• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui and Oahu Weather in December

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
A question for those who have vacationed on Maui and/or Oahu during the month of December: how has the weather been? I have seen on online sites that it tends to rain more, but the charts don't provide the entire story (rains mostly at night, etc.). I guess the key is whether the weather has a negative impact on the experience.

We are thinking of going to Ko Olina and Kaanapali in early to mid-Dec. 2018, but have never been there during December.

I understand that whale season starts Dec. 15, but am also curious if one will typically see many whales that early in the season. My DW is a CPA, so we can't get away during the peak whale season.

I appreciate your insights.

Best regards.

Mike

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Hawaii. It will rain -- sometimes every day. But the showers are definitely shorter in duration for the most part -- it will be on and off again rain for the most part. It is slightly colder during the day, and depending how windy it is, that's where I would say the rain has some impact. If it is raining and the temperature is [relatively] colder (say high 60's in the early morning and evening), it is tough to enjoy a day at the beach or the pool.

However, compared to Las Vegas, you will think it is much warmer. So ... as a former local, I'd say December is the rainiest month on average, but you still can enjoy yourself. I've gone back on vacation in December and it really is luck of the draw on how much rain you get -- however, my experience has been that it doesn't rain enough to ruin a good time, especially given how warm it is compared to a non-tropical location in winter.

-ryan

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We've stayed at Westin Ka'anapali twice during December and the weather was fine each time.

But as Ryan says, it's the luck of the draw. It is going to rain; the question is whether that's the day you are hiking or driving to Hana.

btw -- we did see whales in December both trips.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks Ryan and Robert. I appreciate your insights.

Mike

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We went last year and it wasn't the best, sad to say. We still had fun, but it definitely affected our beach days. We were on the Big Island in Waikoloa and we had a storm system planted over us. There was no where to go to get out of the rain - spent some days inside. The rain then followed us to Oahu. We had about 50/50 beach days. That said, we're going to the north shore of Kauai in mid November. Some folks never learn, lol.

taffy19

Reaction score
We did twice in Kihei. Once a week or so before Thanksgiving and once between Thanksgiving and Christmas week because we found a cheap flight and rented a condo. Weather was fine. You will see the Christmas decorations that is nice but no snow to go with it. ;)

Once we went in January and were disappointed not to see more whales than we normally see in the second half of March or the first two weeks of April but that changed too the last two years. February seems to be still the best time to see lots of whales!

Johnsp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe, Marriott, Worldmark
I was also born and raised in Hawaii. As everyone has mentioned, it rains more during the winter months. If you are interested in the beach and better weather, stay on the leeward side (southwest) of the islands. The weather comes from the windward side (northeast) and the mountains prevent a lot of the weather from making it leeward. The difference in rainfall can be dramatic.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We were on Maui for the week before Christmas one year and it was perfect. Really, any week on any Hawaiian island is a good one for me. We don't mind rain, and it's usually a warmer rain if it does rain. Early to mid-December is a nice time to visit because it didn't seem crowded to us. Everyone is home getting ready for the holidays!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you for the additional insights. It's nice to have options!

Mike

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The weather in Kaanapali the first week of December 2016 was kind of awful - only one day was rain free and the weather on the drive back on Saturday was monsoon-ish. It's not like a week on Maui ever truly sucks...but I would go to Poipu on Kauai or Kihei on Maui if you can.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The weather in Kaanapali the first week of December 2016 was kind of awful - only one day was rain free and the weather on the drive back on Saturday was monsoon-ish. It's not like a week on Maui ever truly sucks...but I would go to Poipu on Kauai or Kihei on Maui if you can.
We were there at the same time (but we were on Oahu). It was not conducive to a typical Hawaiian vacation. I'll try to post my screenshot of the weather system over the Big Island. The entire island was rainy. I didn't expect that!

Here's the screenshot: Screenshot_20161201-064323 by klpca, on Flickr

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
We traveled to Oahu and Maui in December 2015. Weather was glorious. But traveling is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The winters in Hawaii can bring some of the most beautiful days that Hawaii gets or some of the worse days. In general, the weather is more cloudy and windy with light rain showers. But, fronts can move in and the rain can stay for a week. That only happens about once or twice a winter. After frontal passage, it is usually cooler with crisp days, bright blue skies and extended visibility. The odds are pretty high that you will see average winter days with clouds and wind and temps in the upper 70s. Staying on the south or west side of the island is best for good weather or less rain. Stay with your plans for Oahu and Maui. When it rains in the winter, all the islands get hit. The only bummer to changing islands is that if a front hits Oahu it will roll through Maui a couple days later and the big island after that.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the weather during Thanksgiving on the west side of Oahu by Ko Olina? We are thinking of going there for Thanksgiving Week 2018.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were also on Kauai Dec. 2016 and it definitely was not the best weather. Still beats a Canadian winter though!