• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head - is there enough to do for 2 weeks?

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Trying to think about what we might want to do in 2018. I know there are a number of Marriott resorts in HH. We have never visited the area. It would mean a cross country flight for us, and I know my wife likes a longer stay if we fly any significant distance. And she likes back to back weeks, which does make trading more challenging. So, some questions :

1. Would there be enough for us to do in HH if we were to aim for a 2 week stay?
2. If not, if you spent 1 week in HH, where might you go for week 2 that would not be terribly far away (within driving distance, let's say)?
3. What things do people enjoy doing in the HH area?

Thanks.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. It depends on what you like to do. If you like resort pools, resort activities, beaches, bike riding, shopping, and eating out, then you could stay on HHI indefinitely. If you like "Disney" type of stuff then it could get boring fast.
2. Whether 1 week or 2 take a day trip to Savannah. Myrtle Beach is a decent option for a second week and it is a different cup of tea vs HHI.
3. Bike riding, eating out, beach, boat tours, Savannah.

Depends on what months you are planning to go it can be really easy to exchange or getaway two straight weeks. If the plan is mid-summer then it might be impossible without an owner rental for the additional week.

If you like jazz and good food then check out the Jazz Corner but plan to make reservations well in advance.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What time of the year are you thinking about going? Are you the type who likes to plan activities every day? We typically go for a week, plan one full day outing- for example Savanah and then maybe 2 or 3 part day excursions- like a dolphin cruise in Harbour Towne or a Kayaking trip near Pickney Island. The rest of the days would be spent enjoying the resort, biking, walking on the beach, driving to one of the other plantation areas and having lunch, etc. There certainly is enough for 2 different full day trips and 4-6 activities during a 2 week trip.

If you are from Southern California, I would not recommend going in the Summer. The heat and humidity can be stifling. It isn't too bad when you are on the ocean but as soon as you get off the ocean - even at the pool it can be bad.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Not enough info to answer that.

Totally depends on who is going and what they like to do. Might be different for you and wife alone vs with kids.
Most families are there to enjoy a laid-back atmosphere where beach and pools are the predominant daily activities. There are other activities, but mostly those. You'll have biking, tennis, golf, dining, and shopping, etc.

You can google "things to do in Hilton Head" and get more information than here on TUG, since it shows businesses that cater to tours, excursions, places of interest, etc., etc. Day trips to Savannah and/or Charleston would take a little time, too.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
We would usually travel in spring, April or May. We'll spend a few days at a resort to relax and then fill other days with activities typically.

No kids.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
April can still be chilly for the beach, certainly the water and pools. But, May is usually excellent weather. For 2 weeks, here are some ideas: day trip to Savannah (1 hour drive). longer day trip to Charleston--3 hr drive. golf, tennis, beach. biking. there are miles of trails and it's all flat. you can also ride on the beach. if you did beach, golf, pool-relax, beach, daytrip, repeat, you could fill up 2 weeks. To us, HHI is the perfect 1 week spot. you are also not far from FL and May is great weather for FL. It's a 5 hour drive to Orlando/WDW area, where there's lots to do outside of the theme parks, with a number of very nice Marriotts. May is before many school get out and before summer peak, so should be an easy trade.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely. We always used to stay two weeks and now we stay as long as possible. Some days we do something. Some just sit around the pool. Always enjoy bike paths.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
April is too early for the ocean. Heated pools are needed. Golfing would be decent.

I would go further SOUTH for the beach .... find me in Ft Lauderdale.

PS I live near Atlantic City, NJ ... ocean always seems cold to me.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
HHI is great. Laid back, but still plenty of activities especially if visiting for the first time. The weather in either April or May is great for beach walks, tennis, biking (Sea Pines has great trails!), golf, boating, lighthouse, etc. HHI also has a wide variety of shops and great restaurants. Savannah is also a great city worth visiting for a day and not far from HHI.

The ocean water and/or pools could be a little cool in April in HHI. If you want to sunbathe, I would also vote going further South (to Florida). Weather could be warm (80s) in April in HHI, but not guaranteed. Hit or miss. If pool/ocean/sunbathing, May would be warmer month and a better choice.

