• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Grand Luxxe - RM vs NV

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only ever stayed at the NV compound but I love how many GL exclusive pools there are and amenities. I just looked at the site for RM and am deciding whether to book there for a change. Youppi posted some 4BR sightings only available in RM in 2018 that I may pull the trigger on, but before I do, I'd love some input.

The RM compound looks way less impressive and looks to be about 30 minutes away from the airport. Is RM a significant downgrade compared to NV in terms of size, luxury, variety? There seems to only be one rectangular GL exclusive pool, and no GM theme park with all the lazy river and waterslide stuff there is at NV.

The reason why I'm concerned is that I live on the west coast of Canada, and airfare is going to be a jump for 4 flyers in my family, so I need to know if it is going to be disappointing compared to NV. That said, may be worth it to experience a 4BR. The pics aren't really doing it for me, but I have no way of guaranteeing a loft 3BR stay and that's really where I want to be. Last year we pulled a 3BR and wound up in the Presidential suite in Punta which was beautiful, but I'm dying to see the inside of a 3 BR residence loft.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the RM property better than the NV property because there is a lot more to do in the Mayan Riviera. The units that we stayed in on both properties were comparable, but there are more activities in the Mayan Riviera than in PV. Look up Xcaret, XelHa, XPLOR, Tulum, Coba, etc. Also the Cirque de Soleil is great.

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 young kids and don't foresee leaving the compound except for groceries. Would we get bored staying on site? We don't in NV

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guys, while we're at it, where do you get groceries when you stay at Vidanta RM? How close is the nearest Walmart, Costco, Mega or other? Looking to get the whole week's worth of groceries in one go and hoping it's not too far off compound.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Guys, while we're at it, where do you get groceries when you stay at Vidanta RM? How close is the nearest Walmart, Costco, Mega or other? Looking to get the whole week's worth of groceries in one go and hoping it's not too far off compound.

I was just there last month. There's nothing "close".

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect the best thing to do would be to have whatever transportation company you use to make a grocery stop along the way. I think USA Transfers charges about $30 for an hour to do the grocery stop.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I like the RM property better than the NV property because there is a lot more to do in the Mayan Riviera. The units that we stayed in on both properties were comparable, but there are more activities in the Mayan Riviera than in PV. Look up Xcaret, XelHa, XPLOR, Tulum, Coba, etc. Also the Cirque de Soleil is great.
Ditto. We've been to both. Next trip is to NV (since friends wanted to go to NV), but DW and I are missing RM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
You can take a shuttle or taxi to Playa del Carmen for Walmart or Mega. You can take a taxi to Puerto Morelos for Mega. PM is closer and we prefer it.

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
With free pickup by Vidanta from airport and the new exhorbitant daily fee, I would skip arranging my own transportation to the resort, especially since it's 30 minutes away instead of 5. Good to know which grocery store is closest though, sounds like Mega in PM. So far all votes for RM over NV, but it looks like you guys like the options for going off site. For another few years yet our goal is not to leave at all except just once for groceries, so is there enough to do and enough variety on site only to select RM over NV?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
For another few years yet our goal is not to leave at all except just once for groceries, so is there enough to do and enough variety on site only to select RM over NV?

I think so, especially if you plan on leaving just for groceries. That's what we typically do now when we go to RM...with an occasional excursion.

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I really appreciate the opinions, it is quite opposite of what I expected. Part of what we love about NV is the variety of pools - GL Pool, Punta pools, Shaded pool and kids pools at building 4, all exclusive to the GL level. We also love the lazy river. Is it crowded at the RM Mayan pool? That seems to be the main and most extensive pool structure. I like GL exclusive pools as it is easy in shoulder season to get great day beds. I'm worried about being disappointed by a more crowded less exclusive pool with less upscale pool furnishings. I was not that impressed with the aerial view of the rectangular exclusive GL pool I saw in google maps satellite view.

Also, one more question for those who have had 3 and 4BR experience at the GL level - how does the 4BR residence compare to the 3BR options (spa, presidential and loft?) I've only stayed in the presidential in NV Punta bldg - gorgeous - but the floor plan of the 4BR and the pics to me don't look as good as the loft or the presidential. I'm curious but with the size upgrade fee it might not be worth it either. Thoughts?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? I can't think of anything NOT to like about the new (as of November) 4BR in the Grand Luxxe Residence in Rivieria Maya. With almost 6,000sf, it looks even more luxurious than the 3BR's in Nuevo Vallarta. We had a top floor 3BR corner spa unit in Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta for two weeks and absolutely loved, loved, loved it. Our kids were in a 3BR suite in the Punta Bldg. We spent a lot of time on our decks in NV, but think these Riviera Maya 4BR decks look even better.

Photo below (along with others) is from https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1002496vb (It's not my ad, but it has several photos. I don't own at Vidanta.)

772910b9-6f39-4b31-8cec-c33b70a90c7a.c10.jpg

The floorplan looks pretty sweet, and the main deck (fully open to the living and dining rooms) is HUGE. http://www.vidanta.com/en/resort-hotels/grand-luxxe/riviera-maya/accommodations

gallery-1.jpg

The-Residence-Four-Bedroom.jpg

Last edited:

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked at all those pics and definitely no complaints, it's just that with the 3BR pres in the NV punta building every room has the soaker tub, and the lock off allows us to sleep our kids on the 1BR half's couch. And the ceiling on the loft is rad.

These are my considerations: With the 3BR to fill, I know I can guarantee every one who signs on as a family to come with us and take a room a pretty sweet private living area. In the 4BR, two of the rooms do not have the soaker tub and a smaller private living area. Plus it is $100 more than the 3BR with the size upgrade fee.

Also groceries are shaping up to be a pain, and I have NV figured out. I have to admit I'm torn, so I might have to book it with an Eplus to see what comes up in NV later.

We're on the wet coast of Canada, so flying 4 of us to RM instead of NV will also cost more.