• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help...Got kicked out of my exchange week

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have put two names on the guest certificates for II when there are two separate groups coming and going, even if one of the "guests" is myself. I then call the resort and explain and arrange for a full cleaning mid week. I agree this was handled very poorly, but it is a wake up call for all owners to communicate intentions with the front desk.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Sure, Trading Places could have put both names on the certificate. Sure, the front desk should have been notified about all the occupants and the dates of arrival/departure. Those are things that I normally take care of ahead of time when doing anything out of the ordinary.

There is still no excuse for the manager to remove the occupants while they still had time left on their exchange with the exchange company on the phone trying to fix it. The exchangers weren't trying to pull a fast one, they weren't renting out part of their week and they had the exchange company on the phone trying to remedy the situation. Them being kicked out shows absolutely no regard for customer service. As I mentioned before, I have read tons of complaints about the manager on Yelp and Tripadvisor over the years. I have been fortunate in that I didn't see him at all during my previous 2 exchanges there, but after this thread, Blue Whale won't be on my list of places that I will stay at in the future. And, I was a big Blue Whale fan previously.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think this resort needs our patronage. I will never go there after reading this.

But to the OP, this could have been avoided had you simply put all 4 names on the reservation. This could have been handled in a quick phone call to the resort. TPI was wrong in telling you to get a GC. What they should have done was add your guests' names to your reservation. Then there wouldn't have been a problem. So TPI was wrong.

The manager is/was a boor. What an uncouth way to handle a sticky situation. He could have listened to the exchange company when they explained it was really the OPs week. He could have been a decent human being and tried to work it out with you. So the manager was wrong.

Bottom line the whole thing was handled poorly. And even if the manager was correct in a legal sense, in a moral sense, he couldn't be more culpable

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I think he did it because they rented the room out. It doesn't excuse the behavior but I guess I have a hard time thinking anyone in that position would do that that unless they rented the room to someone else.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
That's why I think he did it because they rented the room out. It doesn't excuse the behavior but I guess I have a hard time thinking anyone in that position would do that that unless they rented the room to someone else.

I agree.

And this is why a TUG boycott is meaningless. The resort location is prime. They will always have plenty of nightly renters available during holiday and Summer weeks. They will even have lots lined up for off weeks.

I think the OP should write a letter to the HOA asking them to fire the manager and hire someone with better customer service. Cite the Yelp and TripAdviser complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
THAT would be absolutely abhorrent to me. If they rented the rest of the week, I would be outraged. That was NOT their week to RENT.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
THAT would be absolutely abhorrent to me. If they rented the rest of the week, I would be outraged. That was NOT their week to RENT.

That is your opinion but legally it might depend. Did the occupant completely vacate the room? Here in Florida I was told that if a room is clearly vacated the staff and resort have a right to take the room back. With the OP's story of the manager stating a policy of 24 hours it sounds like that is what happened, or at least something along those lines.

thuatplay

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort did not know my sister left, since the office closed around 4:30pm on weekends and she left after dinner. We didn't have issues on Sunday, our first day there. It could've been that because the mgr wasn't there until Monday, and he found out it wasn't the same car that had been there before. When they called my husband to the office, as soon as the mgr heard my sister left, from inside his office, he just called out, 'you're trespassing, you need to leave.' He didn't want to hear any explanation. Didn't even leave his room. Makes my blood boiling just thinking about it again.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The resort did not know my sister left, since the office closed around 4:30pm on weekends and she left after dinner. We didn't have issues on Sunday, our first day there. It could've been that because the mgr wasn't there until Monday, and he found out it wasn't the same car that had been there before. When they called my husband to the office, as soon as the mgr heard my sister left, from inside his office, he just called out, 'you're trespassing, you need to leave.' He didn't want to hear any explanation. Didn't even leave his room. Makes my blood boiling just thinking about it again.

But going back to the guest certificate- the dates that your relatives were going to be there were on that certificate I assume and I believe they figured they were gone. They did not know you were going to be coming in afterwards is what I believe and they rented out the unit.

The manager sounds like a real jerk. The whole situation is bizarre.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to write a review and include this. This thread will slide down, but people will look at the reviews.

Becky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Polynesian, DVC AKL Jambo House, Foxrun, Fairways of the Mountains, Blue Ridge Village, Treetops, Gatlinburg Town Square, and Waterside.
I just found this thread. Interesting that this resort can rent this room if occupants leave early. Whenever I have a Disney Exchange and leave early, the front desk looks at me like I am crazy but states that they cannot legally occupy the room until checkout date of the exchange. They even said I may change my mind and decide to return so they cannot use the room for another guest. I don't know if this is RCI, Florida, or Disney rules but over the years it has happened more than once at Disneyworld and Disney Hilton Head.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Call a nice cheap lawyer. Send a registered letter to TPI, the resort and the management group for the resort.
Letter of intent to file suit for: illegal eviction, verbal assault. Due to the managers uninvited and threatening manner during the eviction--including threats of law-enforcement etc...--you will be pursuing compensation for emotional distress due to stress, anxiety and emotional anguish. Name the property, management group, TPI and ,specifically, the manager BY NAME

I suggest that you will be contacted and they will seek to apologize, compensate you for the week lost and your distress and pay your (small) legal fees.

This is ridiculous. Even if they DID throw you out of the property, well within their legal rights, they could have been 'nice' about it throughout the process.

IMHO

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Be sure to write a review and include this. This thread will slide down, but people will look at the reviews.

I think one needs to be a TUG member to write/read reviews. The OP is not a member.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have stayed at timeshares and spent a day or night away. Never notified them, but left things in the unit to show we were still there. Unless you turn in the keys to the timeshare, they should not assume you have left.
Silentg