• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport, RI - is a rental car necessary if arriving by ferry?

Suzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is a rental car necessary in Newport, or can you walk to the mansions, restaurants, etc. when staying at the Wyndham Long Wharf?

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have about 80% of what you need within walking distance. Plenty of restaurants, tours, docks, shopping around. But, for the mansions, cliff walk, beaches, fort adams and a possible grocery run, I would suggest a car for. If you don't want to rent a car, you could always uber or there is a zip car lot very close to Long Wharf.

Not that you asked....but there are a couple groupons for Newport I just picked up that may interest you.

$25 for a $50 Ryan Amusements gift card. If you are traveling with kids that like to play games to win tickets and redeem them for well....junk, Ryan has an arcade in Newport for this.

$38 for a soap making class for 2. Also within walking distance. They run I think on Monday and Wednesday nights (double check that) and you can BYOB.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
You will have about 80% of what you need within walking distance. Plenty of restaurants, tours, docks, shopping around. But, for the mansions, cliff walk, beaches, fort adams and a possible grocery run, I would suggest a car for. If you don't want to rent a car, you could always uber or there is a zip car lot very close to Long Wharf.

Not that you asked....but there are a couple groupons for Newport I just picked up that may interest you.

$25 for a $50 Ryan Amusements gift card. If you are traveling with kids that like to play games to win tickets and redeem them for well....junk, Ryan has an arcade in Newport for this.

$38 for a soap making class for 2. Also within walking distance. They run I think on Monday and Wednesday nights (double check that) and you can BYOB.

I agree, the Wyndham puts you in the middle of every thing. If there any disabilities, it is a hike to the mansions.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another reason to have a car at your disposal - Ocean Drive is a wonderful, scenic loop around the outskirts of Newport. It begins (or ends) on Bellevue Avenue, which is the location of most of the mansions. Dozens and dozens of homes worth millions and millions of dollars. A car for a day or two would let you have the mobility to get away from downtown, which is quite crowded. I would get a local map before heading out, because Newport geography is not intuitive.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
There is a bus route, #67, that takes you past the mansions and costs $6 for the day. This, plus a trolly tour of the city and perhaps a harbor tour by boat would accomplish what you want to do. We took the Harbor tour this week and thoroughly enjoyed it but a lot depends on your tour guide. It was Gansett Cruises and there is a $4 off coupon on the Discovery Map border. The Preservation Society has a very reasonably priced 5 Mansion Tour ticket for $35, a 2 mansion ticket for 27 or just to see The Breakers is 24. There is no expiration for the ticket but is good for only one time each.
We are staying across the Harbor at Newport overlook this week and enjoying it very much.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying across the Harbor at Newport overlook this week and enjoying it very much.

This says a lot about the area....the weather has not been the greatest for you!

Suzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I haven't been to the area in about 20 years, and that was just for one night. I am looking forward to this trip!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
And you should! Newport is a great area to be at in the summer, actually....it is a place that you can visit all year round as just about everything stays open.

Any more questions, please ask!

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
This says a lot about the area....the weather has not been the greatest for you!
It is a wonderful area. Yesterday was a beautiful day and we drove to the fishing ports of Point Judith and Galilee with a stop at Monahan's Clam Shack for a cheap and delicious lunch of clam chowder, crab cakes and fish tacos while overlooking the ocean. Dinner was lobsters ($8 lb) and crabs ( $1 each) we bought off the boat and took back to cook. Today was rainy so we toured two of the mansions. There is a car museum and the Naval war college that I hope to visit tomorrow and the wife talks about a knitting store in town.
upload_2017-5-25_23-14-31.png