• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Resale Prices low??

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another problem is bad weeks. Somebody has to own them but few people want them. Summer on HHI doesn't have the supply to meet the demand but the winter is the opposite. A hotel can balance this out because it's one owner but timeshares can't work this way unless it is a demand based maintenance fee allocation. This is the problem that Marriott solved by switching to points.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
While it only addresses one year, here's the most relevant part of the discussion of labor costs and maintenance fee:
I have no complaint with the Barony increases for 2017, as they apparently address a significant local labor issue and the hurricane issue. Neither have been annual occurrences for the past ten years and do not represent parallels with most other resort locations. Because 6% of the 2017 increase was due to the hurricane, I would expect the fees to go down next year when the hurricane issue is no longer there, but will they? We shall see.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Regarding the original topic, it appears the bottom has fallen out of the Hawaii MVC market, at least for Waiohai.
I used to see Redweek listings for $9K+ for annual Island view. They are now around $5.5K.

Likewise, Ko Olina has dropped and is (as always slightly below Waiohai).

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely not the case with Maui 2bdrm view units. They are at a high point. Not sure if it's true for Maui 2bdrm island views or 1 bdrm units.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in 2014, I paid $6700 including closing costs for an Odd EOY Ko Olina Ocean View. Right now Redweek has one listed at $4900 and another at $5000. Add add about $700 for closing costs and the price is about $1000 less than 3 years ago. After that, the next ones sell for $6900. Some people just want to get out at any cost.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am always mystified when I see Marriott St. Kitts selling on e-bay for $1.00. Is it possible? Do these sales pass ROFR? If so, why are the prices for this resort so low? Can it be because the airfare to this island is extremely high, and there are no direct flights? Also, Delta has announced that they will be offering non-stop flights from JFK starting in Dec. Will that make a difference?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am always mystified when I see Marriott St. Kitts selling on e-bay for $1.00. Is it possible? Do these sales pass ROFR? If so, why are the prices for this resort so low? Can it be because the airfare to this island is extremely high, and there are no direct flights? Also, Delta has announced that they will be offering non-stop flights from JFK starting in Dec. Will that make a difference?
I own at St Kitts and really like this resort.
Flight cost and availability from the US have certainly been a factor in keeping down resale prices.
(it is less of an issue for me in the UK, as we have direct flights and it costs a lot to fly to most MVC resorts!)
The other reasons are probably
the high Maintenance fees, although I believe this is true of all the Caribbean island resorts
the laid back, not (yet) overly developed nature of the island, although that for me is really its major advantage!

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
It's more about how the 2007 recession resets the destination travel paradigm than rising MFs.

10 years ago were the golden years when both MVC & TS owners could sell weeks with relative ease, especially high season at select resorts. Strong resale markets existed on the private side as well as with Marriott resales. After 2007 all of us, including Marriott, get a close "haircut" in valuations. All Marriott had to do is write down their losses & jumpstart their Holy Grail quest for DC points program. We owners didn't have that luxury. What came out of it is a meager private resale market & Marriott controlling re-sales by fiat using the cover of DC to cloak that fact. I'm not suggesting MVC subterfuge, just plain & simple market economics in a struggling economy where destination travel was never a priority on anyone's spending list but the bubble economy did indeed make it easier to justify higher price multiples.

The lucky ones were those who sold in 2006 & before as premiums could be had for select weeks/resorts. Also folks who came in the private resale door likely got better valuations that today might be equal to what some weeks fetch now.

Today, 15 cents on your original developer purchase price is a good deal. Just the way things are now. The irony is that the multiples MVC gets from new DC points buyers are equal or above the developer week multiples that existed just prior to the crash. Marriott's done a good job taking care of itself. I myself can't recommend to any newbie to purchase points. Best new ownership value is resale and either occupy at your resort or go fishing in the II trade barrel.

Barry

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
10 years ago were the golden years when both MVC & TS owners could sell weeks with relative ease, especially high season at select resorts. Strong resale markets existed on the private side as well as with Marriott resales. After 2007 all of us, including Marriott, get a close "haircut" in valuations....The lucky ones were those who sold in 2006 & before as premiums could be had for select weeks/resorts.

About 15-18 years ago I sold my Summer Monarch Crown Suite Week for $42,000. Does anyone know what it would bring today?

George

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Anyone know of the Ko Olina 2BR OV Annual weeks are actually passing ROFR at $9k or under?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Anyone know of the Ko Olina 2BR OV Annual weeks are actually passing ROFR at $9k or under?
I passed at $10K and would expect $9K would pass too. I just couldn't find a seller below $10K.

Please let us know if you slip one past the goalie.

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I passed at $10K and would expect $9K would pass too. I just couldn't find a seller below $10K.

Please let us know if you slip one past the goalie.

Best,

Greg

Have two offers below $9k for MKO 2BR OV Annual. Both great prices and hard to pass up. While I want 3BR MKO ($20k), the under $9k for 2BR is very hard to pass on. I expect for MKO 2BR OV Annuals, Marriott may not want at all given the high trust inventory.

For MOC 2BR, price seems to be high lately. Demand here must be high on OF units and inventory low. What I save in my MKO purchase, I'll likely add to my MOC purchase.

forestgump14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at DSV I (Desert Springs Villas I). This phase does not have ROFR. Since I own 2 weeks, I call at 13th month right at 6am PST and have been able to get the 2 weeks for Spring (March). If I wait until 12th month (for single week), I can book at 6am, and are all gone by 6:03am.

