• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Vida Resort fees when booking through II

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Glad to hear they will honor the $75 per night. I booked a second units as I am taking my parents and niece. I had planned to do a guest certificate for my parents. Since I am platinum with Interval there is no extra charge. Now I am wondering if that will switch the confirmation to the new fees? Thoughts? Do I need to do the guest certificate if I am traveling with them?

I had a booking prior to the date of fee increase, my confirmation had the $75 fee. After the date I went in and requested a resend of the confirmation and it showed the new $11/day fees. My experience is any confirmation sent after the date will show the new fee, Interval has updated their system. You don't need a guest cert if you are traveling with them, and if you did I'd bet it would show the new fee. Hang on to your original confirmation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wouldn't be so sure about not needing the guest certificate unless someone who specifically booked multiple rooms with Vida through II has experience with this.

Through RCI which like II, I generally don't book a guest certificate when booking multiple units, Vida (Grand Mayan) specifically says they will cancel concurrent reservations unless there is a guest certificate for the second unit.

Supposedly they are looking at the date the reservation is made. Worse comes to worse if you are not up to the max capacity in your room say the extras are staying with you (in the $75 per unit per week) and only 1 is staying in the other so that one would be $77 for the week if they try to charge $11 pppd.

bjammin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a confirmed exchange on RCI for the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta for Jan 13th-20th, 2017. My original confirmation email dated 08/17/2015 from RCI details the Resort fee as $75.00 per unit, per week for International travelers. In looking at a confirmation I printed today from RCI's site, under the Urgent information box, Mandatory fees, the resort fee is now listed as $11.00 per adult, per night. I will bring my original confirmation email to Vidanta when I check in and push for the original $75.00 fee.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I have a confirmed exchange on RCI for the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta for Jan 13th-20th, 2017. My original confirmation email dated 08/17/2015 from RCI details the Resort fee as $75.00 per unit, per week for International travelers. In looking at a confirmation I printed today from RCI's site, under the Urgent information box, Mandatory fees, the resort fee is now listed as $11.00 per adult, per night. I will bring my original confirmation email to Vidanta when I check in and push for the original $75.00 fee.
They've honored the $75 II confirmations made prior to Sep...hopefully they'll do the same with your RCI one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope that thse fees are not charged to an owner. I bougth a GL loft and NV in Nov 2015. I have not been to NV since.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I hope that thse fees are not charged to an owner. I bougth a GL loft and NV in Nov 2015. I have not been to NV since.
My understanding is that the fee does not apply to owners. I'm not an owner so you may want verification from an owner.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We used a SFX Bonus week last year and paid the $75 and we are owners. We expect to do that this year using an II Get-a-way. I have my original confirmation, so the cost will be $75. That includes airport pick-up, WIFI, use of gym and cover charge for Santuario.

If you are an owner using your week -not an exchange or Extra Vacation or Bonus week - you are not charged for these extra fees.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Lingber - When I have booked several units and family was going with us at the same time, we did not get the Guest Certs. All the units were in our name but they let the actual occupants put their own credit card on file for charges to the room.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the Grand Bliss, my confirmation said a $75 resort fee. At check in, they told us the $75 fee was for one-way transportation from the airport and internet, but it will be waived if you attend the welcome breakfast. Then they introduce you to a person that gives you the resort booklet with a map, who tries to pin you down for an appointment for the breakfast and says it is just to help you show to make your existing timeshare work for you better, not a timeshare pitch, and how to avoid yearly maintenance fees. I declined from his very insistent efforts to sign me up, and the $75 fee was on our bill, along with some extra charges related to bottled water, coffee, and donations to some charity, which they removed at checkout upon request.

I suspect the daily fee will be waived as well and it is just a method of getting exchangers to attend the sales presentation.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just got back from the Grand Bliss, my confirmation said a $75 resort fee. At check in, they told us the $75 fee was for one-way transportation from the airport and internet, but it will be waived if you attend the welcome breakfast. Then they introduce you to a person that gives you the resort booklet with a map, who tries to pin you down for an appointment for the breakfast and says it is just to help you show to make your existing timeshare work for you better, not a timeshare pitch, and how to avoid yearly maintenance fees. I declined from his very insistent efforts to sign me up, and the $75 fee was on our bill, along with some extra charges related to bottled water, coffee, and donations to some charity, which they removed at checkout upon request.

I suspect the daily fee will be waived as well and it is just a method of getting exchangers to attend the sales presentation.
Or perhaps they will waive a portion of it? The new fee works out to $154 for two adults for seven nights. Perhaps they just upped the fee to entice more people to take the "breakfast" aka timeshare presentation? Perhaps enough people weren't swayed by the $75 but more would go for a $154 savings? I know we wouldn't endure it for $75, but $154 could be more tempting.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Is Quintana Roo's hotel tax part of your Riviera Maya Vidanta fees...or is it another fee?
And another 'tax' or sorts...if you stay a Grand Luxxe at Riviera Maya, you are most unlikely to get an upper floor (above the jungle canopy) if you are not an owner.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is Quintana Roo's hotel tax part of your Riviera Maya Vidanta fees...or is it another fee?
And another 'tax' or sorts...if you stay a Grand Luxxe at Riviera Maya, you are most unlikely to get an upper floor (above the jungle canopy) if you are not an owner.
I believe it is an occupancy tax, so it is paid by the occupant and not the owner. At least that is how it is at the Westin Lagunamar. Paid at checkout.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The occupancy tax is on top of the Vidanta Fee. The tax go to the Mexican government an the Vidanta fee (the old $75 per week or the new $11 per person per day) go to Vidanta pocket.

rpennisi

Reaction score
The occupancy tax is a whole lot less than the $11 Vidanta charge per day per person, or than the old $75 Vidanta charge. The newer higher Vidanta charges are just another way for them to discourage traders who will not either buy their product or attend their sales presentation ("update"). It's a new way to make money for them. Much like their escalating ownership transfer fees of the past dozen years or so discouraged selling by owners. Nobody ever said this company wasn't smart. They adapt to the changing market very well, much to the chagrin of owners and exchangers.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very disappointed with the II " Getaway" sale today. Looking to book a 2 bedroom in the Mayan Palace in Nuevo for Feb 2018.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Very disappointed with the II " Getaway" sale today. Looking to book a 2 bedroom in the Mayan Palace in Nuevo for Feb 2018.
I notice that the discount for the sale only applies to weeks through June or July?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The occupancy tax is a whole lot less than the $11 Vidanta charge per day per person, or than the old $75 Vidanta charge. The newer higher Vidanta charges are just another way for them to discourage traders who will not either buy their product or attend their sales presentation ("update"). It's a new way to make money for them. Much like their escalating ownership transfer fees of the past dozen years or so discouraged selling by owners. Nobody ever said this company wasn't smart. They adapt to the changing market very well, much to the chagrin of owners and exchangers.
I willingly exchange even with the increased costs. It's extremely well worth it...and I still spend way less than GL MF.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I willingly exchange even with the increased costs. It's extremely well worth it...and I still spend way less than GL MF.

I totally agree. I have two GL's reserved, for this year (RM) and next year (NV). My point is the way Vidanta squeezes extra bucks from exchangers while they still get the high GL MF's from the owners of GL.

If the GL owner goes, Vidanta gets the MF.
If the GL owner deposits, Vidanta still gets the MF and more $ from the exchanger than they did in the past. Like I wrote above, when they incrementally increased transfer fees until it slowed the resale market way down.

Now with trades, they are doing the same thing. First no extra fee to trade, then $75 for everyone for the week, now $11 a day per person over 12 years of age!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The Vidanta per person per day exchange/ visitor fee (with RCI exchanges) is less at some of the other properties .

Acapulco & MP PV - Marina - $ 7

Last I looked on RCI - Mazatlan & Cabo listed specifics - parking , gym etc - but no $ fee pp/pd .

Obviously GL & GB are $!! since they are (currently) only found at NV & RM -
which are also Vidanta's biggest properties with the most amenities & number of suites .

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I follow the Buying, Selling, and Renting forum and have to chuckle whenever I see posts which say, "Mexican timeshares are a dime a dozen on eBay...," or to that effect. Actually, it's really rare to see a Vida resort resale on eBay or anywhere due to the high transfer fees these days. So, yes, they absolutely are controlling their resale market. Exchanges are, however, a relatively a good deal for some folks.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I have two GL's reserved, for this year (RM) and next year (NV).

I have yet to see any exchanges available into Grand Luxxe at RM or NV for 2018 on II. Is Vidanta making Grand Luxxe exchanges available for 2018 through exchange companies other than II?

rpennisi

Reaction score
I have yet to see any exchanges available into Grand Luxxe at RM or NV for 2018 on II. Is Vidanta making Grand Luxxe exchanges available for 2018 through exchange companies other than II?

My exchanges into GL for 2018 (RM) and 2019 (NV) were both made using II.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I follow the Buying, Selling, and Renting forum and have to chuckle whenever I see posts which say, "Mexican timeshares are a dime a dozen on eBay...," or to that effect. Actually, it's really rare to see a Vida resort resale on eBay or anywhere due to the high transfer fees these days. So, yes, they absolutely are controlling their resale market. Exchanges are, however, a relatively a good deal for some folks.
I guess for most of the owners, since they have a "no stay no MF" provision, there is no real need to sell. They aren't stuck in a cycle of lifelong MFs. They have already lost 100% of their upfront purchase price. Are there ever any resales on the private market outside of EBay? I suspect for the most part, people don't even want or need to buy resale since it seems that exchanges are so plentiful.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I would think that most of the longer held owners do not have the "no stay, no MF" in their contracts with Vidanta. That seems to be a more recent addition to many of the newer contracts especially when Vidanta started with GB and GL. Phyllis would be able to add to that, she is the Vidanta historian in my mind.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I guess for most of the owners, since they have a "no stay no MF" provision, there is no real need to sell. They aren't stuck in a cycle of lifelong MFs. They have already lost 100% of their upfront purchase price. Are there ever any resales on the private market outside of EBay? I suspect for the most part, people don't even want or need to buy resale since it seems that exchanges are so plentiful.

You may find the occasional Mayan Palace on Craigs list etc . I have only spotted a couple on ebay in the last year- and those listings were a prices no one would pay.

The contracts before 2002 (approx) have the one MF transfer fee and the 3% inflation cap on MF .
The MF for a MP 2 bedroom would be less than $ 700 .

Those contracts have less than 10 years left ( until the 25 year / 5 x MF renewal fee )

If you find one it could be worth buying if you are a snowbird looking to stay in Puerto Vallarta etc for 6 + weeks (Jan - April season )

The no go / no pay contracts started approx fall 2005 . This is also approx . when the transfer fees went to 5 x MF