• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

20 Year old Woman Dies at Playa del Carmen Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
BTW - I am not implying anything nefarious because the original accident occured in Mexico, and I don't think anyone else is either, but it is a rather odd situation.

Oh, but they are. In the video, the reporter and news anchors were definitely presenting the story as if there was some big conspiracy around the girl's death. And her father was quoted in the article:

"Someone needs to be held responsible for this," Bill Conner said. "It doesn't make any sense. We're lucky we didn't lose both of our kids."

"She was healthy, but for some reason she drowns in a pool. Waist deep ... it's unbelievable," he added.

Everyone in the article / video were acting as if there just had to be an alternate reason to her death other than being extremely drunk and doing something exceptionally stupid, which logically is most likely what happened. If that is what indeed happened, then no one other than the 20 and 23 year old siblings "needs to be held responsible for this".

Kurt

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound judgmental. I don't drink and I really don't get parents allowing their kids to drink from a young age. An ex-colleague's 18 year-old son was critically ill in the hospital with liver cirrhosis. He said his son had been drinking since young. His wife did not work and we were all quietly wondering how they brought up their children. He ended up taking early retirement to spend time with his dying son.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Yes, exactly - you are guessing, because your evidence does not support your claims of 365 tourist death a year. There weren't even 365 tourist deaths in 5 years:

Maybe so but there are more than 1 tourist death each week by accident in Hawaii according to the State of Hawaii. The link I provided showed 68 accidental deaths each year. This last Feb in Hawaii there was a week of 1 tourist killed or injured each day for 8 days. That would be about 1 a day by accident.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34396305/8-visitors-hurt-or-killed-in-hawaii-waters-in-8-days

I think you are thinking about accidental deaths only. Many tourists that are in remote areas of Hawaii, which is almost anywhere these days because of traffic, have a real problem if they need emergency care. Natural deaths are not reported so much, so regarding tourists, statistically, in a group of over 8 million tourist, especially considering age groups, Im certain that the overall death rate of tourists in Hawaii is over 1 per day. According to Vital Statistics for Hawaii there were 11,009 non resident deaths in 2016. A large number of the non resident deaths are tourists.

http://health.hawaii.gov/vitalstatistics/preliminary-2016/#state

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, but they are. In the video, the reporter and news anchors were definitely presenting the story as if there was some big conspiracy around the girl's death. And her father was quoted in the article:

Everyone in the article / video were acting as if there just had to be an alternate reason to her death other than being extremely drunk and doing something exceptionally stupid, which logically is most likely what happened. If that is what indeed happened, then no one other than the 20 and 23 year old siblings "needs to be held responsible for this".

Kurt

Well said. Agreed.

Just another example of no accountability. Everyone is a victim today.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Well said. Agreed.

Just another example of no accountability. Everyone is a victim today.
It could have been a bad accident involving two kids simultaneously (without any witnesses near a crowded bar), who drank too much. Its also just as possible that someone took advantage of their inebriated state. But we don't know.

As for the US vs Mexico comparisons, its hard to imagine that there would not have been a much more thorough investigation here, give the injuries sustained by the siblings, and how they were found. To me this is what the parents are talking about. Unfortunately, Mexico is not the US.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As for the US vs Mexico comparisons, its hard to imagine that there would not have been a much more thourough investigation here, give the injuries sustained by the siblings, and how they were found. To me this is what the parents are talking about. Unfortunately, Mexico is not the US.
I highly doubt this. Do you really think that if this happened at a resort in the US, they would be throwing out things like "kidnapping attempt" or "robbery"? The accident was investigated; the result was something that the parents didn't want to accept -- that their kids were inebriated to the point of not being able to remember what happened (son's account) and had an accident in the pool.

Kurt

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
According to Vital Statistics for Hawaii there were 11,009 non resident deaths in 2016. A large number of the non resident deaths are tourists.

This is just plain false - there were 11,009 total deaths in Hawaii - not non-resident deaths.

This is laughable, can you imagine what the outcry would be if 11 thousand visitors a year died in Hawaii???

Bill - I don't know if you are just trolling us, or you truly don't understand the data that you are posting, but either way, it is pointless to try to discuss this with you. I'm out.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 9.39.41 AM.png

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
http://health.hawaii.gov/vitalstatistics/

I see that you are right. I think I saw the non resident dealio for marriage and mixed it up.

