• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Honolulu Flight Arriving at Midnight

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Quick question.

Looking at using some frequent flier miles. Waited too long and lost a better FF flight. As a result, another is available but doesn't arrive into Honolulu until 11:45pm. Pretty late. Has anyone checked into HNL that late? Any challenges finding car rental at that time out to Ko Olina?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Have you considered the possibility of just staying the night at a Marriott airport hotel with shuttle service, getting your rental car in the morning, and then checking into Ko'Olina? You could save a few DC points in the process (if that is the type of reservation you are on). We're going next spring and if our flight got in that late, that is what we would do.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Quick question.

Looking at using some frequent flier miles. Waited too long and lost a better FF flight. As a result, another is available but doesn't arrive into Honolulu until 11:45pm. Pretty late. Has anyone checked into HNL that late? Any challenges finding car rental at that time out to Ko Olina?
I agree with the idea of staying overnight near the airport.

However it looks like all of the major car rental locations (Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise) are open until 1:00 a.m. I imagine if this is a regular flight they are open to accommodate it.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can get a car drive at midnight vs morning traffic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Midnight Hawaii time will be about 5 a.m. 'body time' if you're on NC time. How well do you sleep on planes? I like the idea of staying in HNL until morning then a leisurely drive to the timeshare to start vacation. but that's me.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I would get the rental car and drive to the resort. At that time its probably about a 25 minute drive. To me that seems a lot easier than checking into another hotel just to move in the morning. At that time of night you will never find an easier drive with less traffic.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Good thoughts. Thanks all.

If I drive at midnight, sounds like rental car agencies are open. And, certainly no traffic (a plus in HNL!). But I'll be TIRED.

If the prior flight shows back up under miles, it would leave NC early and get into HNL at dinner time. While still light out, that would definitely be in rush hour. :/ HNL traffic is no fun.

Now that I recall...I think we've stayed over at an airport hotel once before when flying in late at night. I'll look into this if I book the midnight flight. Although, that was without kids (much easier). This time, we've got the kids and all the stuff. Lugging it from one hotel that night at midnight to another...while getting the car...might be challenging.

Appreciate all the input. Mahalo!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If it is dc point reservation, figure out the cost of the dc points vs renting a room near the airport. If it is a legacy week reservation, i would make the drive. No sense in paying for another room.

PC the traffic going ewa from airport is not that bad in the morning. Afternoon rush hour it is crazy. If you are going to drive to waikiki on arrival, it is about 15 minutes more to ko'olina than waikiki.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I would call the car rental locations to confirm hours. We were delayed arriving into Maui a few years ago and they were closed. The airline arranged a shuttle but we had to go back and get the car the next day.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Assuming I could rent a car, I would make the late drive. Would much rather wake up "whenever", already checked in at beautiful Ko Olina, and enjoy a leisurely first day getting over my jet lag at the resort, vs having to check out of the airport hotel, drive to Ko Olina, wait around likely several hours for my Ko Olina room to be ready, etc, etc. Staying in the airport hotel seems like a waste of a day on the island to me.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying in the airport hotel seems like a waste of a day on the island to me.

Depends on your plans. If you goal is to hang around hotel room all day, then I agree.
If you want to explore Island, then where you stay night before is not that big a deal. Stay at airport, then head out to explore in the morning.
You can stash luggage at either location. I never wait around for a room. If it is not ready, I go explore Island or put on suit and sit by beach.
I am never a big fan of arriving somewhere I am staying a longer time late at night. If something goes wrong it makes for a much longer night or another move in the morning, which defeats the whole purpose.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
If you rent a car and drive out that night, I would look carefully at the car rental agencies.

Some on one-site at the airport, and you could walk to the rental location versus wait for a bus. Others (Alamo for sure, Thrifty I think) are off-site and you will be bummed if you sitting at the curb at 12:45am waiting for a bus.

Either way, you will be in Hawaii!

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the possibility of just staying the night at a Marriott airport hotel with shuttle service, getting your rental car in the morning, and then checking into Ko'Olina?

The only three airport hotels near HNL are the Airport Honolulu Hotel, the Best Western The Plaza Hotel, and the Pacific Marina Inn Airport. Except for Best Western, no major chain is represented at HNL.

The two closest Marriott hotels to HNL are both in Waikiki: The Laylow Autograph Collection and the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. But Waikiki is in the wrong direction if the real destination is Ko Olina.

To avoid having to operate a car after midnight local time (when it feels much later based on mainland time zones), one option is to take an airport transportation service or a taxi from HNL to Ko Olina.

After a day or two at Ko Olina, you'll probably want a car. Enterprise is at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Alamo is at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would call the car rental locations to confirm hours. We were delayed arriving into Maui a few years ago and they were closed. The airline arranged a shuttle but we had to go back and get the car the next day.
The hours I quoted of being open until 1:00 a.m. are on the rental sites websites. Of course it is always good to check. The other thing you'd want to check is, if they know your flight number and your flight is delayed, will they stay open and wait for you.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are five in-airport car rental companies in the interim car rental facility (eastern part of the Overseas Parking Structure) at Honolulu International Airport: Advantage, Avis, Budget, Hertz, and National. There is shuttle bus service to the interim car rental facility, but it's not necessary to use a bus, especially if your baggage claim is near the center of the main terminal.

