• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guest Certificate reservations with same name

grukidsmom

Reaction score
I "purchased" a 2 night rental from an owner of eBay and ended up cancelling and getting a refund because I found another option for 5nights and not much more money. A Guest Certificate was issued in mine and my husband's name for 2 night rental and the owner hasn't cancelled it yet with the resort. If I have the other owner put a guest certificate in our names as well, what will happen? Is there the possibility that it would get cancelled? The 5 day reservation starts 3 days earlier. As I said, the first owner already refunded my money, but he's no longer communicating with me about cancelling the reservation and I'm not sure why. I'm trying to figure out how to get the other reservation in our names without danger of it being cancelled. Any help would be appreciated!!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think your concerns are an issue. You are free to have just one or five or more reservations. I have more than one concurrent reservation more often than just one. It's not uncommon. Theoretically you could "check-in" every single unit at a given resort for any given week.

Fwiw it's not abnormal for an owner to issue a refund but wait until they have a new renter to replace the name. Otherwise they have to make an extra phone call.

grukidsmom

Reaction score
Thank you! So if we put the other reservation in our names, is there any danger of the wrong one being cancelled? Does he cancel it by telling our names or by the confirmation number or...?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! So if we put the other reservation in our names, is there any danger of the wrong one being cancelled? Does he cancel it by telling our names or by the confirmation number or...?

What system is this? I wasn't clear on your concern because I didn't think he would be canceling the reservation. I was assuming he would be looking for a new renter and then replace the names.

grukidsmom

Reaction score
Yes I believe you're correct since he's relisted the auction on eBay, but if no one buys it, doesn't have need to cancel the reservation in my name so he can get his points back? If that's the case, I'm just wondering what they look up when he does the cancellation. Is it the name or a number or both? My concern is that the other one could possible get cancelled accidentally. I'm not sure what you mean by which system. This is for the Wyndham Smokies Lodge.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every system is different so this is a Wyndham points specific question. Someone with Wyndham experience should chime in but since he didn't cancel the reservation he probably isn't going to.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will not be cancelled. Best example would be what if two people with the same name had reservations at the resort for the same time. I wonder if anyone has even been checked into the wrong room because of this.

Some resorts may let you check into more then 1 unit while others will not.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some resorts may let you check into more then 1 unit while others will not.

You could reserve more than one room but not be able to check in? I've never heard of that. With Interval only the person on the certificates is supposed to check in. If there is a resort that has this practice it is not a place I would ever want to stay at.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could reserve more than one room but not be able to check in? I've never heard of that. With Interval only the person on the certificates is supposed to check in. If there is a resort that has this practice it is not a place I would ever want to stay at.

Why?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The big concern is that Wyndham will cancel one or both of the reservations when it gets within 15 days of the check in date if you have more than one unit reserved with overlapping dates. However you can have one reservation in your name and another in your husband's name if the first owner didn't put both first names on his/her reservation.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would not want to stay at a resort or hotel that preventing checking into more than one room. I many times have more than one reservation in my name at the same resort for the same week. Why can't I if that's what I own or I exchanged through II?

There have been way to many reports of Wyndham canceling legitimate reservation.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big concern is that Wyndham will cancel one or both of the reservations when it gets within 15 days of the check in date if you have more than one unit reserved with overlapping dates.
Assuming the OP is renting from two different owners, this isn't a problem. It's only if two different reservations in the same account have the same name.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Assuming the OP is renting from two different owners, this isn't a problem. It's only if two different reservations in the same account have the same name.

I just called to double check and the VC told me that yes if there is more than one reservation at the same resort in the same guest name for any of the same dates, even though the reservations are under different owners, the resort will cancel them.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would not want to stay at a resort or hotel that preventing checking into more than one room. I many times have more than one reservation in my name at the same resort for the same week. Why can't I if that's what I own or I exchanged through II?

There have been way to many reports of Wyndham canceling legitimate reservation.
For Wyndham this is specifically a money issue. They have decided that 1 person can not stay in two units, therefore if someone is booking more than one unit they need to pay a guest cert which costs $100 if you have no free allottment available. They have gone so far as to do this if you have 2 resorts or 2 units at the same resort booked and the reservations overlap even by just one day. If you have multiple people on your account and that person will be there at check in you can put the reservation in that persons name as long as no duplicates for the same night within 15 days of check in or Wyndham can cancel on of the reservations. This hits renters slightly harder because one might have multiple units not rented out until the week before or so. The owner can't keep the multiple reservations in his own name until a renter is found because if it is cancelled within that 14 days window points are forfeited. It also means Wyndham makes another $100 for every rental that an owner does. In some cases a single reservation for multiple days may require 2 or more separate bookings and even though they are in the same room type for consecutive days and in all likelihood the guests won't have to move it will require 2 or more guest certificates at $100 (or $119 if an owner has to call to set up the Guest Cert) each.

