• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need New Luggage ASAP! Help!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We have been needing new luggage all Summer. I have mentioned it to hubby a couple times but never got the full go-ahead to get it from him. Well, I should have just bought what I wanted because now we're kind of desperate! The traveling we've already done this Summer has destroyed the handles on TWO of our old bags (over ten years old) and we have another trip scheduled to leave THIS WEEKEND. So we need new luggage ASAP.

So I thought this could be a fun thread idea. Share your ideal luggage pix. Or share info about stuff you have used and liked. Or just complain about how airlines trash your luggage. Whatever...

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been needing new luggage all Summer. I have mentioned it to hubby a couple times but never got the full go-ahead to get it from him. Well, I should have just bought what I wanted because now we're kind of desperate! The traveling we've already done this Summer has destroyed the handles on TWO of our old bags (over ten years old) and we have another trip scheduled to leave THIS WEEKEND. So we need new luggage ASAP.

So I thought this could be a fun thread idea. Share your ideal luggage pix. Or share info about stuff you have used and liked. Or just complain about how airlines trash your luggage. Whatever...
I love my luggage and it's, um, 14 years old, and older. I love my travel stuff so much that I offer to loan it to friends when they travel overseas. Are you flying? I have a TravelPro backpack which has taken me cross country and overseas many times. And, I have an American Airlines on wheels which fits in overhead bins. I bought it at Tuesday Morning. Then, I have an older leather "snake" bag. It's a carry on, too. I was bought in Mexico and it is detailed with rattlesnake skin including the head :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Go check out the lightweight Samsonite set at Costco. I know several people who have them. They work well, and provide a good value, for the money. Do not do what I did and order from eBags.com. Great designs, but lousy for air travel - the empty suitcase weighs something like 15 pounds. Eek! ;)

Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Yes we will be flying. If we were driving we would just make due with what we have. We have one suitcase and a few duffel bags that are fine for driving.
But our nice set that we've used for over 10 years is just dead. The handles came off two of the suitcases and the third had a busted zipper. I'm just ready for something shiny and new.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we will be flying. If we were driving we would just make due with what we have. We have one suitcase and a few duffel bags that are fine for driving.
But our nice set that we've used for over 10 years is just dead. The handles came off two of the suitcases and the third had a busted zipper. I'm just ready for something shiny and new.
Yes, I assumed as much. These are bags I use to fly. Once a wheel or zipper breaks, well, it's sad, but it's g' buh!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What I would do:
Go to Home Depot to buy some eye-hook bolts, nuts & washers, nylon rope and duct-tape.

What my DW would do:
Go to JC Penney's or Macy's and come home with 2 of the best-looking set.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We can vouch for the Costco Suitcase set. We bought it several years ago when it was a 3 piece set. I believe it is Ricardi. It is now a 2 piece set.They have now traveled to Europe, Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, New Zealand, and Australia. They are light weight but have held up well. A friend did not listen to us when preparing fir the New Zealand trip and bought a much more expensive set from a specialty store. They did not handle the trip well and they were not as light weight. After we got back she went to Costco and is been very pleased.

hncgregoraz

Reaction score
I second the costco Ricardi set recommendation.

I will use either the big or small one when flying alone on business depending on the length of the trip. As a family we tend to use two small ones and the large one, plus a duffel or two, but that was 2 adults and 2 kids, for 2 to 4 weeks international trips.

We have taken them to Israel and the UK. They are light weight but strong. Like any other modern luggage, If you need to stay under the 50 pound economy class limits, get a hand held scale.

I was lucky on my way back from Raleigh that I got my upgrade, as I purchased some computer stuff while there, and my luggage was 64 pounds.

Harry

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I always pick up Samsonite bags at Ross for great prices.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must go the local Costco and check out the Ricardi set of luggage. Thanks

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'm a big TravelPro fan. Still using a couple of pieces that I always check and have been around the world for about 15 years. Had a zipper and a handle replaced for free.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard shell or soft sides? Do your homework first. The hard shell luggage generally weighs more but when the airline slams it around the shell will often crack. The airline MAY repair damage with the exception of handles, zippers and wheels. In other words, very little relief from the airline when they did the damage.

Also, think about the luggage with 4 wheels. For me, that design is a must have! After considerable research my most recent purchase was TravelPro.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I'm a big TravelPro fan. Still using a couple of pieces that I always check and have been around the world for about 15 years. Had a zipper and a handle replaced for free.
I agree, you can't go wrong with TravelPro. Check it out on Amazon.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have Rick Steves rollaboards that we love. Although now when flying internationally I first line them with a plastic garbage bag. Got tired of having suitcases left on the tarmack in the rain if we checked them on the homeward trip. Last trip home I was so happy my gifts for other were towards the bottom because the clothes on top were wet from when they pulled all the luggage handlers in during a storm with lightening.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
I love Delsey luggage for traditional suitcases. Lately, we've been using rolling duffels for our leisure trips because they are generally lighter so we can take more stuff. And we tend to travel with a lot of "things" in addition to clothing. Snorkel sets, fishing gear, etc.

