• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

one large vs multiple small

donymo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Don and I am new here. I plan to acquire one or ore Wyndham resales soon, and here's my question:

If I want to acquire a 500,000 points, is it better to buy 500k once or two at 250k? Other than having to do two closings, do the costs come out the same?

Also, if I buy 2 contracts at 250k each, can they be. combined into one account?

If the 2 are at different locations and are combined, which maintenance rate is used?

thanks

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference is in the closing costs, preparing 2 deeds and 2 sets of recording fees and 2 of wyndham transfer fees is more than one

but if you do buy two they will both end up in the same account. and if they are at different resorts, they can be used in the ARP period only at their respective resorts, they cant be combined for one 500000 point vacation in the ARP period.. At 10 months they can be combined

maintenance fees are figured for each contract separately and then added together to determine your monthly bill

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then, there is CWA, a pin s only contract. There is no recording fees far as the deed, there is none, but still all other fees, but, they can combine for ARP at 13 months, at club access resorts.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually we're not buying just points, but a specific type of contract. If there are multiple choices, then it would probably be best to buy the 500,000 in one contract.

Many of us started small, then added additional contracts. My first contract was for a fixed week 7 in Pompano, FL with the option to use 140,000 points. When my account became active, I was able to use current year's points to book week 52 in Pompano, so I used my week 7 points to book in Hawaii. I liked the points system, but not knowing how many points I would use, over two years I added three more small contracts from ebay.

For my additional contracts, I wanted low maintenance fee (mf) points. I own National Harbor and Panama City. There were not a lot of contracts of that type on ebay, so I acquired 105,000 and two every other year (eoy) 168,000 contracts. It seems that a lot of eoy contracts are pushed onto reluctant buyers for about $17,000. These can be obtained at relatively low cost when considering that about one years mf is likely to be prepaid.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If/when it comes time to dispose of your points, getting rid of a single 500K contract will be easier than multiple small contracts that add to 500K. Again, it's because of the fees associated with closing and transfer.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We bought 4 contracts with no thought about this question (as we do for a lot of things, unfortunately!! :) The only upside we have is that we have the ability to reduce our ownership in increments if we decide we will be vacationing less, i.e. reduce from over 1M points to 420K points by selling 3 contracts and not having to go through eBay to repurchase. But I think the points above make more sense...

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite often, closing costs are not a factor. Many ebay auctions have them paid by the buyer. The final price will just depend on who is bidding. It's best to snipe in the last few seconds of the auction.

For all of my contracts, when considering the prepaid mf, my total out of pocket cost was less than $1000 for 413,000 points. Over the past few years, I have saved more than that vs renting.
I can give away my desirable contracts with the buyer paying the closing fees. Also, currently Wyndham is taking back contracts at no cost.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Not in a points program, but I own six weeks of timeshare. My rule is buy where you want to stay. Lots of places acquired thru other TUG members. If I wasn't exchanging I could be happy going to my own resorts. If you like the resort, buy there, but buy resale.
Silentg

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to buy contracts in multiples of 77k points, which aligns with the Reservation Transaction allotment schedule.

So if you wanted two smaller contracts, get a 231k and a 308k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham institutes a 10 contract limit per member number, and you have 3 places you want or need ARP (Advance Reservation Priority) ... you might have to dump smaller contract to add more points under your member number. Or you retire and want to travel more ... you have to dump those small point contract.

And generally, any and all small points contracts will (actually gained to a degree now) have a negative value ... magnified by the $299 fee to Wyndham for transfer EACH deed.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
And generally, any and all small points contracts will (actually gained to a degree now) have a negative value ... magnified by the $299 fee to Wyndham for transfer EACH deed.
Small is a relative term. I've seen 32k, 77k, and 105k contracts I would consider as "small." Personally, I would not buy anything under 200k unless there was a compelling reason to do so (adding more owners to an account for very little MF liability, for instance).

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Small is a relative term. I've seen 32k, 77k, and 105k contracts I would consider as "small." Personally, I would not buy anything under 200k unless there was a compelling reason to do so (adding more owners to an account for very little MF liability, for instance).

Actually, each member number is now limited to 10 contracts ... small contracts are actually losing way more of their value.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, each member number is now limited to 10 contracts ... small contracts are actually losing way more of their value.
I had a feeling you would mention that, but 10x 231k (my personal minimum) is still 2.3 million points. Contracts of at least this size are still viable for most owners.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duplicate

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
You have to determine your reason for buying. Do you want specific resorts? Do you want low maintenance fees? Do you want Advanced Reservation Priority? What are your motives for buying?

Our family is interested in new experiences. So we went for low maintenance fees to give us more points for more trips. ARP is not a concern for us, nor do we prefer to go back to the same resort time and again. I got 1.4+ million points whose maintenance fees would be about equal to most contracts of 1 million points or less.

Your situation might be quite different from ours. You might want to go to Glacier Canyon every summer with young kids. Or Smuggs in winter or Bonnet Creek for Disney. In that case you would need to own there and the hell with what the MF's are. And then look at what a week would cost you point wise at the time you want to go there. Make sure you get a contract that is at least that size or bigger.

Plan according to your wants and needs, not size of contract. If you are like us, get one big contract. If you need specificity, buy the contract that will get you to the place you want to go for a week at the time of year you want to go.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater

I know the ten contract limit has been a hot topic but has it been confirmed as being in place now? Not doubting anybody here, just not sure it is in effect . I will ask at update tomorrow if nobody can give us a concrete affirmation.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know the ten contract limit has been a hot topic but has it been confirmed as being in place now? Not doubting anybody here, just not sure it is in effect . I will ask at update tomorrow if nobody can give us a concrete affirmation.

Do you get confirmation yesterday?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's not true. I will have a big old splattering of egg on my face.

All I can tell you if it's not true I was lied to by a Wyndham employee and that has nothing to do with sales

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Do you get confirmation yesterday?

Sales manager looked at me like I had two heads. But I take it with a grain of salt. He couldn't tell me what the maintenance fees were at Clearwater Beach either. So maybe this idea of a 10 contract limit is being held back for the next round of changes?

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
If it's not true. I will have a big old splattering of egg on my face.

All I can tell you if it's not true I was lied to by a Wyndham employee and that has nothing to do with sales

Maybe the person you talked to jumped the gun a bit. Maybe this is something Wyndham is considering but not concrete certain on.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few small contracts but now my husband is wishing that we had less contracts to keep track of. Under the old call in system, I wouldn't even consider ARP. If I can book online, I might consider it now.

I think that it is harder to scale up or down with large contracts. I can dump one or pick up one rather easily. I wouldn't do EOY again as sometimes (like now) you end up lop-sided. I do wish that we weren't lop-sided. :)

donymo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few small contracts but now my husband is wishing that we had less contracts to keep track of. Under the old call in system, I wouldn't even consider ARP. If I can book online, I might consider it now.

I think that it is harder to scale up or down with large contracts. I can dump one or pick up one rather easily. I wouldn't do EOY again as sometimes (like now) you end up lop-sided. I do wish that we weren't lop-sided. :)

You cannot book online?
What does "do EOY" and "lop-sided" mean?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You cannot book online?
What does "do EOY" and "lop-sided" mean?

You had to call in for your advance priority (but they say that you will be able to use that online shortly.)

EOY is one of those even use or odd use year contracts. I have a 210K even use year at WBC. I pay each year for the 105K and receive the reservation transaction(s) and housekeeping credits but I can only use the 210 in even years. I also have a 126 PCB contract that is even use year. So at the moment I only have 140K in odd years with 476K in even years. I need to fix that.