• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

occupancy tax?

Kapolei

Reaction score
Unlike most other places, schools in Hawaii are funded by the state instead of the counties. So property taxes do not pay for schooling. Nobody likes taxes. There is always going to be parts of government that people are going to scratch their heads about. And people will always wonder why they got to pay for other people's choices in life. That is the reality everywhere. Hawaii is not going to win any contests here. But Hawaii remains a top travel destination.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Unlike most other places, schools in Hawaii are funded by the state instead of the counties. So property taxes do not pay for schooling. Nobody likes taxes. There is always going to be parts of government that people are going to scratch their heads about. And people will always wonder why they got to pay for other people's choices in life. That is the reality everywhere. Hawaii is not going to win any contests here. But Hawaii remains a top travel destination.

Since I brought up the issue of low property taxes and poor public schools in Hawaii I need to express my thoughts further. First of all just because schools are presently funded by the state that doesn't mean that it can't be changed. Furthermore, the counties are constantly asking for more aid from the state of Hawaii just as the counties, towns, and school districts on Long Island where we live are constantly asking for more aid from the state of New York. Therefore, instead of the state aiding the counties the state could keep all the funds for better public schools and tell the counties to raise their property taxes, (particularly on high priced properties and investment properties where owners don't live). Because the schools are excellent on Long Island people with high incomes send their children to public schools and have an interest in the quality of the public schools. In Hawaii that is not the case. It is a never ending cycle that keeps the public schools having low quality for the low income people.

Finally, I agree that Hawaii remains a top travel destination. I love being there. However, timeshare owners shouldn't be paying more taxes for their timeshare units than properties in other locations while the property taxes on high priced properties and investment properties are inordinately low and the real estate prices are inordinately high and going higher all the time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Occupancy Taxes...Since January 1, 1999

Aloha All!

After some research, the State of Hawaii started charging the timeshare occupancy tax to the person who occupies the unit as of January 1, 1999. The amount varies from property to property since the amount is based on the fair market value of the unit occupied. They have a lot of information on the State of Hawaii's Fact Sheet regarding the TOT at: http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/taxfacts/tf98-04.pdf
Thus as long as MFs keep going up, the tax amount goes up to. Perhaps a good reason for HOAs to try to keep MF increases to a minimum?:ponder:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
More bad news, the legislators just passed a bill yesterday to raise the occupancy tax from 9.25 to 12 percent. I didn't catch when that goes into affect, but once it happens everyone staying in a hotel, Air BnB, or any rental that last less than six months will have to pay it. They had to find more money to pay for the rail and they still don't have enough to finish the rail. So the tax raising is still going to get worse for everyone. There are a lot of other cities that have high hotel tax rates. But most cities don't have high hotel prices like Hawaii. At some point, it will cause tourism to slow down.

taffy19

Reaction score
Maui property tax for timeshare owners are going up again from $14.31 to $15.43 according to this link here:

http://mauicounty.us/2018budget/

The new rate goes in effect on July 1.

I don't remember how much we paid last year but it was listed on our maintenance fee bill.

There is also a difference between the TAT and TOT fee as I read that the other day on Facebook, I believe. I will try to find that link again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thus as long as MFs keep going up, the tax amount goes up to. Perhaps a good reason for HOAs to try to keep MF increases to a minimum?:ponder:

BUT - at MF's go up - management fees go up too, so the management companies have little motivation to keep them low and in many cases, they control the HOA's.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
BUT - at MF's go up - management fees go up to, so the management companies have little motivation to keep them low and in many cases, they control the HOA's.
True and this is probably also the reason that they have gone over to selling points instead of a deeded week. People can buy a fraction of time in HI or anywhere but the person with the most points will most likely get the earliest reservation rights and then other people will get discouraged so get rid of the points again and the developers can sell the points at another big profit. They sell us flexibility but, IMO, it is one big racket.

Tourism is booming in Hawaii at the moment and they are certainly catering more to the Asian or Global market. I like the decor as it is not as heavy as the old-fashioned American traditional furniture. I was blown away by the newest HGVC tower with the beautiful wooden floors and Monkey pod wooden dining room table and bar counter tops. So much nicer than the stark white island table in the kitchen at the Westin Nanea. What were they thinking?

I found two other links again about the difference between the TAT and TOT tax. Another racket too but once the economy turns, the timeshare owners are the people who keep them afloat. They should treat us better but we are a cash cow to them. One day they will regret it, I hope.

http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/brochures/transient_accomodations.pdf

and:

By TUGger Syed Sarmad but from a good year ago.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Hmmm, we paid $4.12/day tax on for our two week stay on Maui. Wonder why the difference? We are owners at the resort, but weren't staying during the week we own.

Honestly, I didn't think it was bad. I've stay other places with a much higher per day fee.
I just looked at our two bills from our stay in Maui. The Marriott charged us $16.20 a day for a 2 BR and the Hyatt $8.58 for a 1 BR. I haven't seen the other two bills yet.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
More bad news, the legislators just passed a bill yesterday to raise the occupancy tax from 9.25 to 12 percent. I didn't catch when that goes into affect, but once it happens everyone staying in a hotel, Air BnB, or any rental that last less than six months will have to pay it. They had to find more money to pay for the rail and they still don't have enough to finish the rail. So the tax raising is still going to get worse for everyone. There are a lot of other cities that have high hotel tax rates. But most cities don't have high hotel prices like Hawaii. At some point, it will cause tourism to slow down.

I believe that the tax increase is for Honolulu County only.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Ugh!!! Again, owners are asked to pay a disproportionate share.

View attachment 3767
I don't understand why timeshares are charged more tax than hotels. $15.43 vs. $9.37. The tax on hotels brings in 3 times as much as timeshares since there are more of them. If they charged them the same rate they would collect about $60,000,000 more or about a 20% increase in revenue. That could prevent them from having to raise taxes again for a number of years.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Seems as though there is still time to way in on this if so desired. I realize we go through this every year but at what point is enough. This is absurd. We pay 5.4 times more in taxes than a local on top of TOT for property we own. I was seriously considering picking up another 2bm/ LO on Maui but can't stomach this. Hawaii is paradise but I am very close to marginal return. It's infuriating being the butt of their illegitimate extortion. I am a past Mayor and am very familiar with Municipal and County taxing authorities and am in awe of the arrogance of - and disdain with which the board treats timeshare owners. If one of their constituents was being treated this way they would be screaming from the mountain tops. Ohh the injustice- unless your a timeshare owner from the mainland.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Just an FYI

Schedule by Department (subject to change)
  • March 30 – Budget overview, revenues, countywide costs, Department of Finance
  • March 31 – Department of Housing and Human Concerns, excluding Animal Management, Department of Water Supply
  • April 4 – Department of Parks and Recreation
  • April 5 – Office of the Mayor, excluding Office of Economic Development, Department of Personnel Services
  • April 6 – Rates and fees, General Budget provisions
  • April 7 – Department of Planning (Rates & Fees), Dept. of Public Works (Rates & Fees), Department of Police (CIP, Category ABC, Grants, and special purpose revenues), Department of Water Supply (Rates & Fees)
  • April 11 – Department of Corporation Counsel, Department of Public Works
  • April 12 – Department of Fire and Public Safety, Department of Management
  • April 13 – Department of Prosecuting Attorney, Department of Liquor Control
  • April 17 – Office of Economic Development, Department of Transportation
  • April 18 – Department of Housing and Human Concerns (Grants and Animal Control Management)
  • April 19 – Department of Environmental Management
  • April 20 – Real Property Tax, Emergency Management Agency, Department of Planning
  • April 21 – Office of the County Auditor, Office of the County Clerk, Office of Council Services
  • April 24 – 28 – Decision-making
  • May 12 – Public Hearings
  • May 19 – First reading
  • May 30 – Second reading
  • June 10 – Council’s deadline to approve the FY 2018 budget
Testimony will also be accepted at any of the posted meetings in the Council Chambers throughout the deliberations and decision-making process. Each meeting agenda will be available at MauiCounty.us/agendasand testimony will also be accepted via email at bf.committee@mauicounty.us.

taffy19

Reaction score
I doubt if it will make a difference unless many timeshare owners will come to the meeting and voice their objections or all of us send an email instead.

We went to a meeting once a few years ago and there were many Westin timeshare owners present because they were hit the hardest of all timeshare owners on Maui. I believe that they ended up having to pay up anyway or it may still be fought in court.

I tried to find the old link of that meeting and I also Googled for the person who was involved with the Timeshare Ohana Pac and there are several links to read about it still how politics work.

Here are also a few links about the rail project on Oahu today that will go ahead and the taxes involved for that project.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/1...n-to-extend-funding-for-honolulu-rail-project

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/1...down-todays-major-financing-agreement-on-rail