• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott, Int'l 48-hours Cancellation Policy

Will this impact your cash bookings at properties that come under the Marriott, Int'l umbrella?

• Yes

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Maybe, depending on ...

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I don't do cash stays.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It was announced late last week that Marriott, Int'l changed the cancellation policy effective with reservations booked on or after 6/15/17. There's no official notice on news.marriott.com but several articles including this from money.cnn.com reference an official statement: Marriott cancels its 24-hour cancellation policy

Highlites:
... "Guests will now be required to cancel their room reservation by midnight 48 hours prior to arrival in order to avoid a fee," Marriott International (MAR) said in a statement. The new policy applies to hotels in the United States, Canada, Caribbean and Latin America. Marriott added that the change will not apply to Design Hotels, which are independently owned, and Marriott Vacation Worldwide hotels.

A handful of Marriott hotels already had a 48-hour or 72-hour cancellation policy in place prior to the company-wide decision, according to Allison Sitch, a Marriott spokeswoman. She said that some of those hotels with a 72-hour cancellation policy will continue that practice, and some that had previously maintained a 48-hour policy have switched to a 72-hour cancellation policy.

The new rule will impact guests staying at hotels that are a part of the Starwood network, which was acquired by Marriott in 2016. Marriott International includes W Hotels, St. Regis, Westin, Sheraton and Courtyard hotels, among others. ...

Despite not finding the official article online, on both MarriottInsiders and Flyertalk there are reports that the new cancellation policy is being reflected on reservations booked after the announcement.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Its seems that it wasn't too long ago that they changed from allowing day of cancellations and moved to the day before policy.

Marykate77

Reaction score
I just booked Grande Vista for cash over the weekend and it says the new policy. Obviously I prefer the old policy but seems standard for the industry

Not a big deal for me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not surprising. As with any industry when we see consolidation and decreased competition, policies become less and less consumer friendly.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems fair. But I anticipate kicking myself one day.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have actually started seeing this for a couple years with Marriott cash reservations for different reservations. One of my hurricane/blizzard/bad storm back up plans is to book a reservation at a local Residence Inn in case we lose power. For years, it was cancel the same day by 6pm which worked out great. Then a couple years ago they started with cancel day before.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that more than anything else it's a response to the ever increasing popularity of 'last minute' hotel apps. And people's willingness to make reservations and then cancel them if they can get a better 'last minute' deal.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The main people this will impact is business travelers. Those that make a reservation thinking they will be somewhere, but when they end up somewhere else, they have to now pay for that room that sits empty instead of being able to cancel last minute.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a long cross country(countries) drive this summer. I like to plan stops out ahead and boom in advance. One mishap from my plan and I could be out a couple of night's fee.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Slightly worrisome if you're a frequent traveler, as sooner or later, you're going to have some sort of issue pop up that could cause a cancellation. That said, if your reason for cancellation is an illness or another verifiable problem, does the Marriott travel insurance kick in? If so, then the impact is mostly nil.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Slightly worrisome if you're a frequent traveler, as sooner or later, you're going to have some sort of issue pop up that could cause a cancellation. That said, if your reason for cancellation is an illness or another verifiable problem, does the Marriott travel insurance kick in? If so, then the impact is mostly nil.
The insurance sold through Marriott Vacation Club wouldn't probably cover such an incident as that only covers Marriott timeshare stays. I don't think Marriott International sells any type of insurance.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the Marriotts Reward Visa have travel benefits/protections, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve? The Sapphire is so good, I didn't buy insurance for upcoming big trips.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a long cross country(countries) drive this summer. I like to plan stops out ahead and boom in advance. One mishap from my plan and I could be out a couple of night's fee.
Yes I can imagine that this affects quite a few in the same boat.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
You pay and when you cancel another guest pays...double dipping. Two days is not fair to customers.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
You pay and when you cancel another guest pays...double dipping. Two days is not fair to customers.

Or if you read the fine print, you arrive at the hotels check-in desk 1000 miles from home, with a "guaranteed reservation", and they (Marriott/Franchisee) due to circumstances beyond their control (ie someone pays a lot more for your suite you got a year in advance for one of the biggest weekends the location has) and then you're left packing for another hotel.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
If that happened they'd have to drag me out of the place like a passenger on United. Air.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
WHen I was traveling on my job I was a dedicated Marriott customer. However there were many times when a planned Marriott stay on a businesss trip had to be cancelled last minute due to flight problems, clients cancelling at the last moment etc. If this new policy had been in effect then it would have cost my employer money. I think had that new policy been in effect I would have had to look for a more business friendly hotel chain.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
This past Friday, I was flying Islip to Charleston through BWI when BWI weather delayed the first leg of the trip to BWI and cancelled the second leg to Charleston. I called up Marriott and they waived the one day charge. They did not ask for proof. Also, if you have the Chase Reserve, it would cover it. They do require proof.