• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar questions

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
So technically they are all currently RTU until 2055 and then will be RTU until 2105 and so on. So effectively they are forever RTU.

I don't see anywhere in the docs where it would be renewed after the second 50 year time. I don't think it's a perpetual RTU. Maybe someone else here knows more about that?

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Trying to buy a resale at Lagunamar. Could anybody check to see if there is any availability for a 1 or 2 bedroom the last 3 weeks of Jan. 2018? Gold season . This will be my first venture with Westin and not sure how their process works. Also not sure if the seller has the flick at their end.
Please pm if someone can help
Thanks
David

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Trying to buy a resale at Lagunamar. Could anybody check to see if there is any availability for a 1 or 2 bedroom the last 3 weeks of Jan. 2018? Gold season . This will be my first venture with Westin and not sure how their process works. Also not sure if the seller has the flick at their end.
Please pm if someone can help
Thanks
David

Currently plenty of availability those weeks. It's a great resort. You are going to love it!

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
The units were sold the same and are all RTU and an equity ("membership") interest in an irrevocable trust.

According to the association docs: "Your vacation ownership interest shall continue for the duration of the plan, which will have the same duration as the irrevocable trust described in paragraph 1 of additional terms and conditions provided below, unless the members determine to terminate the plan prior to this date, as provided in the vacation plan documents. The irrevocable trust shall be valid until 2055 at which time the irrevocable trust shall be renewed by the trustee for an additional 50 years. Any cost of renewing the trust shall be included in the regular and special assessments."
Cubigbird - can you please point me to where I can find that in the association documents. I have someone buying one of my units and they want to see that language in its document - and Vistana is no help.
Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Cubigbird - can you please point me to where I can find that in the association documents. I have someone buying one of my units and they want to see that language in its document - and Vistana is no help.
Thanks
They should be on the Vistana website after you have logged in. On the Dashboard, under the 'Owners Association" tile, there is a link for 'Governing Documents'.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
They should be on the Vistana website after you have logged in. On the Dashboard, under the 'Owners Association" tile, there is a link for 'Governing Documents'.
Thanks, I've been trying to find there but its like 1,000 pages.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
How's the seaweed problem at Lagunamar? Also, I hear the ocean water can be rough at times.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Seaweed was not an issue at all when we went in Oct and April this year. We swam in the ocean almost every day. Some waves but nothing like Hawaii. There was usually a section with yellow flags each day and lifeguards.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's the seaweed problem at Lagunamar? Also, I hear the ocean water can be rough at times.
I was there over the 4th of July week. Definitely no seaweed. The ocean is usually a bit rough at times but it's great for body surfing or boogie boarding. There were definitely times when things were calm too. We spent most of our time hanging by the huge infinity edge pool. One recommendation is to go down to the beach right in the back of the Westin around 10pm to see the huge sea turtles coming on shore to lay eggs. It was almost like clock-work right around 10pm, the sea turtles would start emerging from the ocean. There were some obnoxious tourists who were getting too close and shining lights on them or taking flash pictures which would spook them. Some of us were yelling at the idiots to not scare them away and there were beach patrol people walking around asking to keep our distance as well.

blondietink

Reaction score
We have been there is September when the turtle eggs are hatching. You can watch the resort staff get the baby turtles out of their hole in the sand. Then they take them inside to make sure they are healthy. At night at dusk you can help launch the baby turtles into the ocean. It is great fun to hold those little turtles and put them in the water for the first time! Again, no flash photography or flashlights allowed.

Watford

Reaction score
We were in Cancun the week of July 19th and there was a substantial amount of seaweed in the water every day. Each day a tractor came along and buried piles of it that had collected on the beach from the previous day.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
I was there over the 4th of July week. Definitely no seaweed. The ocean is usually a bit rough at times but it's great for body surfing or boogie boarding. There were definitely times when things were calm too. We spent most of our time hanging by the huge infinity edge pool. One recommendation is to go down to the beach right in the back of the Westin around 10pm to see the huge sea turtles coming on shore to lay eggs. It was almost like clock-work right around 10pm, the sea turtles would start emerging from the ocean. There were some obnoxious tourists who were getting too close and shining lights on them or taking flash pictures which would spook them. Some of us were yelling at the idiots to not scare them away and there were beach patrol people walking around asking to keep our distance as well.
We are going in a few weeks. I am so glad I read this. No harassing, but we will definitely be watching, assuming it is still going on. We chose the time because of baby sea turtles and whale sharks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has the construction started on the pools yet? We go in 2 weeks. I am hoping it was delayed

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Has the construction started on the pools yet? We go in 2 weeks. I am hoping it was delayed
We are going in two weeks as well. They are supposed to be working on the upper pool until med September, so we are hoping the infinity pool will be fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going in two weeks as well. They are supposed to be working on the upper pool until med September, so we are hoping the infinity pool will be fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
My husband just called. They are working on the kids pool and verified the infinity pool is open!

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best way to use my weeks.

Would there be much availability weeks 1-4 using Star Options at the 8 month mark?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Trying to figure out the best way to use my weeks.

Would there be much availability weeks 1-4 using Star Options at the 8 month mark?

Yes, there is very likely to be availability during weeks 1-4 at the 8-month mark. Those weeks are considered low season. In fact, even now there is availability for all four of those weeks. Granted, only studios are available, but we are well past the 8-month mark.