Regardless of my oversight, there are more than 50 accidental deaths each year in Hawaii and there are definitely a number of tourists that pass away by other than accidental death in Hawaii.

Bill

rpennisi

Reaction score
I don't think that paying cash for medical services as mentioned in the above article is so unusual. Our insurance doesn't work there, and the doctors want to be paid in cash. My wife got food poisoning one year while we were staying at the MP in RM (might have happened off site). She got very good treatment by the Dr on site, but he wanted payment in US dollars, which fortunately we had. He gave us a detailed bill in case we wanted to submit it back in the US (we didn't).

The facts in some of the cases in the USA Today article are disturbing. We stick to bottled beer, but you do see lots of folks sitting for hours at the swim up bars. AI tends to cause folks to drink too much, but some of those stories are definitely suspicious.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, I know bad things can happen anywhere. But this seems to be well-researched and reported, and it's definitely a pattern at these AI resorts. Very scary, because how do you prevent it?
One way to prevent it..............don't go to these resorts.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Going back to the original story - before the tangential transition into HI deaths with convoluted 'facts' - if someone dies because of some type of drug/poison - it would be detected in the corpse. Instead of the interesting 'what ifs' - if the family is so determined to show that it couldn't possible be their children's fault. Get a blood sample and send it for complete forensic analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Going back to the original story - before the tangential transition into HI deaths with convoluted 'facts' - if someone dies because of some type of drug/poison - it would be detected in the corpse. Instead of the interesting 'what ifs' - if the family is so determined to show that it couldn't possible be their children's fault. Get a blood sample and send it for complete forensic analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think its that simple, depending on the drug, except on CSI.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
While timeshare guests endure a version of hell in a Mexican timeshare presentation, it looks like those who stay at 4 and 5 star All Inclusive resorts aren't left out of the fun and games either.

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

I read through most of these stories, and it is very upsetting to say the least. The common theme seems to be getting sick and blacking out after consuming drinks, often at the swim-up bars at the pools. I am wondering, however, what is the goal of drugging these tourists, since most of them do not report being robbed/assaulted? Could it be the problems are caused by using cheap/dangerous alcohol in these drinks in an effort to save money?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read through most of these stories, and it is very upsetting to say the least. The common theme seems to be getting sick and blacking out after consuming drinks, often at the swim-up bars at the pools. I am wondering, however, what is the goal of drugging these tourists, since most of them do not report being robbed/assaulted? Could it be the problems are caused by using cheap/dangerous alcohol in these drinks in an effort to save money?
Bootlegged alcohol can be very high proof. When somebody says I only had 2 drinks doesn't mean anything.
I have seen some really strange stuff when people drank home brewed alcohol.
Think of the TV show Tickle was in on bootlegging. It can be very high proof if not watered down. It's a different type of drunk as if your drugged

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The affect of dehydration / combined with alcohol
AND
just because you are cooled off / in the pool - does not mean your body is not dehydrating in the sun & higher temperature .

This could be a factor as well .

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appears to be quite a few folks here jumping onto the sensationalist bandwagon that these two were drugged.

Count me out.

Facts:

They were both intoxicated, and became so in a very short amount of time.

They were young, inexperienced drinkers. The deceased wasn't even legal drinking age in her home state. Her brother, just one year or less older.

It's a LOT hotter in Mexico, and the sun is MUCH more intense there than what they are accustomed to in their home state of WI.

Human reasoning diminishes with intoxication.

Their injuries suggest they dove into a pool. How does anyone break someone else's clavicle? Please, do explain, and provide a few examples that you know of where someone broke someone else's clavicle. Golf ball sized lump on the forehead? Yup, that'll happen when you dive into the shallow end of the pool.

The young man's comments are suspect, and highly unusual, given the outcome.

The parents appear to be in denial. Quite normal if your underaged kids just binge drank on arrival to their hotel.

======

Believe what you want to believe. After all, that is human nature. But, it never hurts to use logical thinking, and consider the most likely cause.

Someone earlier asked, "how do you prevent this?" Pretty darned simple. Don't get intoxicated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.