lock-off room