Best story of and airline destroying luggage: I bought a new rolling duffel for my H during a black friday sale - a large one on sale for like $40 or $50. 2 weeks later we packed it and set off for our two week holiday trip to Florida. Brand new, and something must have been caught on something mechanical, because it was destroyed. Wheeled it over to the luggage office, prepared to fight for a replacement. They took one look, when it the back, and brought out a replacement rolling duffel, new with tags. Asked us if that would do, and H said yes. New one was much better, with a bottom section that H *loves* to separate out his fishing gear from clothing. Looking it up, it would have been about $150+.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always pick up Samsonite bags at Ross for great prices.

Agree. Can't be the deals at Ross. They have all kinds. So if your research shows you want four wheels, hard case, Travel Pro or something else, Ross will usually have that. But, I buy Samsonite or Travel Pro and never have a problem. Also, my last Travel Pro bag got used on 3-5 trips per month as an airline pilot for five years and never fell apart. It got dirty and had damage to the sides, so I bought a new bag. They all last a long time unless you check it and the bag handlers throw it off the plane, down the stairs and damage it.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Briggs & Riley luggage . They hold up very well and they have an excellent guarantee, no matter who damages the luggage they will repair it. We usually find that many of the shops here that sell them will carry numerous different sizes and colours.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
..... Or share info about stuff you have used and liked. Or just complain about how airlines trash your luggage. Whatever...
Without recommending any particular brand or specific suitcase ...

For carry ons, go for one of the newer, very light weight pieces. Some carry ons are so heavy that you have already used half your weight allowance (an exaggeration, but the concept is correct) before you have even put anything in the bag. I also avoid spinners. This puts me in the minority. I understand how easy it is to transport them through the airport, but they also use up a large chunk of the size limit for a carry on. When you are trying to use nothing but a carry on, an inch or two of lost luggage space is a big deal.

I also avoid spinners for larger suitcases. At least some, perhaps most or all, airlines will not take responsibility if they knock off one of the wheels on a spinner. Apparently this happens with enough frequency that they simply say no they will not pay for repair or replacement of a spinner wheel. I have been in one of the airline baggage offices to complain about how they ripped apart a zipper on a suitcase. They offered me a replacement. Standing next to me was a woman who had a spinner wheel knocked off. The clerk simply pointed to a sign saying that they will not be held responsible for the loss of spinner wheels.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if the airline will not pay for damage, trip insurance will pay. You just have to jump thru hoops including getting a written document from the airline saying they will not pay. For them pointing to the sign on the wall doesn't satisfy the written document requirement. Of course you also have to have the original purchase receipt as they will depreciate the bag.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
A second vote for Briggs and Riley. Expensive, but worth it.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Go with a "soft-sided" suitcase. Why? Well the sturdier/harder/heavier ones are around 17-19 pounds. That's nearly 40% of your 50 pound airline weight limit. The soft-sided ones are under 10#

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are still using luggage we bought at Walmart many years ago - carryons and large duffle bags with wheels. All still in great shape.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We buy the lightest luggages in the world - IT Luggage, sold by eBags. Less than 4 lbs. We have bought both spinner and non spinner wheels ones. Todate, own 6 IT Luggage in varying sizes. One set of spinners - small (carry on) , medium and large, and 3 non spinner carry ons. When we have a long trip and need to check in the 2 larger IT Luggage bags, we also put Vera Bradley carry on bags (no roller) on top of the IT Luggage. The Vera Bradley model that we buy have a middle slip that is intended to loop over luggage handles.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am somewhat picky about the inside of my luggage. What I mean by that is, how much it will hold. I have no brand loyalty, nor loyalty to where I buy the luggage from. I've had expensive luggage that held up no better than the less expensive I've bought. I've gotten it from luggage discounters, department stores and online through eBags. I don't pay so much for the luggage (except for the set of Lark luggage I bought years ago and have since gotten rid of) that I am upset when it has to be replaced.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I always check eBags but have ALWAYS found lower pricing for the same goods at many other discounters. In the past I stayed with high end brands, but it's always a drama when the airlines beat them just like every other bag. Now I go with a "good" bag at a much lower price. Bag designs and weight constantly change so the high price bag is stuck in yesterday's design that is far exceeded by new concepts.

Besides I have yet to see any "suitcase judges" that are keeping score on the bags I'm dragging around.