• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to best use RCI

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Maui Bay Villas 1BR Plat 14.8k pts
After much consideration, I think I'll do the following:
Kauai Beach Villas for 1 week, (not sure if I should do the 1 or 2 bedroom, just two of us), and a week at HGVC MarBrisa. Need to look closer at the room codes in one of the FAQ threads.

I think I'll set up on OGS for Maui for 2019.

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
After much consideration, I think I'll do the following:
Kauai Beach Villas for 1 week, (not sure if I should do the 1 or 2 bedroom, just two of us), and a week at HGVC MarBrisa. Need to look closer at the room codes in one of the FAQ threads.

I think I'll set up on OGS for Maui for 2019.
Be aware that when you use RCI to book MarBrisa, you will be placed in the Phase 1 units. I own here and I love it, but Phase 1 has some older, more worn units that do not have washers and dryers in the units. Also, I believe the Phase 1 units can only be accessed by stairs. You have to go through the HGVC portal in order to book Phase 2 and soon, Phase 3. Regardless, the grounds and amenities are wonderful!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Reminder - RCI Points inventory starts 10 months before check-in at the earliest (some resorts release later).

1st availability of RCI Points inventory for Memorial Day weekend just opened up at 12am Eastern this morning for Friday, May 25, 2018 check-in dates.:thumbup:

Here's the fastest way to search for possible Memorial Day Weekend getaways: (In the HGVC portal, RCI's search criteria can be found in the left hand column):
  • Region: USA (a region must be selected first in order to see all of the possible RCI filters)
  • Check-in Month: May 2018
  • Length of Stay: 1-6 (for a short stay**)
  • RCI Award: Gold Crown (optional)
**NOTE: Some RCI Point Inventory require a 7 night stay (we've seen this with Disney on the TUG Sightings Forum)​

Keep in mind the high demand resort/locations will go fast. Good Luck to all.
I just booked a Memorial Day Weekend getaway at West 57th yesterday for a Thursday check-in :cheer:

Last edited:

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be aware that when you use RCI to book MarBrisa, you will be placed in the Phase 1 units. I own here and I love it, but Phase 1 has some older, more worn units that do not have washers and dryers in the units. Also, I believe the Phase 1 units can only be accessed by stairs. You have to go through the HGVC portal in order to book Phase 2 and soon, Phase 3. Regardless, the grounds and amenities are wonderful!
I should have been more specific - I used RCI for Kauai, but am going to use standard HGVC points for California. I was reading more reviews / posts and it looks like all three HGVC properties have their nice points. Need to decide between them. Such problems to have. :-D

-Matt

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One thing I missed - if you pay for an OGS, is there an additional exchange fee when you confirm something?

-Matt

Edit: From other posts, this seems like 'no'. It is an advance payment of the fee (remember, you're searching for a week), and if the fee goes up between the time you start the search and it returns...you get to pay the difference. Yay.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Setting up your Ongoing Search Request (OGS).

The recent RCI Disney thread (see link) made me realize that I didn't cover this topic.
Here are some things you should know.

(1) Finding RCI's Online OGS Form
I didn't realize that RCI buried the online OGS form. It seems that the option to select the OGS form only appears when your RCI search results fails to return an instant match online. This can easily be solved by searching for a single resort that almost never appear such as Disney Aulani (#DV11) or Disney Grand Californian (#10) then RCI will provide you with the link to setup an ongoing search request.

(2) Always setup the OGS by Resort ID codes
I always skip the regional search section on the OGS FORM. I like to pick my resorts instead of having the system automatically pick whatever resort becomes available first. Just go further down in the OGS form to the section called Resort Id Selections. You'll need to provide the Resort IDs and Check-in Data Range. You can request multiple resorts and check-in dates in one OGS. :thumbup:

(3) Viewing and Changing your Online OGS Form
Once you complete the OGS form, you can view/change it by selecting the Home icon at the top of the page and selecting "My Vacation Plans" from the dropdown. You'll find the Ongoing Searches tab here which will give you access to all of your pending search requests.

