• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying UDI points

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
good idea or no?
Depends on what you want and where you want to go. MF vary so if you are not to worried about ARP just buy low cost MF points to get what you need. Just be careful to buy only what you think you will use.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
sure, why not

you have 4 choices, UDI, CWA, converted weeks, and affiliates. and except CWA, and there are multiple resorts to chose from in each group. There are only two reasons to choose one resort , or CWA over the others, ARP and maintenance fees.

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
good idea or no?

I think that UDI is a good idea versus CWA. There has been a recent push here suggesting that CWA is a good way to go, touting the benefit of availability of ARP at many resorts. But I pay much lower maintenance fees than CWA, maybe $1K less per year than if all my points were CWA. I opted for low cost MF resorts, because we really don't need ARP and anywhere we wanted to go has been available at 10-months. But if you need something very specific during high demand time, then UDI is definitely a better way to go that CWA.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I brought for ARP in the early years of owning....even buying a 1,000,000 point ARP contract (resale of course).
You and your adult family members need to realize buying for a 5 year window of time is too short ... esp as the costs of owning & selling these contracts seem to increase far faster than the CPI.

Think of buying that fast, cool 2 seat sports car ... the depreciation, increasing repair costs, high insurance bill, garage costs and poor gas mileage .... and why YOU only 2 or 3 years later are selling it. And how much money that car ended up costing you ... compared to renting it for the 4+/- cool events you used it at.

And am I still happy with that contract? Might be actually worth MORE now with the contract limit allowed under each member number plus its ARP location.

At least I can say, I have a 1,000,000 ... just wish is was in green backs verses Wyndham points.

Campbell Vaughn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana St Augustine
UDI and CWA... they don't both give ARP at 13 months??

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
sure they do

CWA at a list of about 70 resorts
UDI at the deeded resort

CWA isn't supposed to be unlimited ARP at the 70 resorts, right? If WYN is accounting for it correctly. How much LBM is in CWA? Can all those deed be used in one season, say Mardi Gras?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
CWA isn't supposed to be unlimited ARP at the 70 resorts, right? If WYN is accounting for it correctly. How much LBM is in CWA? Can all those deed be used in one season, say Mardi Gras?

there are a limited number of CWA owned units at each resort.. at La belle Maison its about 25%, at least it was when I last asked. (actually I didnt ask, A salesman left his book on the table and i looked it up)

and yes in the ARP period you can make as many reservations as you have points to support. The practical limit used to depend whether of not you can get through on the phones and how fast your VC can make the reservations. Soon it will be how fast can you make the reservations on your computer. .. the 140 rooms at La belle Maison are usually gone in 10 minutes,

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Essentially here is the way you want to look at it. CWA gives you ARP at 70 resorts. UDI gives it to you at one. So the purpose of buying the UDI is two fold. LOW maintenance fees and ARP at a key resort where you only have to compete for ARP against other UDI owners there. CWA, as Ron stated own a LIMITED amount of points at most resorts. So, for example, say CWA owns 10,000,000 points at ABC resorts, and there are also 10,000,000 UDI points at that resort. If you own CWA you are competing against ALL CWA owners for those points (and how many is that? 150,000? more? less?) while if you are a UDI owner you only compete against the other UDI owners of that resort. A considerably smaller number.

Also, there are no CWA resorts in Hawaii. Not really a problem nowadays except for Shearwater maybe, but might be a consideration down the road.

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Essentially here is the way you want to look at it. CWA gives you ARP at 70 resorts. UDI gives it to you at one. So the purpose of buying the UDI is two fold. LOW maintenance fees and ARP at a key resort where you only have to compete for ARP against other UDI owners there. CWA, as Ron stated own a LIMITED amount of points at most resorts. So, for example, say CWA owns 10,000,000 points at ABC resorts, and there are also 10,000,000 UDI points at that resort. If you own CWA you are competing against ALL CWA owners for those points (and how many is that? 150,000? more? less?) while if you are a UDI owner you only compete against the other UDI owners of that resort. A considerably smaller number.

Also, there are no CWA resorts in Hawaii. Not really a problem nowadays except for Shearwater maybe, but might be a consideration down the road.

No guarantees that you're going to get the reservation you want under either ownership, but chances are much higher under UDI at that specific resort versus CWA at that same resort. That's all I was trying to illustrate to the OP. So, if OP wants something very high demand and wants to ensure occupancy at that resort (e.g. Bonnet Creek at Christmas, Dells in summer, Myrtle Beach 4th of July, Mardi Gras, etc.) or needs large unit 4-bedroom presidential at Myrtle beach in the summer, maybe UDI is better than CWA for ARP.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
No guarantees that you're going to get the reservation you want under either ownership, but chances are much higher under UDI at that specific resort versus CWA at that same resort. That's all I was trying to illustrate to the OP. So, if OP wants something very high demand and wants to ensure occupancy at that resort (e.g. Bonnet Creek at Christmas, Dells in summer, Myrtle Beach 4th of July, Mardi Gras, etc.) or needs large unit 4-bedroom presidential at Myrtle beach in the summer, maybe UDI is better than CWA for ARP.

It's pretty safe to say that a summer 4BR Presidential unit in Myrtle Beach (SeaWatch and Ocean Boulevard, which have the only 4BR Pres units in MB) will not be available for "regular owners," i.e., everyone except those who are Presidential Reserve owners at one of those two resorts.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's pretty safe to say that a summer 4BR Presidential unit in Myrtle Beach (SeaWatch and Ocean Boulevard, which have the only 4BR Pres units in MB) will not be available for "regular owners," i.e., everyone except those who are Presidential Reserve owners at one of those two resorts.

Are those Pres units, or Pres Reserve? PR owners only have 14 month ARP for PR units, correct? If so, then straight Pres units still can't be booked by PR, CWA, or CWS owners until 13 months for a given resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
MB resorts are not PR, so the 4BRs are Presidential, not Presidential Reserve. At least as I understand it, as a resale owner. I booked a 4BR Pres for Christmas at 13 months to the day.