Your observation that the price is now at $500 to $2000 is not what I am seeing for DSV I for a red week. In Redweek, the going rate is around $5K to $7K.

I believe a drop in the overall prices for these Marriott weeks is due to the inability to be enrolled into DC.

Which resorts are not able to be enrolled in DC?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Which resorts are not able to be enrolled in DC?
Its not a resort thing...its a date thing. Weeks purchased on the 3rd party Resale market after June 2010 are not eligible to be enrolled, unless you happen to do so in one of the MVC allowed ways. One of which being a hybrid bundle (week and points) purchased via MVC Resale department. The other is during a special promotion that MVC will open up from time to time allowing previously ineligible weeks to be enrolled with the purchase of a certain quantity of points.

forestgump14

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, My thought would be why not have seller convert to DC points and then buy the points from them? For a Marriott week that is going extremely cheap on secondary market that seems to make more sense.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, My thought would be why not have seller convert to DC points and then buy the points from them? For a Marriott week that is going extremely cheap on secondary market that seems to make more sense.
This is not possible, because an owner does not convert to points they just enrol their week in the points programme with the option to elect for points annually.
If you buy such a week from them, you lose the right to be able to enrol it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Unfortunately there is no way to cheaply enroll or purchase an DC enrolled secondary market resale week. If there was, we would all be doing it.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Heck, I almost bought UK weeks or phuket hoping to enroll.....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
What's your thoughts on current ROFR value for 2BR annual ocean view MKO VS MM1 ? Thinking of buying /trading one..... We really liked MM1 ocean view this year

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck, I almost bought UK weeks or phuket hoping to enroll.....

I would certainly have liked to see a resort here in the UK - haha.
You could have bought a resale Phuket resort week up until mid 2016 and enrolled it, as this was the much later cutoff date there, following the mid 2012 cutoff date in Europe.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake

I'm surprised to see the new Boston Pulse MVC going for $1 on redweek and other sites. Multiple units in 'gold season' for 1 bedrooms going for $1 or $500. Is it because the MF are $1700+? I mean my dad was just there last week and we couldn't find a hotel in Boston proper for under $500/night..Even my Marriott Friends & Family rates quickly went away but prior to that, it was $350+/night for a Residence Inn. I would think these Boston Pulse units are a steal, even if its April or September usage and not prime May-July....

Am I missing something?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
What's your thoughts on current ROFR value for 2BR annual ocean view MKO VS MM1 ? Thinking of buying /trading one..... We really liked MM1 ocean view this year

MKO 2BR OV Annuals are selling for about $8.5k now +/-, which is a great price! From what I hear, they are passing ROFR at that price. It may be hard to find a seller who will let go of one for much lower than that. Looks like one passed in 4Q16 at $6.8k possibly, per the ROFR Db (http://www.rofr.net). These are a great price at $10k, excellent value at $8.5k, and a steal at $6.8k (likely at outlier)!

MM1 2BR OV Annuals are likely to be near double the price. Maui demand/inventory just drive that price higher than Ko Olina. Last one posted in the ROFR db passed at $16,200 in 4Q16. Most on RedWeek are listed at $18-19k. So, perhaps a $16-17k is within reason? I do think others stated booking high demand periods for MM1 floating weeks can be challenging, with only one week. Just be aware of that, if a concern for you.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I'm surprised to see the new Boston Pulse MVC going for $1 on redweek and other sites. Multiple units in 'gold season' for 1 bedrooms going for $1 or $500. Is it because the MF are $1700+? I mean my dad was just there last week and we couldn't find a hotel in Boston proper for under $500/night..Even my Marriott Friends & Family rates quickly went away but prior to that, it was $350+/night for a Residence Inn. I would think these Boston Pulse units are a steal, even if its April or September usage and not prime May-July....

Am I missing something?

I think the higher maintenance fees on a 1BR which Custom House is likely scares folks away. It is also a RTU property. While, one could make the justification that if you purchase low...the value of those 7 nights vs a hotel...is higher than the maintenance fees at certain times in Boston. If I recall, I think Custom House has some interesting use options as well...to split the 7 nights?

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I would certainly have liked to see a resort here in the UK - haha.
You could have bought a resale Phuket resort week up until mid 2016 and enrolled it, as this was the much later cutoff date there, following the mid 2012 cutoff date in Europe.
Obviously I meant trying to buy a week (Spain) via the UK market in an attempt to qualify. Too late obviously

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
MKO 2BR OV Annuals are selling for about $8.5k now +/-, which is a great price! From what I hear, they are passing ROFR at that price. It may be hard to find a seller who will let go of one for much lower than that. Looks like one passed in 4Q16 at $6.8k possibly, per the ROFR Db (http://www.rofr.net). These are a great price at $10k, excellent value at $8.5k, and a steal at $6.8k (likely at outlier)!

MM1 2BR OV Annuals are likely to be near double the price. Maui demand/inventory just drive that price higher than Ko Olina. Last one posted in the ROFR db passed at $16,200 in 4Q16. Most on RedWeek are listed at $18-19k. So, perhaps a $16-17k is within reason? I do think others stated booking high demand periods for MM1 floating weeks can be challenging, with only one week. Just be aware of that, if a concern for you.
Thanks very much; great analysis