(4) RCI Reminders
RCI will contact you periodically via email & phone that your ongoing search is still active and to let them know if you want to expand your request to additional areas. Just sit tight and wait for your desired resort becomes available. ;)

Last edited:

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So - I know Diamond Resorts - Kaanapali Beach Club Resort is recommended, but what about Maui Lea at Maui Hill? I got a match on RCI! I have until the 9th to confirm or let it go...I'm thinking of taking it. Seems like a good place. :)

-Matt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
So - I know Diamond Resorts - Kaanapali Beach Club Resort is recommended, but what about Maui Lea at Maui Hill? I got a match on RCI! I have until the 9th to confirm or let it go...I'm thinking of taking it. Seems like a good place. :)
-Matt

It seems to get good reviews on TUG (8.67 out of 10)
If you have specific questions about that resort, start a new thread on the Hawaii forum - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/us-hawaii-timesharing.22/
(Maybe a new thread called Kaanapali Beach Club vs Maui Lea).

Everyone's criteria is different. Read the various comments and reviews to determine if it meets your family's needs and wants.
Some folks are only looking for clean well kept places. Others may require central air conditioning, granite counter tops, updated TVs, beach within walking distance, etc.

From the resort website - http://www.mauilea.com/
Maui Hill resort has 140 units spread out amongst 12.25 of well manicured tropical acres. Maui Lea is the timeshare entity of the property, hence our name Maui Lea at Maui Hill resort.
Built in the early eighties by developer Kraus-Anderson, a Minneapolis based company. The resort is managed by Aston Hotels and resorts, where you will find our resident Manager Dennis Costa and his staff to welcome you and to make sure your vacation needs are met.

Recent TUG thread (Mar 2017) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/so-excited-just-got-a-last-minute-trade.253007/
52 reviews on the TUG Resort DB - https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?search=Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Tripadvisor Photos and Reviews - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...eviews-Aston_Maui_Hill-Kihei_Maui_Hawaii.html
Maui Lea videos - https://vimeo.com/user49205890

Last edited:

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, the reviews in the DB are overall good...really only one of them was not. There was someone who posted a vimeo video tour of a 2 bedroom unit (which is what I searched for) and it looked nice. Unless someone has something awful to say in the next few hours I'm going to confirm it.

-Matt

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eek. I just realized it was for July, not May. Should I wait and hope for an earlier check-in, or take it?

Edit: I booked it. :)

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for the tips. I always learn from Tuggers. Maui Lea and Kaanapali Beach may be good options for Maui (while we hold our breath for HGVC Maui). Please let us know if exchangers get Ocean View Units at either resort.

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone who used RCI provide a good step by step run-down on how to use it, any tips?

I have saved 2016 HGVC points that I cannot save anymore within HGVC and it looks like converting to HHonnors or using them for cruises etc is not an efficient way to use them, therefore I don't think I have another feasible option besides using them thru RCI?

I found couple more threads regarding RCI, but they do not answer all the questions.

What are my options regarding my 2016 points? I assume I have to deposit my 2016 saved points to RCI for a fee ($99-$109). But once they are deposited - how do I access and use them? Also people here mentioned that availability on RCI is very limited this way (and it goes out up to 10 months?). I recall someone mention that chances getting better options is to set up OGS, and that costs $230? Do I still have to pay a fee to save points, and then pay a fee to set up OGS? Is OGS available for less than a week long stay? Can same OGS be set up for more that one option (say one search for multiple options: option 1, option 2, etc)?

The more I read about RCI the more disappointed I am with the system. It appears that generally quality is below HGVC standards (even for gold crown resorts, with few exceptions - HGVC being one and DVC another); there are all kinds of fees (saving points, setting OGS, and then property unique fees: resort fees, cleaning fees, parking fees, etc.); availability is very scarce for high demand destinations/properties... Is there anything I am missing? Can anyone provide counter arguments to these shortcomings?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is there anything I am missing? Can anyone provide counter arguments to these shortcomings?

