• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WWYD: Flagstaff, AZ or Hot Springs, AR?

I must spend some RCI TPU, which would you choose?

• Wyndham Flagstaff, AZ

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • The Wharf, Hot Springs, AR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something Branson, MO

• Worldmark Grand Lake, OK

• Other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I'm moving around a particular reservation ... dumping Indio, CA for ... which? Of the current short list of options, which would you choose for a winter vacation?
  • Wyndham Flagstaff, AZ: 1BR unit. Easy drive from home (San Diego). Might try some skiing, visit a hot spring, visit the Grand Canyon and enjoy the immediate Flagstaff area. We visit Flagstaff's business district every year while driving through to Colorado ... might be nice to slow down and spend some time here?
  • The Wharf, Hot Springs, AR: 2BR unit. May invite family to join along. Would allow me to check Crater Diamond Mine off my "to do list" ... would fly SWA to Little Rock @ ~$420pp. Would certainly visit Hot Springs NP and try some hot spring establishments.
  • Something Branson, MO -- 2BR+, invite family to join. Catch a couple shows.
  • Worldmark Grand Lake, OK: 2BR unit very close to family. We've been before ... there wouldn't be much to do except catch up with family.
The two highlighted are my current top runners ... but open to suggestions. (These come from RCI's current inventory of options for our dates. I have a 24-hour hold on Flagstaff. I have a bunch of RCI TPU I must burn through!!)

Thanks for your comments!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
As a current Arkansas resident, please count this as one vote in support of Flagstaff.....We just returned from Sedona and had a little bit of time in Flagstaff and I would like to see more of that city. Of course, it helps that in the dead of summer (when the temps in Arkansas are about 100), the temp in Flagstaff is in the high.........70's.

7K of altitude cannot be wrong!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Bump! Just requesting a quick [VOTE] in the poll above. You needn't write a justification ... just vote your hunch. Thanks! :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not a justification, but something to think about: Flag is close to a lot of other stuff. Much more to do in the area than just hanging around town. I've been to both areas, and would chose Flagstaff for those reasons.

Dave

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm moving around a particular reservation ... dumping Indio, CA for ... which? Of the current short list of options, which would you choose for a winter vacation?
  • Wyndham Flagstaff, AZ: 1BR unit. Easy drive from home (San Diego). Might try some skiing, visit a hot spring, visit the Grand Canyon and enjoy the immediate Flagstaff area. We visit Flagstaff's business district every year while driving through to Colorado ... might be nice to slow down and spend some time here?
  • The Wharf, Hot Springs, AR: 2BR unit. May invite family to join along. Would allow me to check Crater Diamond Mine off my "to do list" ... would fly SWA to Little Rock @ ~$420pp. Would certainly visit Hot Springs NP and try some hot spring establishments.
  • Something Branson, MO -- 2BR+, invite family to join. Catch a couple shows.
  • Worldmark Grand Lake, OK: 2BR unit very close to family. We've been before ... there wouldn't be much to do except catch up with family.
The two highlighted are my current top runners ... but open to suggestions. (These come from RCI's current inventory of options for our dates. I have a 24-hour hold on Flagstaff. I have a bunch of RCI TPU I must burn through!!)

Thanks for your comments!
Forgive me, but winter? I'd go to Sedona in the winter. Great hiking! But Flag? It can be bitter cold! And, then there's the snow. OK, you might as well ask me if I would like to go to MN in the winter. LOL! I adore Hot Springs! In April when the horses are racing or summer time :) They can have the same weather issues there - snow and ice!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well ... we booked Flagstaff. Thanks for the votes and comments. :)

@ottawasquaw: Sedona would have been high on my list but I didn't care for any of the RCI offerings in that area for my specific travel dates. Maybe next time! And yes, Hot Springs, AR, is still on my list for sometime later. I still have a bunch of TPU to burn through ...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think you'll enjoy yourself quite a bit. Lots to see and do, and a winter timeframe only adds a new wrinkle to things.

Just one option: Imagine seeing a snowy sunrise at the Grand Canyon, followed by warming by the fireplace and eating an amazing gourmet breakfast in the classic, historic Fred Harvey restaurant at El Tovar? Awesome! https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/winter-visits.htm

Dave

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed that it is super easy to walk into El Tovar in the winter for a good meal and lovely view. The Turquoise Room in Winslow also offers an outstanding lunch or dinner. It's a super easy drive over for a meal from Flag. Actually, there are some very good food happenings right in Flag.
@rhonda enjoy your trip and let us know how it works out :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Forgive me, but winter? I'd go to Sedona in the winter. Great hiking! But Flag? It can be bitter cold! And, then there's the snow. OK, you might as well ask me if I would like to go to MN in the winter.LOL! I adore Hot Springs! In April when the horses are racing or summer time :) They can have the same weather issues there - snow and ice!

Now, you're talking! Minnesota in the winter is wonder to the nth degree! (Although for some, nth stands for negative.....)

Seriously though, part of my objection with Arkansas is a lack of things outdoors in the winter time. The winter weather here (when cold) is more humid and the wind produces a penetrating effect which makes things miserable without the snow. If you're going to have the cold, you might as well have the snow.

Branson would be preferable to Hot Springs due to the presence of a number of shows as options for something to do that is NOT weather dependent.

Rhonda, what is TPU?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trade Power Unit, the 'currency' of RCI Weeks deposits/exchanges.
Thank you Rhonda - you'd think as a RCI Weeks owner I'd know that but.....:ponder:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you Rhonda - you'd think as a RCI Weeks owner I'd know that but.....:ponder:
Yeah, but I gather that your RCI Weeks membership is through Wyndham? If so, then you see RCI Inventory through the Wyndham filter ... with exchange values translated back to Wyndham points, right?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, but I gather that your RCI Weeks membership is through Wyndham? If so, then you see RCI Inventory through the Wyndham filter ... with exchange values translated back to Wyndham points, right?

Your post made me realize I had NOT updated my profile - oops! I have now fixed that... My RCI Week at Pompano Beach is still with RCI (it was the first purchase).

At any rate, I can PIC my RCI Week at Pompano Beach and my RCI Points from Oakmont into Wyndham - some years I do and some I don't. Recently, I did have some unused Wyndham Points I could not use so I sent/converted/deposited them over to RCI though Wyndham (that was the first time I had ever done that...) I'd like to tell you I have some sort of grand theory with respect to the properties we have accumulated over the years, but that would be inaccurate....At this point, I am trying to get the best (most) I can out of the points/weeks we have and fulfill our vacation wants/needs/desires.

We're now at a point in life where all the kids will be moved out of the house so our vacation schedule is about to be a bit less restrictive. I actually hope we vacation more now throughout the year than we have in the past but we shall see....