The cancellations are a manual process and not done by a computer. There probably is a report that can be generated at corporate or resort level. During busy times to release inventory multiple RCI reservations at Wyndham resorts in the same name and or one rci and one Wyndham direct res in the same name or 2 wyndham reservations in different accounts with the same name can be cancelled.

To the OP it won't help if the original ebayer on this one is no longer communicating but put any subsequent reservations in different names. Use your first and middle name as your first name or put the second one in the name of another adult (like spouse or adult child) if you have one with you.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just called to double check and the VC told me that yes if there is more than one reservation at the same resort in the same guest name for any of the same dates, even though the reservations are under different owners, the resort will cancel them.
The VC is almost certainly wrong. What happens if there are two (different) John Smiths staying there that week?

(Note that this is not the first time a VC would be wrong about something.)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The VC is almost certainly wrong. What happens if there are two (different) John Smiths staying there that week?

(Note that this is not the first time a VC would be wrong about something.)

Cindy reported having a reservation cancelled when one was a RCI reservation and one Wyndham. I think hers was a case where maintenance or other overbooked situation occurred and they wanted to clear space. You know Wyndhams motto- cancel first and try to fix it if it was a mistake later, especially if they need the unit. Are addresses or other indicators put on the guest cert?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy reported having a reservation cancelled when one was a RCI reservation and one Wyndham.
If it was her Wyndham RCI account, that might have been traceable back to "the same account."

I don't use guest certs, so I don't know if addresses are used, but if so, the OP only has to use a work address rather than home to avoid issues.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree Wyndham's main concern is collecting the 2 guest cert fees and if that has been done than the likelihood of cancellation is small. I don't know how they run their reports and if an overzealous employee might see reservations with the same name and cancel without looking any further. I can see where it could be a concern and although unlikely still possible when you consider all the problems and errors Wyndham has been dealing with. In terms of the work address I don't know if an address is required if it would need to match the ID used at check in. It won't help the OP for this one where the 2 identical Guest certs are already issued any more than adding in a middle name or putting the second one in her spouse's name. Just things to consider.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Standards and how they are enforced seem to sometimes vary from resort to resort. For instance, at least in the past, Wyndham Glacier Canyon was very strict that the name and address on the driver's license/ID must match their information from what is entered on the guest certificate. Bonnet Creek absolutely will cancel duplicate or overlapping reservations and the VC mentioned them specifically.

If you look on eBay you will notice that some sellers have a notice in their listings about not having more than one reservation in the same person's name and that the buyer will have to pay an additional $99 to change the name one of the reservations so their reservations won't be cancelled. Check out Lise Bohm's listings. She is a mega seller and certainly wouldn't have that notice in her listings if this didn't happen.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What? My brother's wife has the exact same name a I ... first name, middle name and last name. Full name ... identical spelling. If I reserve 2 weeks at the same resort ... family reunion .... my membership and her identical name as the inbound guest ... you really think Wyndham will realize the different addresses?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
What? My brother's wife has the exact same name a I ... first name, middle name and last name. Full name ... identical spelling. If I reserve 2 weeks at the same resort ... family reunion .... my membership and her identical name as the inbound guest ... you really think Wyndham will realize the different addresses?

I would put someone else's name on the other reservation rather than risk a screw up. If that isn't an option then I would call both a VC and the resort manager and explain the situation to both and ask what they suggest before I added a guest certificate. I would also make a note of the date and time you spoke to both and get their names and ask them to send you an email to confirm whatever they tell you.

I've heard from others and read on TUG too many sad tales of things gone wrong concerning reservations to take anything for granted anymore.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two New Years ago at Skyline Tower I rented a room and as it turns out the same person rented a room from another owner. Both rooms were in their name. I had no idea until the New Years Eve when the guest tried to check in and could not. The guest would have no idea they could not check in to two units, I had not idea they booked another unit through someone else and not sure what the other owner did or did not know.

It took awhile but they were eventually able to check in. I posted about it here after it happened.

Same resort this summer would not let me check in to two rooms at the same time. I just wanted to get the keys and the rooms set up and additional names added so I would not have to wait around for others to get access to their room.