What you are missing is that, due to the limited number of HGVC locations, to stay in places where you want to stay, it is sometimes necessary to go slumming and book an RCI. We have enjoyed stays in properties such as The Manhattan Club (NYC), Quarter House (NOLA), Umbrella Beach (Holmes Beach), Palm Beach Shores, and next year will stay in Worldmark Angels Camp (CA). Without RCI, none of these trips would have happened.

It's easy to be spoiled by HGVC consistent quality resorts, but our destination-objectives are not limited to the Hilton-horizon. The world is a wider place. :eek:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Is there anything I am missing? Can anyone provide counter arguments to these shortcomings?

I think you need to ask yourself if you are going to be able to use them before paying any fees, these are 2016 points and you haven’t used them and its nearing the end of 2017.

I would book a weekend in Vegas before Dec 31 in the nicest room at Elara and gamble the money you would be spending on more fees.

If you are an HGVC owner learn how to book well in advance and borrow from future years, always use your points before having to pay maint fees for them. I have 0 points for 2017 and 2018, and half the 2019 points booked for next year.

For RCI, check the Sightings forum daily, there are plenty of nice locations reported. I stayed at W57th in NYC for 3 weekdays, Laguna Surf in Laguna Beach, all from sightings posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you need to ask yourself if you are going to be able to use them before paying any fees, these are 2016 points and you haven’t used them and its nearing the end of 2017.

Clarification: I just purchased HGVC TS and it is being conveyed to me with saved 2016 points (and 2017 points). I am not too concerned with 2017 points as I will save them for $89 to 2018 and will use them then. It is the 2016 points that I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to utilize.

For RCI, check the Sightings forum daily, there are plenty of nice locations reported. I stayed at W57th in NYC for 3 weekdays, Laguna Surf in Laguna Beach, all from sightings posts.

What exactly is this? Is this sightings area of this forum? Do tuggers just post what they see and others can grab those bookings thru RCI?

Would still like for someone well versed in RCI to break down the process/clarify questions I had asked.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Clarification: I just purchased HGVC TS and it is being conveyed to me with saved 2016 points (and 2017 points). I am not too concerned with 2017 points as I will save them for $89 to 2018 and will use them then. It is the 2016 points that I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to utilize.

What exactly is this? Is this sightings area of this forum? Do tuggers just post what they see and others can grab those bookings thru RCI?

Would still like for someone well versed in RCI to break down the process/clarify questions I had asked.

There is a members only Sightings Forum, pay the $15 TUG membership and it will be available.

I imagine no one want to touch the RCI question because the web site is a hot mess :). Basically you jump through from the HGVC web site and your HGVC points show as available for booking. You can run a simple search then if it finds nothing there is an option to start an ongoing search. There is also advanced search and you can put in a string of resort IDs separated by commas. You can also look at the list of resorts, each one will have a button to click to “see available units”.

When I see a sighting I use advanced search by ID code, if I can see it I book it. Some sightings are specific to the system owned, DVC owners see more than we can, Wyndham owners see other inventory too. Its hit or miss, you just have to poke around in there.

$230 is the current exchange fee, you either pay it to set up the OGS or pay when you find something by searching manually.

If you deposit your points into RCI they can only be used there. If you use HGVC points there is no deposit fee, but you would have to book in RCI before the 2016 points expire. Its cutting it close if you are just now closing on a sale. It takes 60-75 days from sale date to get RCI access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

OK, having been in a similar boat (by the time the owners of one of my resale purchases signed the documents, I had a whole 2 months to use the points).

Yes, IMO, unless you can take a vacation at HGVC and use the points, probably the next *best* use is to pay the $89 and deposit into RCI.

I would then login to the HGVC website, and under Club Membership -> RCI account, access the RCI system via HGVC and see what's out there.

I've used RCI 4 times in the 10+ years with HGVC. Once for an exchange back into HGVC (because it actually used less points--yes, this is true sometimes, but then you're limited to doing this once every 4 years I believe for the resort/area).