Either way, it's a great island!

Enjoy!

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
HHI is great. Laid back, but still plenty of activities especially if visiting for the first time. The weather in either April or May is great for beach walks, tennis, biking (Sea Pines has great trails!), golf, boating, lighthouse, etc. HHI also has a wide variety of shops and great restaurants. Savannah is also a great city worth visiting for a day and not far from HHI.

The ocean water and/or pools could be a little cool in April in HHI. If you want to sunbathe, I would also vote going further South (to Florida). Weather could be warm (80s) in April in HHI, but not guaranteed. Hit or miss. If pool/ocean/sunbathing, May would be warmer month and a better choice.

Either way, it's a great island!

Enjoy!
Go to islandgazette.com website to check for each week activities, such as the children's sing alongs each Friday night in the summer, and the Tuesday night fireworks that you can see from Harbour/Sunset Pointe units and from Shelter Cove. Patrick

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We go every year for 2 weeks in August. Hot, hot, hot but we don't mind it. We love the biking, walking, kayaking, swimming and the beach, the tennis, the Tuesday night fireworks, the golf, the shopping and of course the great food options. Plenty to do for 2 weeks unless you don't like most or some of these activities.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Go to islandgazette.com website to check for each week activities, such as the children's sing alongs each Friday night in the summer, and the Tuesday night fireworks that you can see from Harbour/Sunset Pointe units and from Shelter Cove. Patrick

For Hilton Head, I think you mean -- http://www.islandpacket.com -- instead of islandgazette.com which appears to be from Carolina Beach/Kure Beach, NC

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were from the West Coast and spending two weeks on HHI, then I would plan an overnight visit to Charleston and at least a full day visit to Savannah. I might also plan a visit to Sapelo Island.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Hilton Head, I think you mean -- http://www.islandpacket.com -- instead of islandgazette.com which appears to be from Carolina Beach/Kure Beach, NC
You are correct - I do mean islandpacket.com

Summer Jams
  • Tue, Jun 13, 2017 4:30pm
    Tue, Aug 15, 2017 9:30pm
  • Shelter Cove Park 39 Shelter Cove Lane Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928 United States

Summer Jams, 7-9pm
The Island Recreation Association is proud to bring you a fun-filled, festive atmosphere with the highlight of the night fireworks which start around 9 pm. Kids of all ages can enjoy inflatable bounce houses and face painting for a minimal fee. Bring your lawn chairs and enjoy the fireworks!

Patrick

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Check out the 101 Things To Do ... website in advance of stays, and then when you get there pick up one of the magazines for current listings. They're available all over the island including from the front-desk/concierge when you check in.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Definitely a full day trip to Charleston. About 1 3/4 hours from HHI. So the next day you would want to rest. Savannah is a one day maybe another depending on what you like to do. Daufuskie Island is a very interesting trip. Only access is by boat. Plan on going when the restaurant is open. There was 2 not sure how many now. Walking the beach is great and beautiful. Come visit a lot of Tuggers in Sun City of Hilton Head!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said, it depends on what you find as a satisfactory vacation day.

I'm sitting inside out unit looking directly out to the ocean. The sunshine has been altering with marine layers. The porch door is wide open with the sounds of the waves coming right into the room. It's the last morning of our 2nd week.

Our weeks were not together. The first week was at the end of February. Friends from MI joined us for the first week. They are significantly younger than us. We introduced them to the Island with a bike ride to South Beach and Harbor Town. Then we set them loose to explore. They made good use of the bike rental. Once they got here they didn't want to lose any of their Island time to trips to Savannah or Charleston. It was their first time to the Island and now they spend time dreaming of a return. In February our temps ranged from 60's to 70's. Perfect biking weather. The 2 heated pools and hot tubs were sufficient.

We had a 3 week break between the 2 HHI weeks. During this we drove down to Ocean Pointe. The weather was mid-70's to 80's. On the return we veered off 95 for a oceanside dinner in Flagler Beach. We got off on the Old Dixie exit. Great scenery on High Bridge Road getting to A1A. It's on A1A gives you a real feel for old Florida. Returning to 95 was easy with using the Moody Blvd. exit.

