• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Leftover Staroptions

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
So I have 550 Staroptions remaining unused for 2017. Is there any reason I should bank them or just let them go? I can't just justify the expense just to bank 550 options. I'm not seeing a strategy I can use with them. The reason I have 550 options left is because I used my WKV week to travel in a lower season, resulting in more nights and costing less options, plus 1 night booked at another resort that we are pre-extending at before a work meeting. All in all I am getting 10 nights out of my WKV week so there's no question of value, but again that means I have 550 options left. Am I missing any strategies here? I just hate to see options go unused....

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I asked a similar question in post #204 of the Banking StarOptions [Important update 2/13/12!] thread. I was asking about banking 1800 SOs. It was a tough call. We don't end up needing to bank that few this year. It was mentioned, that it seems when you don't bank them you will end up being a few hundred short for a reservation you need in the next year or two. It is a tough call to determine if it is worth the $99 fee.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Yeah I saw that and that was a while ago. My situation is also 550 options, far fewer.....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What kind of SO usage will you have next year? Will you have more or less than 550 left over next year? If more, then it may not make sense to bank. But if you will have less than 550 (including the banked) you may want to bank this year, it would be only $99 for the two years since you won't have to pay the banking fee next year.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Financially the answer is no unless you model out your SO usage for 2017 and find you need any of them.

Then it makes sense.

The 2017 calendar is published so you can build your plan and see if it comes to 148101 > 148650 SO.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Financially the answer is no unless you model out your SO usage for 2017 and find you need any of them.

Then it makes sense.

The 2017 calendar is published so you can build your plan and see if it comes to 148101 > 148650 SO.

The $99 banking fee is about a third or a fourth of the cash price for a hotel room for a night. 650 StarOptions is not worth nearly as much. So unless you fall within the narrow band described above, let the SO's go.

nativesun1979

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it one fee if ypu have SO left over from multiple different weeks or is it one fee per week with SO remaining?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it one fee if ypu have SO left over from multiple different weeks or is it one fee per week with SO remaining?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
What if you bank some StarOptions early and call back to bank more. Is there another fee? The material online seems to indicate it is a per transaction fee. So I would expect two fees?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if you bank some StarOptions early and call back to bank more. Is there another fee? The material online seems to indicate it is a per transaction fee. So I would expect two fees?
Yes, it is per transaction. That's why it's important to try to estimate the number of SO you might need to use, in case you don't want to bank all of the left over SO.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, it is per transaction. That's why it's important to try to estimate the number of SO you might need to use, in case you don't want to bank all of the left over SO.
And also to this extent, once banked they are gone from that use year. Now borrowing exists I imagine you can borrow back, for another fee.

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
There is no fee for borrowing but the next years maintenance fees need to be paid before a borrow can be put in.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to Vistana - I understand that
  • Once you bank points (before the deadline, e.g., on June 30, 2016) you cannot use them for any stays during the remainder of that year (2016)
  • However, you can access them immediately for reservations for the following year (e.g., on July 10, 2016 you could use your banked points to make a reservation for July 10, 2017)
  • Your banked points remain in your account for up to three years with no additional banking fee (e.g., if you don't use all of your points banked on June 30, 2016, you don't need to pay another banking fee in 2017 for those points that are unused). You would, however, have to pay a new banking fee if you had 2017 points that you were not going to use
Can someone confirm if I am understanding this correctly? Thank you.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
New to Vistana - I understand that
  • Once you bank points (before the deadline, e.g., on June 30, 2016) you cannot use them for any stays during the remainder of that year (2016)
  • However, you can access them immediately for reservations for the following year (e.g., on July 10, 2016 you could use your banked points to make a reservation for July 10, 2017)
  • Your banked points remain in your account for up to three years with no additional banking fee (e.g., if you don't use all of your points banked on June 30, 2016, you don't need to pay another banking fee in 2017 for those points that are unused). You would, however, have to pay a new banking fee if you had 2017 points that you were not going to use
Can someone confirm if I am understanding this correctly? Thank you.

I believe you are correct on the first point.

You are generally correct on the second, but the example you give would not work. If you had banked StarOptions prior to the banking deadline, then on July 10, 2016, you could have made reservations for up to March 10, 2017, because they would be limited to eight months out.

Banked StarOptions are good for two calendar years beyond the use year. So those 2016 StarOptions banked on June 30, 2016 can be used for travel beginning up to December 31, 2018.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very helpful. Thanks for the important clarification on the 8 month window for banked points. Assume that applies to home resort as well? In other words, banked points are "different" than points when they are initially granted?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Very helpful. Thanks for the important clarification on the 8 month window for banked points. Assume that applies to home resort as well? In other words, banked points are "different" than points when they are initially granted?

Banked StarOptions show in your account as banked StarOptions; they are not associated with your unit.

Look at it like this: if your banked options were usable at the twelve month mark at your home resort the next year, it would be as if there were 53 owners with equal rights to the 52 available weeks.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Dan,
Call staroptions what they are, or SO's. Points refer to spg points, which some members here have with their timeshare.

Also once banked, it's better to use the next years SO's before the banked SO's when reserving.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Banked StarOptions show in your account as banked StarOptions; they are not associated with your unit.

Look at it like this: if your banked options were usable at the twelve month mark at your home resort the next year, it would be as if there were 53 owners with equal rights to the 52 available weeks.

That makes sense. Eight month window keeps things fair and workable.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dan,
Call staroptions what they are, or SO's. Points refer to spg points, which some members here have with their timeshare.

Also once banked, it's better to use the next years SO's before the banked SO's when reserving.

Good point StarOptions not points. To see if I'm tracking, use next year's SOs before the banked ones because:
  • Full 12 month window at home resort
  • Don't want to find yourself paying for banking your new SOs if you just use your banked SOs
  • Take advantage of the 3 year consumption flexibility with banked SOs
Right?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Good point StarOptions not points. To see if I'm tracking, use next year's SOs before the banked ones because:
  • Full 12 month window at home resort
  • Don't want to find yourself paying for banking your new SOs if you just use your banked SOs
  • Take advantage of the 3 year consumption flexibility with banked SOs
Right?
I think you have the concept correct, but the terminology might be confusing. There is really a 3 year consumption of StarOptions. Once banked, the consumption window drops to two years. Just something to be aware of, if you were thinking otherwise.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you have the concept correct, but the terminology might be confusing. There is really a 3 year consumption of StarOptions. Once banked, the consumption window drops to two years. Just something to be aware of, if you were thinking otherwise.

Got it. Thanks.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I think also, if stuff happens and you later want to use your banked options this year, you can, provided you pay next year's MF.
I've not done it myself, but think I read it in another thread or heard from Vistana CS.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think also, if stuff happens and you later want to use your banked options this year, you can, provided you pay next year's MF.
I've not done it myself, but think I read it in another thread or heard from Vistana CS.
You aren't really using your banked options, you end up just borrowing next years options and then next year you use the banked options. In effect it is the same as borrowing back banked options, but not technically the same.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You aren't really using your banked options, you end up just borrowing next years options and then next year you use the banked options. In effect it is the same as borrowing back banked options, but not technically the same.
Not at all technically the same. At that point you lose your home resort 12m booking window. For some that matters, for others not; personally I have never stayed at my home resort.