• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] MVC 13 month reservation

GNS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i read the sticky, but it was from 2005, so not sure if that all still applies. My question is do we've to own 2 weeks at the SAME resort to be able to make reservations 13 months in advance or it can be 2 different resorts? We've Platinum week at MGO and it's getting harder to get summer week and thought buying another week will give us 1 month additional early reservation giving us a better chance to find the week we want. However, MGO platinum weeks are expensive so I was wondering if i could buy less expensive platinum week at some other cheaper resorts to get 13 months advantage.

Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As long as you are booking consecutive or concurrent weeks from two or more ownerships, you can reserve at 13 months. They can be from the same or from different resorts.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The second week does not have to be platinum; it does have to be in a season where you can reserve your two ownership weeks consecutively.

For example, one could buy a cheap silver season summer week at Desert Springs and use it to get the 13 month reservation thing working because it can be reserved the week before or the week after your HHI week. Of course, the economics of this combination are poor (because few want to be in the desert in the summertime), but it illustrates the point.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i read the sticky, but it was from 2005, so not sure if that all still applies. My question is do we've to own 2 weeks at the SAME resort to be able to make reservations 13 months in advance or it can be 2 different resorts? We've Platinum week at MGO and it's getting harder to get summer week and thought buying another week will give us 1 month additional early reservation giving us a better chance to find the week we want. However, MGO platinum weeks are expensive so I was wondering if i could buy less expensive platinum week at some other cheaper resorts to get 13 months advantage.

Thanks
As noted, just needs to be concurrent or consecutive. This is exactly why I bought my second week there and largely why I bought my first "trading" week. What week(s) are you likely to go? If that other resort has Thursday check in, you'll get an additional extra day head start.

GNS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, just needs to be concurrent or consecutive. This is exactly why I bought my second week there and largely why I bought my first "trading" week. What week(s) are you likely to go? If that other resort has Thursday check in, you'll get an additional extra day head start.

Would like to book any weeks in July... did u buy 2nd week at MGO or somewhere else as "trading" week?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would like to book any weeks in July... did u buy 2nd week at MGO or somewhere else as "trading" week?
I actually did both. Having the 13 month window isn't a guarantee of success but it does give you 2 chances at getting what you want. We're there about EOY with multiples weeks at MGO. We had 7 villas for the 4th (own 6 now + one using DC points). I reserved next years weeks (also 4th) in April of this year. We've consistently been week 25 or week 26 either Surfwatch or MGO with multiple Villas. In part it depends on whether you would want to own at a separate location or fool with II exchanging or renting. If you're OK with any weeks in July, you should be fine regardless because you'd have multiple chances as the additional weeks roll around.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you book concurrent or consecutive weeks at 13 months out, are you able to change the week of one reservation so they are no longer concurrent or consecutive within 12 months of check-in?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you book concurrent or consecutive weeks at 13 months out, are you able to change the week of one reservation so they are no longer concurrent or consecutive within 12 months of check-in?
Though some would argue you're not supposed to be, incorrectly I believe, the answer is yes as long as you wait until you could have made the reservation without the item you're changing.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Consecutive has a higher chance of success since the second week is 13+1. This is especially true if the second week is a higher demand holiday week. Unfortunately this is why it can be difficult to get really high demand weeks. Some are already gone long before single renters can rent at 13 months. 50% of the inventory remains for 12 months out but I do not trust how MVCI manages this for weeks owners.

Frugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own two Gold Weeks at MOW. Called at 13 months out to book week 33 and was only able to secure a reservation for one of my units (One is an Ocean Side, the other Ocean Front). I'll need to call at the 12 month window and hopefully be able to secure the other.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I own two Gold Weeks at MOW. Called at 13 months out to book week 33 and was only able to secure a reservation for one of my units (One is an Ocean Side, the other Ocean Front). I'll need to call at the 12 month window and hopefully be able to secure the other.

This doesn't sound right. If you were only trying to book two Weeks intervals and one is not available, they should not have been able to book the single Week that is available. The Weeks 13-mos Reservation Window requires both 1) that multiple Weeks are being used to book, and 2) that multiple reservations can be confirmed by booking multiple Weeks.

Watch your emails closely for any confirmations and subsequent cancellations, because it's possible that an automatic audit will kick out the single reservation if they actually did process the confirmation during your call prior to the 12-mos Reservation Window. (I've done calls where they didn't confirm any multi-reservations until they knew multiple were available, but also instances where they booked the first without checking on the others. In those instances the email confirmations were followed by the email cancellations.)

Frugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was booking for concurrent use, but not sure if that makes a difference or not. Just checked the reservation and it's still showing as confirmed in the owner portal (and this reservation was deposited with II for trade). Thanks for the tip - I'll keep an eye on it. I thought it was odd that I could book one unit, but not both 13 months out. Owner services said no other unit inventory was released, but I should try back at the 12-month window as the additional inventory will be released.

This doesn't sound right. If you were only trying to book two Weeks intervals and one is not available, they should not have been able to book the single Week that is available. The Weeks 13-mos Reservation Window requires both 1) that multiple Weeks are being used to book, and 2) that multiple reservations can be confirmed by booking multiple Weeks.

Watch your emails closely for any confirmations and subsequent cancellations, because it's possible that an automatic audit will kick out the single reservation if they actually did process the confirmation during your call prior to the 12-mos Reservation Window. (I've done calls where they didn't confirm any multi-reservations until they knew multiple were available, but also instances where they booked the first without checking on the others. In those instances the email confirmations were followed by the email cancellations.)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consecutive has a higher chance of success since the second week is 13+1. This is especially true if the second week is a higher demand holiday week. Unfortunately this is why it can be difficult to get really high demand weeks. Some are already gone long before single renters can rent at 13 months. 50% of the inventory remains for 12 months out but I do not trust how MVCI manages this for weeks owners.
They don't always release inventory far enough out to book the second week of a 13+1, I've seen this issue crop up several times.

Frugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I use the online reservation at the 12month mark to book my 2nd unit or would it be best to call in at 9AM when they release inventory? Since I've already booked one unit I'm thinking the rule to call in for 13month reservations may not apply.

They don't always release inventory far enough out to book the second week of a 13+1, I've seen this issue crop up several times.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I use the online reservation at the 12month mark to book my 2nd unit or would it be best to call in at 9AM when they release inventory? Since I've already booked one unit I'm thinking the rule to call in for 13month reservations may not apply.
If I read what you're asking correctly, once you hit the 13 month window, you're good after that IF a villa comes available later. It's likely that inventory won't come on board though until 12 months out unless it's a new site in active sales and even then it's have to be weeks not points that are added which Marriott basically isn't doing now for most situations, maybe not at all. I think the realistic answer is if no inventory at 13 months, try at 12.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: Does this mean that I can book my second consecutive week at 13 months out and then cancel it AFTER the 12 month advance booking date as per calendar so that I am able to secure the first week at 13 months out?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Question: Does this mean that I can book my second consecutive week at 13 months out and then cancel it AFTER the 12 month advance booking date as per calendar so that I am able to secure the first week at 13 months out?

Yes. I've done it several times, using the 13-mos advantage to book three/two multi-Weeks and then cancelled (or deposited to II) two/one of those reservations. MVW suggests that you wait until the 12-mos window has passed before making these kinds of changes because technically the governing docs give MVW the right to cancel all of them if you partially cancel, but there's never been a report of this being enforced and several TUGgers have done it within that one-month window successfully without penalty.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do this every year with a number of weeks. Sometimes I cancel and take points, sometimes I deposit later.

Yes. I've done it several times, using the 13-mos advantage to book three/two multi-Weeks and then cancelled (or deposited to II) two/one of those reservations. MVW suggests that you wait until the 12-mos window has passed before making these kinds of changes because technically the governing docs give MVW the right to cancel all of them if you partially cancel, but there's never been a report of this being enforced and several TUGgers have done it within that one-month window successfully without penalty.
I'm not certain but I do recall discussion years ago about people having these types of reservations booked under a single reservation number and having issues though I'm not certain anyone actually had reservations canceled.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can understand MVC having an issue with partial cancellation of a 13 month multi week booking.
I don’t understand though their issue with using these for Interval exchanges (albeit they may reference this in the governing documents - can anyone advise please where exactly I can find this reference?)
I have normally not done this until within 12 months when our plans are finalised, but I have done it several times between 12 and 13 months and for me this seems to be a standard usage option.