We also have the Hyatt Visa (which gives us Discoverist status) and stayed 1 night at the Riverfront Hyatt in Jacksonville. Great upgraded room with sliding door opening on the riverfront.

This week is a lively Spring Break. The resort is full of families. The weather was perfect, high 70's. It's enjoyable watching the families have a break from their routines. We spent several days on bikes with alternating days enjoying the deck by the dunes.

On these 2 weeks we didn't get over to Palmetto Bluffs but I would encourage you to call Capt. Chris of May River Excursions and have him give you a boat ride from the Bluffton dock to Palmetto Bluffs. http://www.mayriverexcursions.com/home.php; https://www.palmettobluff.com/live.aspx Eat lunch at Buffalos. Walk the town. If you do this on a Thursday you can combine it with a visit to Bluffton's farmer's market. http://www.farmersmarketbluffton.org

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We went for two weeks one Christmas and got a little bored. I would probably either go up the coast to the Northeast or the Cape and the Islands. Or south to a couple of interesting places in Florida.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We spent the first week of April on HHI this year with DD and DS (13 and 14 respectively). We have stayed at Barony Beach, Grande Ocean, Monarch, and most recently Surfwatch. All are excellent and unique in their own way. We go regularly to HHI for Spring Break. Even without kids, I would say there is plenty to explore and do for a week, but if you are really activity oriented (and don't want to just relax in a lounger for your 2nd week or repeat prior activities), I would endorse the idea of trying a 2nd Marriott resort for your 2nd week, on HHI or in Myrtle Beach.

A day trip to Savannah during a week on HHI is a fine idea. After a week exploring HHI, you could then day trip up the coast through Charleston, SC (and spend a night even if you were so inclined) before ending up in Myrtle Beach, SC. The Marriott Oceanwatch Resort in MB is another regular favorite of our family (usually the week after Christmas). Myrtle Beach has plenty of activities to experience, shows, restaurants, amusements, and is overall more commercially developed. It also has a decent commercial airport (unlike HHI) where you likely fly into Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA; or Jacksonville, FL. As far as rental cars, you could either arrange a 'one-way' rental where you return the car at the airport you depart from or arrive via central airport (like Charleston) and make a loop South through HHI, North through Myrtle Beach, and back to Charleston again for departure.

By the end of your trip, you can experience both the relaxed atmosphere of HHI as well as the lights and action of Myrtle Beach. There really is a contrast between them, and both are potentially enjoyable.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We own two weeks at Swallowtail in Sea Pines. I always loved having the two weeks back to back. I felt like we were at our summer home, not just a vacation. Two weeks gives us time to settle in and relax. We don't have to cram everything in. We can spend some days at the beach, bike riding, and being lazy. There is also time for a day trip to Savannah or Charleston.

I miss those vacations now! Our kids are grown and we travel with our dogs so don't use the timeshare nearly as much. :(

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
We own two weeks at Swallowtail in Sea Pines. :(

If you do not mind me asking. A long time ago we stayed at Swallowtail. If I remember, it use to be a Marriott property. What happened?

skyequeen

Reaction score
We spend several weeks a year in Hilton Head in winter. In the summer we have gone to Myrtle Beach instead which had more flashy activities for the kids when they were teens and softer sand. If you play golf and tennis and like Southern charm and would like to ride bikes on the beach for miles, you cannot do better than HHI. Charleston has been rated the best city in the U.S. Maybe 2 hours away. It has an old market blocks long, lots of colonial homes to tour, plantations and a fort nearby. We stay there sometimes before staying on HHI. Check out the Spoleto Festival held every May - one of the world's best arts and performance festivals. Spectacular and a wonderful time to visit with day and night activities indoors and out for weeks. It includes Piccolo Spoleto with less expensive events like concerts held in churches and crafts shows. Beaufort (site of the Big Chill movie) is maybe a half hour away but a quiet place. Savannah a half hour or so and a lovely city to walk around with several restored old mansions and lovely "squares," and a river walk. We really like the vibe. Even Bluffton, the closest mainland community to HH has a little arts district and a tiny old house to visit, plus the Oyster Factory - very "low country" - and some nice stores and restaurants. It could be a great trip.