• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Punalu'u on Big Island and VOG

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who often visits Sea Mountain at Punalu'u have an opinion on the severity of VOG and sulfur there? We're planning to visit the B.I. in April 2018, and are torn between renting a condo near Hilo, and staying at Sea Mountain. We would only rent to avoid VOG.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell... especially as it's also going to be another year out.
The wind pattern actually makes the VOG worse, with more particles, in South Kona.
It's not quite so bad around Punalu'u. Personally, I would not stay at Sea Mountain, and would choose Hilo hands down instead, between the two. Why not staying in Volcano? I always rent a place up from the park, near the winery - never any VOG there, even when emissions are high in the park (go figure...).
The Punalu'u beach was closed to swimming a few days ago, because of a large tiger shark sighting.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've stayed at Sea Mountain, and would opt for Hilo, regardless of the VOG. There is NOTHING to do around the Sea Mountain location, after you've seen the black sand beach. The nearest restaurants or grocery stores are in Na'alehu, which is about a half hour drive, and those are limited in their appeal. The few restaurants around the VNP are easily accessed from either direction, so there is no advantage to staying at Punalu'u. Hilo has much more to see and do, and isn't all that far downhill from the VNP. For the minimal savings in driving distances to things on the south end of the BI, I'd stay in Hilo.

Dave

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
. . . We would only rent to avoid VOG.
Aloha,
It is our experience that Kapoho has fewer days of VOG than Hilo https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...4cc8628!8m2!3d19.8967662!4d-155.5827818?hl=en
There are no time shares there; VRBO lists many houses and a few studios. The closest restaurant, grocery store & gas is in Pahoa - about 8 miles - so it is not for everyone.
If you are interested in tracking it for a while:
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_state&stateid=12
http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/
Jack

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Punalu'u is close to sea level, whereas the summit crater (where most of the emissions occur) is more than 4000 feet above sea level. In all of the times that we have been there, Punalu'u has been below the VOC. Now, driving the road to Punalu'u from Kona, I have experienced very severe VOG on the south slopes of Mauna Kea, near Hawai'i Ocean View Estates. I have also see the VOG wrap all of the way around the mountain.

I was in Honolulu in January of last year, and the VOG was quite noticeable there.

We've stayed at Sea Mountain several times, never for more than three nights, because it is the closest timeshare to Volcanoes park. We've also stayed at a B&B in Mountan View, which is halfway between Hilo and Volcano. We thought that was a good location to visit both the park and the Puna Coast.

With all of that being said, if you are open to renting, I would also suggest staying somewhere on the Hilo side of the mountain. First is that unless there is extremely unusual weather, you will be upwind of the volcano. Second is that if you want to view lava flows, there's a good chance that the best viewing area will be accessible from the Puna area, which you can only get to from the Hilo area. Third is that the Puna coast itself is a wonderful place, that doesn't get much tourist traffic (except for lava viewers), and being based out of Hilo makes it easier to get to that area.

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who often visits Sea Mountain at Punalu'u have an opinion on the severity of VOG and sulfur there? We're planning to visit the B.I. in April 2018, and are torn between renting a condo near Hilo, and staying at Sea Mountain. We would only rent to avoid VOG.

We spent an afternoon in the area last summer. Vog didn't seem to be a problem then, but the place (Sea Mountain 'Resort') was really run down. Same with the golf course. Didn't seem to be much around there - methinks boredom could be a bigger problem than vog.

-------Zach

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We stayed at Sea Mountain in January 2017. Our Condo was fine. You have easy access to Black Sand Beach, Green Sand Beach, South Point, and the Volcano National Park. Though for Volcano National Park we spent 2 days there and being Retire Military we stayed 1 night at KMC. We don't Golf.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you staying elsewhere on Island as well? It's not a prime location for vacation, Sea Mountain. If you are coming only to South and East part of the island, I would stay in Volcano, Hilo or the South Hamakua Coast.
About the only places you don't have VOG at some point seem to be the Kohala Coast, Waimea, No Hamakua Coast.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Interesting how people have different opinions. We LOVE Sea Mountain and are here now and will be here again in 2 weeks and have another week reserved in May. It is one of our most favorite places-- but then we like QUIET! and being near the volcano. No problem with VOG here - clear and sunny. It was actually worse in Kona last week, the higher elevations were covered with clouds and my SIL who lives here, said it's been somewhat bad there. At Sea Mountain, we have a beautiful ocean view from our lanai - in fact, I am out here now. We buy groceries in Kona before driving down and will hit several farmers' markets this week, as well as going to the volcano and Hilo. Otherwise, we walk, see the turtles, swim and relax. Saw 8 turtles today!

It's nice to have time in Kona and weeks here too....

Past years, we've stayed in a BnB in Volcano and also a few days in Hilo to spend maximum time in each area. We like to stay in timeshares however, and as soon as we found Sea Mountain we stay here, as well as up in Kona.

But then it is not glitzy here with lots of activities....just RELAXING time!!

I have asthma too but have had no problems in the past at Sea Mountain. I did one time in Kona tho in a previous year.

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
U{DATE:

We had NO VOG at Sea Mountain where we were for 2 weeks. Lots of it here in Kona though! The VOG is blown over the mountain in back of Sea Mountain toward Kona.

Of course, it all depends upon the winds at the time you are here.