Second time for the Grand Mayan in Mexico (quite nice, BTW). They now have Grand Bliss in Nuevo Vallarta, and that's even nicer.

Third time for Key West at The Galleon (very nice place to stay)--pre hurricane.

Last time for my sister at The Grand Bliss in Nuevo Vallarta because SFX didn't have 2 rooms (so I booked one via RCI).

Not all RCI resorts are "bad". Find an area you like, and then see what RCI has (in the Directory, not necessarily available). I believe it's on the RCI website (after you login via HGVC) and on the right-hand side is the Resort Directory.

Avoid any all-inclusives, BTW. Horrible value when using a timeshare.

OK, so now you have found 3-4 places you wanna stay. Look them up on Trip Advisor and read the most recent reviews, IMO.

Then call HGVC to book an OGS (IMO, you'll almost always need to do this, but sometimes they will have online availability for what you want). The price is the same, regardless. You'll have to pay the $289 or whatever fee to do the OGS. If no match is found or you cancel the OGS, you'll get a refund.

Once a match is found, I'd suggest calling and booking and tell them to MAKE SURE to use your SAVED points first.

Personally I dislike RCI because of the fees, and not all the resorts are up to "my" quality standards. However:

Look on redweek and see how much a 2 BR Grand Bliss rents for. It's MUCH cheaper to use RCI, IMO, for things like that.

Same thing for Key West. I got it for the 3400 points and the $289 (then) fee. My "cost" (MF for my 3400 points) and the fee was like $800 for the week. The unit rents for almost $2,000 on redweek.

So it's not all bad. It's better than nothing.

Hope this helps (at least I hope I answered your question)

--Kevin

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In the "use 'em or lose 'em" category... I recently deposited points to RCI.
They were from a 2016 RCI booking which I had to cancel due to the hurricane.

I consider it gravy (icing on the cake), as I thought I had lost 'em to the storm.
After dithering for 2 weeks I booked a Worldmark resort in Northern California.
... Whether it's up to Hilton-quality or not, I'm going.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Setting up your Ongoing Search Request (OGS).

The recent RCI Disney thread (see link) made me realize that I didn't cover this topic.
Here are some things you should know.

(1) Finding RCI's Online OGS Form
I didn't realize that RCI buried the online OGS form. It seems that the option to select the OGS form only appears when your RCI search results fails to return an instant match online. This can easily be solved by searching for a single resort that almost never appear such as Disney Aulani (#DV11) or Disney Grand Californian (#10) then RCI will provide you with the link to setup an ongoing search request.

(2) Always setup the OGS by Resort ID codes
I always skip the regional search section on the OGS FORM. I like to pick my resorts instead of having the system automatically pick whatever resort becomes available first. Just go further down in the OGS form to the section called Resort Id Selections. You'll need to provide the Resort IDs and Check-in Data Range. You can request multiple resorts and check-in dates in one OGS. :thumbup:

(3) Viewing and Changing your Online OGS Form
Once you complete the OGS form, you can view/change it by selecting the Home icon at the top of the page and selecting "My Vacation Plans" from the dropdown. You'll find the Ongoing Searches tab here which will give you access to all of your pending search requests.

(4) RCI Reminders
RCI will contact you periodically via email & phone that your ongoing search is still active and to let them know if you want to expand your request to additional areas. Just sit tight and wait for your desired resort becomes available. ;)

Does changing an OGS put you in back of the queue, or does it retain its original search start date?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Does changing an OGS put you in back of the queue, or does it retain its original search start date?
It should retain the original search date.

However, with that said, I don’t think I ever got a match once I extended my travel window. It’s been several years since I last tried with RCI. If you need to extended your travel window, I suggest calling RCI and asking the RCI rep to modify your existing OGS and retain the same search start date.

Just be careful with RCI reservations, they’re not as flexible as HGVC reservations.

NOTE: This is a 2017 thread.
RCI made portal changes in 2021 (link). RCI EXTRA VACATION (cash rentals) are now bookable online in 2021 (
link)

Last edited: