• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After Owner Presentation, Encore deal?

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
Hello, just wanted to get opinions on the deal. I think its a great deal and if I ask my kids (of course) they said get it. Lol

Just finished the owners update/presentation at MKO and was so happy it was no pressure and got Neal. Very nice guy and so chill.
Their offer for hybrid is no enrollment fee (waived) but they all said they dont know how long it will last and working with me to buy at least 1000 pts. THey said normally 1500 is minimum but they knew we were not interested and offered 1k but I still said i'll think about it.

Anyway, the Encore offer was 50% room rates and i would pay $295 now, and $1500 split into 10 monthly payments for a 6 night stay, 2 yrs to use. And taking this offer will hold the price of the points now, at $13+ per point so when we come back and use the 6 nights package, and decide then that we need to buy points then, it holds the price now if it did increase. I really have no desire to pay that price for points and if I ever would want to, i would rather buy resale (actually thinking about it). So is this a good deal to take advantage of the 6 night stay? I asked and David said no pressure or onligation to buy loints when you return to use the 6 nights.

Overall, very happy with ltesentation and some questions I had wete answered, and No pressure

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Welcome!

Encore is not necessarily a good deal. We signed for one at MKO a couple of years ago while at MKO and cancelled it before we left.
"They don't know how how long it will last". Of course they do. It will last until they know you are not interested.
They are selling you 6 nights for $1795 ($300 a night). Same as $2100 for a week. Did it include a rental car? Ours was to include one.
How many BR? I assume it was a 1BR, which is what they offered us. Island view or Ocean view?
Go to Redweek and look at 1 week rentals at Ko Olina.
VERY easy to find a week for $2100 or less.

If you want to get into Marriott Timeshare, definitely go resale. I'm certain they only talked about points, where buying enough points to stay a week at Ko Olina would only cost about $60K? Did they tell you that you could buy a Ko Olina deeded week on resale market for around 90% less than that for a 2 BR annual island view? I'm betting not.

If you are considering Ko Olina (also look into Waiohai), my advice is to rent. Research resale week topic on TUG and look at prices on Redweek. If you still want to buy, buy resale. If you buy from Marriott, we are going to see you on TUG asking how to rescind. Trust me.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The cost effectiveness for us was marginal, EXCEPT, it included enrollment of my pre-2010 week...giving me the option to buy or rent points in the future.

Other than that, you just need to decide if the trip has value. While we did buy the Hawaii package, they also offered a CONUS resort package for less. Kind of wish I'd just taken that to use at Newport or somewhere we hadn't been...with lower airfare costs.

Will be interesting if they mention my portfolio of weeks growing since our last visit...all resale and no points. ;-)

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
That is interesting. How much were they asking to enroll the pre-2010 week? Was enrollment contingent on buying points?

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
You know, my memory isn't what it used to be. You reminded me that they offered me much the same deal. I forget the price, but I told them the only way I would consider anything is if they allowed me to enroll my resale weeks. I think this was in 2012. The salesperson swore up and down that my weeks could be enrolled if I agreed to purchase points. Something like 250 points, plus I'd get 800 bonus points good for a year. Plus a 6-night encore visit with rental car. Wish I could recall the price, but I'm sure it "was a great deal" according to them.

Turns out that a few days later they contacted me to say that my weeks could NOT be enrolled. Sorry Charlie. They changed the offer to be just like the OP - encore week plus the option to buy points "at a locked in discount". So we backed out of the deal.

in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get to enroll. We have purchased more weeks since then, and they wouldn't have been able to enroll, so I'd still be half-in/half-out.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, my memory isn't what it used to be. You reminded me that they offered me much the same deal. I forget the price, but I told them the only way I would consider anything is if they allowed me to enroll my resale weeks. I think this was in 2012. The salesperson swore up and down that my weeks could be enrolled if I agreed to purchase points. Something like 250 points, plus I'd get 800 bonus points good for a year. Plus a 6-night encore visit with rental car. Wish I could recall the price, but I'm sure it "was a great deal" according to them.

Turns out that a few days later they contacted me to say that my weeks could NOT be enrolled. Sorry Charlie. They changed the offer to be just like the OP - encore week plus the option to buy points "at a locked in discount". So we backed out of the deal.

in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get to enroll. We have purchased more weeks since then, and they wouldn't have been able to enroll, so I'd still be half-in/half-out.
We are half-in/half-out, well nearer two thirds in/one third out.
It is not ideal and we would have preferred total enrolment.
Our unenrolled weeks are all in our favourite short haul location that we plan to stay in every though, whilst sometimes with our enrolled weeks we will elect for points or Interval exchange to other resorts so this actually works out OK for us.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Hello, just wanted to get opinions on the deal. I think its a great deal and if I ask my kids (of course) they said get it. Lol

Just finished the owners update/presentation at MKO and was so happy it was no pressure and got Neal. Very nice guy and so chill.
Their offer for hybrid is no enrollment fee (waived) but they all said they dont know how long it will last and working with me to buy at least 1000 pts. THey said normally 1500 is minimum but they knew we were not interested and offered 1k but I still said i'll think about it.

Anyway, the Encore offer was 50% room rates and i would pay $295 now, and $1500 split into 10 monthly payments for a 6 night stay, 2 yrs to use. And taking this offer will hold the price of the points now, at $13+ per point so when we come back and use the 6 nights package, and decide then that we need to buy points then, it holds the price now if it did increase. I really have no desire to pay that price for points and if I ever would want to, i would rather buy resale (actually thinking about it). So is this a good deal to take advantage of the 6 night stay? I asked and David said no pressure or onligation to buy loints when you return to use the 6 nights.

Overall, very happy with ltesentation and some questions I had wete answered, and No pressure
Do you own weeks that can be enrolled in the DC program (to make the waived enrollment fee worth anything) or would this be buying points just to own some points?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Do you own weeks that can be enrolled in the DC program (to make the waived enrollment fee worth anything) or would this be buying points just to own some points?
To the OP: If they didn't enroll your (purchased pre 6/2010) weeks for free, rescind the encore package stat.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club

I already own a week at MKO, bought resale. I didnt end up taking the encore package after reading the replies here and what brianFox said (thanks Brian) that i can get that price if i really wanted to go back next year. THeir offer was for a 1 bedroom, island view and does NOT include car rental. It does include $150 gift and 30K MR points when we return to use the encore package. If we do decide to buy points at that time, we will be able to buy points at the same price now, plus waive the enrollment fee to enroll my weeks to points. I guess i will have the ability to change my weeks to points yearly if I choose to.. hope that makes sense. And they will allow me to buy only 1K points (actually that im not sure of that offer is still good when we return, or only if I did it at the presentatiom yeaterday, but im pretty sure offer is still good when we return to use the encore package... again, i chose to NOT get the package. They said i have until today to decide. Yesterday i was told had to decide by end of day. I called EOD and said to call back today ifni change my mind.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
Welcome!

Encore is not necessarily a good deal. We signed for one at MKO a couple of years ago while at MKO and cancelled it before we left.
"They don't know how how long it will last". Of course they do. It will last until they know you are not interested.
They are selling you 6 nights for $1795 ($300 a night). Same as $2100 for a week. Did it include a rental car? Ours was to include one.
How many BR? I assume it was a 1BR, which is what they offered us. Island view or Ocean view?
Go to Redweek and look at 1 week rentals at Ko Olina.
VERY easy to find a week for $2100 or less.

If you want to get into Marriott Timeshare, definitely go resale. I'm certain they only talked about points, where buying enough points to stay a week at Ko Olina would only cost about $60K? Did they tell you that you could buy a Ko Olina deeded week on resale market for around 90% less than that for a 2 BR annual island view? I'm betting not.

If you are considering Ko Olina (also look into Waiohai), my advice is to rent. Research resale week topic on TUG and look at prices on Redweek. If you still want to buy, buy resale. If you buy from Marriott, we are going to see you on TUG asking how to rescind. Trust me.

There are so many timeshare and condo rentals in Hawaii, we've rented from owners multiple times. I get daily emails from Redweek on new listings at the resorts I am interested in. Listed rental prices are negotiable.
The rental price is equivalent or less than the yearly maintenance fees. Rates of $2000 per week are easy to find and you can pay as you go and only pay if you want to go. You can rent months in advance or you can find last minute deals. (I'm completely turned off by the 13 and 12 month rules to reserve a timeshare through Marriott).
There is also a huge market for very reasonably priced condo and luxury home rentals. You can vette the complexes, owners, management companies on the internet. You can rent directly from the owner or through a third party.
Buying a timeshare in Hawaii remains a head scratcher to me.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I already own a week at MKO, bought resale. I didnt end up taking the encore package after reading the replies here and what brianFox said (thanks Brian) that i can get that price if i really wanted to go back next year. THeir offer was for a 1 bedroom, island view and does NOT include car rental. It does include $150 gift and 30K MR points when we return to use the encore package. If we do decide to buy points at that time, we will be able to buy points at the same price now, plus waive the enrollment fee to enroll my weeks to points. I guess i will have the ability to change my weeks to points yearly if I choose to.. hope that makes sense. And they will allow me to buy only 1K points (actually that im not sure of that offer is still good when we return, or only if I did it at the presentatiom yeaterday, but im pretty sure offer is still good when we return to use the encore package... again, i chose to NOT get the package. They said i have until today to decide. Yesterday i was told had to decide by end of day. I called EOD and said to call back today ifni change my mind.
Did you buy your week before 6/2010? It may be worthwhile if you get it enrolled.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Buying a timeshare in Hawaii remains a head scratcher to me.

Here's an example where it's not a head scratcher at all (at least for our needs):

1.) We want to stay in the Kaanapali Resort on Maui during winter whale season
2.) Most years we will probably only need a 1BR
3.) We want ocean front or, at a minimum, ocean view
4.) We aren't comfortable with a multi-thousand dollar direct-from-owner rental on Redweek, VRBO, etc

Based on those goals, our rental options for a 1BR in the Kaanapali Resort are:

1.) Rent Marriott's Maui Ocean Club on Marriott.com or similar corporate travel sites. Cost: $630 to over $700/night for a 1BR or $4500 to $5000/week
2.) Rent a condo at The Whaler from the resort or a local Maui rental agency. Cost $4600 to $5600/week
3.) Rent a condo at the Kaanapali Alii from the resort or a local Maui rental agency. Cost $5700 to $6400/week.

So, with that as a yardstick, buying a resale EOY 1BR Marriott Maui Ocean Club for $5000 to $7000, plus roughly $2000/use year in maintenance fees is a much more cost effective way to travel to Kaanapali for a week every other year.

We haven't bought an EOY Maui week yet, but are considering doing so in the next several months. If all we decide to do is buy the week to use, we'll buy a third-party resale, but if we decide to also try to add to our DC Point totals for other travel needs, we may do a hybrid bundle from Marriott built around a resale 1BR MOC week (if they have one, but right now they have no 1BR OV/OF listed online).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they have one, but right now they have no 1BR OV/OF listed online...
From our 'For what it's worth department' I can tell you that when we went to a sales presentation at MOC last December they did have more inventory than what was shown on the MVCI website (I looked just before we went down to the presentation). But no EOY Even OF Napili/Lahaina 2BRs...which was the only thing I might have bought. If you have an MVCI salesrep you've liked you can always contact them and see what they have.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a presentation at Summitt Watch yesterday. Since we realized that our Monarch week would never give us enough DC points to do anything, they tried to get us to buy a forclosure week resale and another 2000 points. They did not offer an Encore package which might interest us if it would enroll our Monarch week (purchased 1999 resale from Marriott) into the points program and then we could look at renting or buying additional points, or just backing to do a big trip. How do you get an Encore presentation?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Call Marriott corporate sales or just ask if still there. Ours was a late offer after we left long presentation and I ran into the MOC sales director in the center later that afternoon.

It's usually offered by a separate salesman after you leave your session, having not bought.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We did a presentation at Summitt Watch yesterday. Since we realized that our Monarch week would never give us enough DC points to do anything, they tried to get us to buy a forclosure week resale and another 2000 points. They did not offer an Encore package which might interest us if it would enroll our Monarch week (purchased 1999 resale from Marriott) into the points program and then we could look at renting or buying additional points, or just backing to do a big trip. How do you get an Encore presentation?
The encore is offered by the last person you see, who asks how everything went and gets you to sign for your gift. (See my post in the other thread.)