Advantage is open 6:00 AM to 11:30 PM.
Avis is open 5:00 AM to 1:00 AM.
Hertz is open 4:30 AM to 12:00 AM.
Budget is open 4:30 AM to 1:00 AM.
National is open 5:00 AM to 1:00 AM.

Other car rental companies are off-airport.

Last edited:

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only three airport hotels near HNL are the Airport Honolulu Hotel, the Best Western The Plaza Hotel, and the Pacific Marina Inn Airport. Except for Best Western, no major chain is represented at HNL.

The two closest Marriott hotels to HNL are both in Waikiki: The Laylow Autograph Collection and the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. But Waikiki is in the wrong direction if the real destination is Ko Olina.

To avoid having to operate a car after midnight local time (when it feels much later based on mainland time zones), one option is to take an airport transportation service or a taxi from HNL to Ko Olina.

After a day or two at Ko Olina, you'll probably want a car. Enterprise is at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Alamo is at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina.
I agree. Most of the hotels are dumpy near the airport. Airlines send tourists near Waikiki when flights are delayed overnight. Also traffic between the airport and the H1-H2 Freeways is slow in the morning headed towards ko olina due to loss of 2 lanes of traffic taken up by the Honolulu bound zipper lanes for commuters into downtown Honolulu.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
As noted above, if you can sleep on plane, you can get 3-4 hours, then get to Ko Olina by 2:00 and get another 4+ hours. Wake up around 6 (11am your time) and start your day fully rested.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Patience pays off. I was able to move my MVC MKO reservations forward one day, and as such, able to book a flight that leaves NC very early...but gets into HNL before 3:30pm ET. Yes! That should be a fantastic time...before rush hour....and just in time to pickup the car and get to MKO for check-in, grab some groceries, hang out, grab a drink, and get a little sleep early. I was able to use FF miles, to get 4 of us on some pretty decent flights with low miles! Aloha!

Now, I have to find 3 days using DC Pts. Exchanged one of my MGV weeks for DC Pts...and what do you know....I cannot get the 3 days I want at Maui (after we go to Ko Olina) in any villa size or view. Ugh. On to the next challenge.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Love KoOlina, we stayed in June 2016. Then went to Maui Lea,at Maui Hill. We flew from Orlando to Seattle then Honolulu. After our stay at KOlina we took Island Jet to Maui. We flew back to Seattle then non stop to,Orlando. We spent one night each way in Seattle. Very nice trip. Enjoy Hawaii!
Silentg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Patience pays off. I was able to move my MVC MKO reservations forward one day, and as such, able to book a flight that leaves NC very early...but gets into HNL before 3:30pm ET. Yes! That should be a fantastic time...before rush hour....and just in time to pickup the car and get to MKO for check-in, grab some groceries, hang out, grab a drink, and get a little sleep early. I was able to use FF miles, to get 4 of us on some pretty decent flights with low miles! Aloha!

Now, I have to find 3 days using DC Pts. Exchanged one of my MGV weeks for DC Pts...and what do you know....I cannot get the 3 days I want at Maui (after we go to Ko Olina) in any villa size or view. Ugh. On to the next challenge.
Congratulations on the flights! Just to warn you about traffic. If you arrive at 3:15, then wait for luggage and pick up rental car it will take about 45 min to an hour. So time will be around 4pm or so and traffic will be bad going from airport to ko'olina. Expect the drive to mko to be about an hour to hour and half. To some it's a long drive and others it is ok.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Congratulations on the flights! Just to warn you about traffic. If you arrive at 3:15, then wait for luggage and pick up rental car it will take about 45 min to an hour. So time will be around 4pm or so and traffic will be bad going from airport to ko'olina. Expect the drive to mko to be about an hour to hour and half. To some it's a long drive and others it is ok.

Thanks Frank. I figured so. Let's see if I can get the family to only carry bags on...to avoid the delay at luggage pickup. I think I will lose that battle with my wife. Even if it takes an hour +, we'll still be on our way to a great vacation...and will certainly arrive before dark!

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Thanks Frank. I figured so. Let's see if I can get the family to only carry bags on...to avoid the delay at luggage pickup. I think I will lose that battle with my wife. Even if it takes an hour +, we'll still be on our way to a great vacation...and will certainly arrive before dark!

If not, you could always let the family wait for the luggage while you get the car so by the time the luggage arrives you have your vehicle and ready to go. If you're at the in between time, you might be able to hit costco on your way out of the airport and by the time you finish there (in addition to the luggage) you can may miss traffic hour. If this is the plan, the only thing I would watch for is that your luggage is in the trunk of the car and not visible while you are in Costco. If you have a SUV, some have covers over the trunk.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If not, you could always let the family wait for the luggage while you get the car so by the time the luggage arrives you have your vehicle and ready to go.
This is what we always plan to do. I get the luggage and dh gets the car. However the last two times we've flown to Maui the luggage has been out before he's even gotten to the place to catch the shuttle. :)