• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

booking Maui with Staroptions

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the likely hood of booking a studio or 1 Bedroom unit in Maui using Star Options for Mid April, May or June?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have done it for the third or fourth week of April. You should plan on making your reservation right at the 8 month mark. Good luck and enjoy.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
May is shoulder season, so it should be pretty easy at the 8 month mark.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
we booked a 2 Bedroom for April at the 8 month mark with no problem.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
good information. As there are some nicely priced flights from YYZ for Apr /May which I was thinking of booking

Aviator OC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Las Vegas
we booked a 2 Bedroom for April at the 8 month mark with no problem.

Same question but what about availability in July or early August when my kids are out of school for 1br or 2 br in Westin South, North, or Nanea?

Was gonna pull the trigger on a Vistana Key West Resale (97500 Star Options) and since we live in Orange County, CA it wouldn't make sense to be stuck with an Orlando property if we can't trade into Maui. After speaking with Syed (resale broker) he advised not to do so.

Also, since we got an upgrade from Building 6 to Building 7 during our stay, can somebody tell me if the room (see below) is considered "Ocean View"?

upload_2017-7-24_11-19-10.png

upload_2017-7-24_11-30-54.png

trexmdr

Reaction score
Same question but what about availability in July or early August when my kids are out of school for 1br or 2 br in Westin South, North, or Nanea?

Was gonna pull the trigger on a Vistana Key West Resale (97500 Star Options) and since we live in Orange County, CA it wouldn't make sense to be stuck with an Orlando property if we can't trade into Maui. After speaking with Syed (resale broker) he advised not to do so.

Also, since we got an upgrade from Building 6 to Building 7 during our stay, can somebody tell me if the room (see below) is considered "Ocean View"?

View attachment 4370

View attachment 4371
I think the resort feels that if you can see even a sliver of the ocean it's an ocean view. I may be exaggerating but not by much. So yes I think that is an ocean view. That is why I like the building layout of the south better. I feel the ocean views are much better. Also keep in mind that when you use staroptions you lose whatever view you bought at your home resort and if you did happen to get in Maui during the high season at exactly eight months out you probably would get a garden view. I learned the hard way before I found this site. I own an ocean view at WKORV south and I booked my vacation after the eight month window opened and found out I could only get a garden view and since it was summer I was lucky to get that.
Good luck and ask a lot of questions.
Very knowledgable and generous people on this board.
Sincerely,
RT

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
AviatorOC--

I believe I had the same view a few years back -- you were directly above the spa? If so, the view is deeded garden view, although obviously it is a nice garden view room.

jeff01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can confirm, WKORV-N classifies that as garden view or resort/island view (not sure exactly what they call it) but it’s not considered ocean view. I think we were a little further back and a bit higher up but had a very similar view.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That probably is an Ocean View - the dark pink is designated OV by the resort -
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 8.33.22 PM.png
see the

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do we know the unit number from post #6?

blondietink

Reaction score
Since we booked an oceanfront one bedroom villa for our stay in September, I can assume we will be located in either building 5 or 8? Any recommendations on what I should request for those buildings?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Since we booked an oceanfront one bedroom villa for our stay in September, I can assume we will be located in either building 5 or 8? Any recommendations on what I should request for those buildings?

Everyone's opinion probably differs but if it were me I'd go for 8x05 through 8x14 and would avoid 5x07 through 5x12 as they are over the bar (x is the floor dependent upon your preference of low v high). Can't remember if the odd or even #s are the 1 bed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They will not accept a specific request, but you can request a bldg and a high or low floor. I'd request a high floor in bldg 8.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
When is the best time to put in a request? I am about 8 weeks prior to check-in right now. Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The best time to put in a request is at the same time that you make the reservation. You can do it using the online "Available Actions" function, to be sure it gets recorded.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
We own in Cancun and have been to Maui several times. Like the others say, book at the 8 month point. Another trick is too look as slightly longer than 8 months to see what will likely be available.

I think Nanea rooms basically have a studio kitchen. I prefer the original rooms because they have a regular stove with an oven. We were just there in May and it was pretty crowded, especially in the pools. We then went to Kauai and liked it better.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea timeshares do not have studio kitchens - they have fully equipped kitchens with regular cook tops & ovens.

What they don't have is a breakfast bar - which reduces the counter space - but they are not missing any appliances.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 7.53.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 7.57.17 PM.png

Last edited:

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Nanea timeshares do not have studio kitchens - they have fully equipped kitchens with regular cook tops & ovens.

What they don't have is a breakfast bar - which reduces the counter space - but they are not missing any appliances.

View attachment 4402
View attachment 4403
Oh, that does look better than what I had thought. We just looked at the line drawing view. It's actually good news to me. I thought vistana was downsizing all of the new kitchens. We had stayed in a converted two bedroom that had a two burner stove that I had to fry eggs on high and it still took a while.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk