• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

base for exploring England

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
which area/timeshare would be a good base for a week to explore England, with day trips of under 1.5 hours each way? being able to take public transit to London for at least 1 day would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Family with 2 teens, who like scenery, historic stuff, castles, fun pubs, etc.
I would like to trade in July 2018 in RCI, but can also do extra vacations and getaways with II, which seem to offer more options.
also open to Scotland, if teens would not be too bored.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
In my opinion, London is the best base. All the rail lines run out from London like spokes on a hub. Its a short ride to Hampton Court, Bath, etc. There is so much to see in London.

Study the layout of the rail system and pick a spot on the line that intersects the places you want to visit, you may find an RCI location near that line. There aren't many RCI central locations available, I gave up looking. I now book a vrbo style rental on Homeaway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks. we are looking to stay outside of London, as we have 4-5 people and it's $$$ in London, plus we have been 2X to London. A day trip to London, or a night prior to going to timeshare would suffice for us. We can rent a car, if necessary.
I was considering Broom in Canterbury area vs. Lake district vs. other.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd think that you could throw a dart at a map of England and find enough interesting stuff within 1 1/2 hours to keep everyone's interest for a week of day-trips. The place is history and scenery rich. Enjoy!

ivorius007

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Wychnor Park in Staffordshire. The timeshare unit was very comfortable and the location served as a good touring center. We went to Chatsworth, one of the great country estates, the Peak District, Stoke-on-Trent to see the potteries (and the Wedgewood visitor center). Also Hardwick Hall was well worth a visit. As was the town of Litchfield with an impressive Cathedral and history. Statford-on-Avon might be doable for a day trip but might be further than 1.5 hour drive. You could also go west to Wales.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We have also done a week at Sutton Hall and found it to be an exceptional "base" for England. We piggy-bagged an overnighter for two days in London, which worked out OK too. The limitation will be that you won't easily do the southern sights from Sutton Hall . . . but there is certainly enough up that way to keep you and the family engaged.

As for Scotland, we're a big fan of the Moness Resort in Aberfeldy. So much so, we're going back in 2018. (Back in 2006 we did a week at Moness Resort followed by the week at Sutton Hall.)

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll also be at Barnsdale next year (Conan - when you going?? and yay for Quaysiders, we loved it) and as I recall Barnsdale is too not far from London. It's a large resort and usually has decent availability.

It's close enough to drive directly to from Heathrow same day after we land, and ok for a very long day trip to London (2 hrs each way by train I read) or better yet, a night prior or following.

I can't say yet how well located it is generally, but I've thought about a day trip to Birmingham. I also have a mind to work in a Call the Midwife tour, but that may well require an overnight or extra night.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks for all the advice. I think we have decided to just rent a flat in London and base out of there with 3 days in London and 3 day trips. We really do not want to rent a car.
We did get 2 hits for HGVC 2BR in Scotland for July 2018, but decided to/from EDI is just too much moving around, b/c we really want a few days in London also, and then will be moving over to northern Europe.