• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I recieved a RCI unit upgrade

Would you have accepted this upgrade?

• YES

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just recieved a unit upgrade from RCI for my upcoming trip to Aruba. Upgraded from a 1 bedroom ambassador suite at Casa del Mar to a 1 bedroom at DIVI Phoenix Beach resort. Cost me $49 to upgrade.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Good for you!

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just recieved a unit upgrade from RCI for my upcoming trip to Aruba. Upgraded from a 1 bedroom ambassador suite at Casa del Mar to a 1 bedroom at DIVI Phoenix Beach resort. Cost me $49 to upgrade.
DIVI Phoenix Beach is great and our favorite resort in Caribbean. See my comments in Review section.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I wasn't aware RCI could put you into a different resort for the upgrade. I am contemplating requesting an upgrade for our fall vacation but I don't want to be sent to a different resort.

Can I turn down the upgrade if a resort change is part of it? Will I get a refund?

~Diane

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can select only an upgrade at the resort you are booked currently or you can select up to 6 additional resorts where you would prefer at at least the same size that you are currently booked.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Great upgrade!
CDM one bedrooms are in a parking lot across the street from the main resort.
DIvi Phoenix one bedrooms (original section) will have a beautiful ocean view. Units start in the tower in the fourth floor.....anything above 5 will be great!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
FYI, For exchanges thru RCI, when you look on the confirmation there is an upgrade notice on the page. It will be in the last 14 days prior to your exchange, you only pay upgrade fee if they find you a better, bigger place or at a resort nearby. I haven't done this, but it's nice to have the option. Enjoy your upgrade in Aruba.
Silentg

Theousaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Divi Phoenix is my favorite. Me own four in Feb and March. Have fun.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is $49 the upgrade fee or does it vary?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Is $49 the upgrade fee or does it vary?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wondered how the platinum upgrade worked, if it cost more TPUs or a fee? There was no mention when I filled out the form. Some of them I'd just assume stay instead of pay $49. I was under the impression they automatically switched you, but you had a choice to accept?

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think there was an 'upgrade free' when being upgraded by Platinum. My understanding was it was complimentary, or a benefit of the Platinum level.

randkb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think there was an 'upgrade free' when being upgraded by Platinum. My understanding was it was complimentary, or a benefit of the Platinum level.
As a Platinum Member, we have received several upgrades over the past few years and all cost nothing, either in terms of money or TPUs.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow ...... I'm a platinum member and have requested upgrades numerous times. NEVER GOT ONE YET!:bawl:

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid nothing for an upgrade in my Platinum points account. I had a problem though with printing out the confirmation. Even though everything showed the correct info for the upgraded resort online, when I tried to print out the confirmation it printed out the original resort info. I called RCI and after a long time on hold the VC assured me he had corrected it - nope, still printed out the wrong info. He then said not to worry, he would fax a confirmation to the resort. I called the resort, and was told they had not received a fax but did have my confirmation in the system. It was so far my only upgrade, so I don't know if it's a common problem or a one-time glitch. Just be sure to get your confirmations printed out properly a little bit ahead of time and don't wait until ten minutes before you get in the car lol.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I paid nothing for an upgrade in my Platinum points account. I had a problem though with printing out the confirmation. Even though everything showed the correct info for the upgraded resort online, when I tried to print out the confirmation it printed out the original resort info. I called RCI and after a long time on hold the VC assured me he had corrected it - nope, still printed out the wrong info. He then said not to worry, he would fax a confirmation to the resort. I called the resort, and was told they had not received a fax but did have my confirmation in the system. It was so far my only upgrade, so I don't know if it's a common problem or a one-time glitch. Just be sure to get your confirmations printed out properly a little bit ahead of time and don't wait until ten minutes before you get in the car lol.
The same happened to me a few months ago, after upgrade updated confirmation did not show to print. They never got it to work for me.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
The same happened to me a few months ago, after upgrade updated confirmation did not show to print. They never got it to work for me.
Did the resort honor the upgrade without the printed confirmation?

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score

Mine did - but I had called ahead to verify the reservation. I also had the confirmation # and RCI's phone # handy just in case, but they just checked me in and never asked to see a paper confirmation.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The email I received showed the upgrade, online showed the upgrade but the confirmation to print showed the old week. I called the resort to verify and had no problem.

Luckytimer

Reaction score
We are RCI Platinum and I always choose the upgrade but it's FREE. I have never been upgraded but that is the PERK to being RCI Platinum.