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a call about the Encore presentation today. Interestingly, it was the sales office at Mountainside that called, not Summitt Watch. The Encore presentation package is now $995 for 5 days/4 nights package, and it will bring our week into the DC points program. That is the main reason we are doing it. We pay $185 a year as "club dues" but it covers our II memebership and exchange fees if we decide to exchange the week or MR points fee if we take MR points instead. BTW, our Monarch week gets 110,000 points every year if we choose that option. We get 50,000 points or $300 when we do the presentation. It freezes the points price at the current rate of $13.68 for 12 months here, and caps at the next point increase. There is a surcharge for some locations, and it does not include a rental car. The offer must be used in 18 months. I need to learn about renting points now. Thanks for the help, and information!

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the yearly fees for owning these "Club points", or "Destination points"? We are owners of one resale week, and one Marriott week. I have no intension of ever giving up our deeded weeks. Especially, since I'm sure our HOAs are a lot less than all these other fees. ?
Maui Marriott Beach Club, and Marriott Desert Springs (Each are EOY).

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
What are the yearly fees for owning these "Club points", or "Destination points"? We are owners of one resale week, and one Marriott week. I have no intension of ever giving up our deeded weeks. Especially, since I'm sure our HOAs are a lot less than all these other fees. ?

If you own only enrolled Weeks (and don't purchase Trust Points,) the only additional fee you're required to pay is the annual Club Dues fee, then depending on how you use the Week/Points there may be certain transactions for which you'll have to pay a fee. You will, of course, continue to pay the annual MF's assessed to your Weeks. From the Points FAQ:

>>- All Members must pay the annual Club Dues fee which is based on the number of DC Points that a Trust Member owns, or, for which an Exchange Member is eligible through all Enrolled Weeks, or, a combination of both. Effective with the 2016 invoices the fees are:
  • $185 Owners and Select Members
  • $225 Executive and Presidential Members
  • $250 Chairman's Club Members
(Historically this is the second Club Dues increase since the DC introduction at which time the fees ranged between $165 and $199. Effective with the 2013 fee the range was $175 to $215.)
  • The Club Dues fee covers a corporate membership in Interval International's external exchange system, as well as most Marriott and II administration and transaction fees for DC Trust and DC Exchange Members.
  • The Club Dues fee for DC Trust Members is included as a component of the annual MF's invoice, with a payment due date of December 1.
  • The Club Dues fee for DC Exchange/Enrolled Members is invoiced separately from the Weeks MF's bills, with a payment due date of December 10.<<

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

You don't have to "give up" your deeded week to participate in the Destination Club points program. When you elect to "enroll" your week, you're only adding the ability to choose to elect for points as an alternative to using you week as you always have. You make that election each year, at your option. So in one year, you may choose to book your home resort as you always have, and in another year you may choose to deposit your week in II for a trade just like always. But in another year, with an enrolled week, you may also elect to convert your week to Destination Club points to allow you to book a stay at any MVC resort without having to go through the trade/search process with II. Participating in points does not require that you ever "give up" your deeded week. When you enroll your week in the points system you pay the exact same maintenance fee for your deeded week that you always have. The only added annual fee is the $185-$250 per year club dues that Susan mentioned in the post above, but paying these dues covers your II annual membership fee and eliminates most trading fees that would normally be paid to II. So, in some cases, enrolling in the Destination Club makes sense just to save the II fees.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to "give up" your deeded week to participate in the Destination Club points program. When you elect to "enroll" your week, you're only adding the ability to choose to elect for points as an alternative to using you week as you always have. You make that election each year, at your option. So in one year, you may choose to book your home resort as you always have, and in another year you may choose to deposit your week in II for a trade just like always. But in another year, with an enrolled week, you may also elect to convert your week to Destination Club points to allow you to book a stay at any MVC resort without having to go through the trade/search process with II. Participating in points does not require that you ever "give up" your deeded week. When you enroll your week in the points system you pay the exact same maintenance fee for your deeded week that you always have. The only added annual fee is the $185-$250 per year club dues that Susan mentioned in the post above, but paying these dues covers your II annual membership fee and eliminates most trading fees that would normally be paid to II. So, in some cases, enrolling in the Destination Club makes sense just to save the II fees.
And we do make significant savings (several hundred $) each year as a result of this, with multiple lock offs and exchanges, even after paying our DC Club dues.
For us though the dues are higher than those shown in the Points FAQ at $268.17, as we also have to pay Spanish VAT on top.