• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MOC still sending welcome letters to owners before check in?

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm used to hearing from the MOC two weeks before our check in, asking about our preferences. I got a letter, but it sounds like it's meant for someone who's never been there before. Is this the new type of welcome letter?? Does anyone have the email for the room coordinator?
Mahalo!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Seems to be the norm now; I received a welcome packet last year that contained the week's activities, etc. You can contact the room coordinator at marynor.pacleb@vacationclub.com or 808-662-8923.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
These are getting more and more generic (unless they are seeking to snatch your body for a tour), in an apparent effort to reduce the number of room requests.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, just returned from Maui Ocean Club. Disappointing, that a few of the small details, that made us feel recognized as owners, were gone. The welcome letter, that was specific to this being our deeded, "Home resort", the flower leis at check-in (which were there, but for sale!), and the owner's reception. Not to mention, that as a "Home Resort" owner, we didn't get our request for a room, 4th floor or above. They said 3rd. floor was as close as they could get us. Yes, I requested a year in advance. I bet there were point holders above us! :mad:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I just got my Preference Request email, which was a joke, because there wasn't anywhere to specify preferences. I could sign up for villa cleanings and request a highchair or crib. Other than that, nothing. At my home resort (MGV) we are able to state high or low floor, and select our preferred view (golf, lake, or pool). As an exchanger, I am assuming I'll get the dreaded parking lot view.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I doubt anyone actually reads those secondary room preferences emails, anyway; all of the items you listed can be selected when you make the initial reservation (for owners at MOC). Just contact the room coordinator a week or two before your stay to see if they can help you out.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
You can talk to MVCI reservations anytime after you finalize the reservation and add your room preferences. Contacting the room coordinator a couple weeks before your arrival to verify your preferences doesn't hurt.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can talk to MVCI reservations anytime after you finalize the reservation and add your room preferences. Contacting the room coordinator a couple weeks before your arrival to verify your preferences doesn't hurt.
We will be checking into MOC in slightly less than 3 weeks. A few days ago, after replying to the 'preferences' email, I did send an email to 'marynor' room coordinator with our (high floor, best possible view) villa request. Would you suggest we follow this up with a phone call in a week or two, to the phone number listed above for her, assuming I dont hear back from her (which I assume I won't)?

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I've always gotten a return email, so if you don't, I'd call a couple weeks out and ask for room designations. Simply ask to make sure she has your preferences noted correctly. I assume they get inundated with these communications, so I do my best to keep it short and simple. They have their prioritization rules, so as long as you are optimized there, you should be good...

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
We last went to MOC over July 4th last year (2016) on an II exchange. I found their room coordinator and process very nice to deal with. It appears to be more straight forward than other resorts. I recall being asked for preferences via email, then later receiving an email confirming my view (same as on my II exchange - OV). Within my view category, I got the exact building and location in the building we requested (Molakai bldg facing Napili). Even as an II exchanger over July 4th, I was impressed. Perhaps I was lucky?!?

To compare, I own 2 weeks at Marriott Grande Vista. Every time we go, we have NEVER gotten even the building we requested. It is always a battle. I think perhaps they may have just too many villas to manage room requests for? While building/view at Grande Vista isn't the same as MOC....it's still very very frustrating as a multi-week owner there to be placed in the opposite location than requested. Given the Grande Vista campus scale, that could mean a long walk to the pools with all the kids stuff.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We last went to MOC over July 4th last year (2016) on an II exchange. I found their room coordinator and process very nice to deal with. It appears to be more straight forward than other resorts. I recall being asked for preferences via email, then later receiving an email confirming my view (same as on my II exchange - OV). Within my view category, I got the exact building and location in the building we requested (Molakai bldg facing Napili). Even as an II exchanger over July 4th, I was impressed. Perhaps I was lucky?!?

To compare, I own 2 weeks at Marriott Grande Vista. Every time we go, we have NEVER gotten even the building we requested. It is always a battle. I think perhaps they may have just too many villas to manage room requests for? While building/view at Grande Vista isn't the same as MOC....it's still very very frustrating as a multi-week owner there to be placed in the opposite location than requested. Given the Grande Vista campus scale, that could mean a long walk to the pools with all the kids stuff.

I wrote to the room coordinator at MOC in mid-June with my preferences for room location for our upcoming August reservation. I didn't hear anything back from her until last week, which was also when I got the Preferences email asking for my preferences. Both emails arrived on the same day (one from her, noting my preferences and the standard Preferences email, which I also filled out.) I don't know yet where we'll end up, so I don't know if my email helped or not.

Like you, we are multi-week owners at Grande Vista. I used to get my room preferences there every time, but for the last 5 years or so we don't get anything close to our preferred view/location. I wonder why that is? It seems that when they changed the Preferences email to be so generic, we stopped getting what we wanted. At check-in, I always express my disappointment and ask if there is a villa in our preferred location. So far there always is, but we have to wait for it to be cleaned. Given that we usually arrive around 1:00, this means we always end up waiting until after 4:00 for our villa. But at least we get our preferred location.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, so even exchangers were probably in a room I requested! Just doesn't seem fair. Lucky you though!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wrote to the room coordinator at MOC in mid-June with my preferences for room location for our upcoming August reservation. I didn't hear anything back from her until last week, which was also when I got the Preferences email asking for my preferences. Both emails arrived on the same day (one from her, noting my preferences and the standard Preferences email, which I also filled out.) I don't know yet where we'll end up, so I don't know if my email helped or not.

Like you, we are multi-week owners at Grande Vista. I used to get my room preferences there every time, but for the last 5 years or so we don't get anything close to our preferred view/location. I wonder why that is? It seems that when they changed the Preferences email to be so generic, we stopped getting what we wanted. At check-in, I always express my disappointment and ask if there is a villa in our preferred location. So far there always is, but we have to wait for it to be cleaned. Given that we usually arrive around 1:00, this means we always end up waiting until after 4:00 for our villa. But at least we get our preferred location.
I thought all resort check in times are 4:00?
I know that we sometimes get in earlier, which is great.
If it makes a difference though to us getting a preferred villa placement, I will very happily sit by the pool or have a long leisurely meal or go for walk/drive or whatever I need to.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I thought all resort check in times are 4:00?
I know that we sometimes get in earlier, which is great.
If it makes a difference though to us getting a preferred villa placement, I will very happily sit by the pool or have a long leisurely meal or go for walk/drive or whatever I need to.

Check-in time is 4:00, but that doesn't mean you can't arrive early. They ask what time you expect to arrive on the villa preference form. It seems to me that if you expect to arrive early, they try to accommodate you. At my home resort, they almost always have a villa ready for us when we arrive early. Usually it's not the preferred location, so we end up waiting until 4:00 anyway.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check-in time is 4:00, but that doesn't mean you can't arrive early. They ask what time you expect to arrive on the villa preference form. It seems to me that if you expect to arrive early, they try to accommodate you. At my home resort, they almost always have a villa ready for us when we arrive early. Usually it's not the preferred location, so we end up waiting until 4:00 anyway.
Agreed, I believe we are probably saying the same thing in slightly different ways.