• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sedona area things to do and Grand Canyon

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning our Sedona trip for next month. We are staying at Hyatt PP.

On the to-do list already:
* Town sponsored kids event and trolley tour
* Jeep tour
* Day trip to Camp Verde Valley - wildlife park.
* Day trip to Flagstaff - explore area and treetop obstacle course

Need help with Grand Canyon: Complete honesty here....it isn't high on my to-do list, but I feel since we are close we really should. I was hoping to find a helicopter tour out of Sedona, but no luck. Can find group "van" tours and of course we could drive ourselves. Any suggestions?

Up for consideration is train ride, horseback riding and star gazing tour.

We are family of 3 that are active with 11 YO child.

Other things I'm thinking about:
* Any grocery delivery service in area? I have tried to google, called resort and nothing.
* We are flying in/out of PHX....would it be worth it to leave Sedona a day early (or arrive a day later) to see stay in another part of AZ for a night?

Any insight, suggestions or just your two cents welcome!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If you have a car you can just drive to the Grand Canyon. There is a very nice short hike right along the rim that you can take that outlines the geologic history of the canyon. Won't take long and it will probably fit in nicely to your kid's science knowledge. It's very pretty along the way and you're likely to see some wildlife too.

As far as groceries in Sedona our experience was that there's really only a couple grocery stores and I doubt they deliver groceries. But you can easily find the stores and pick up your items on your way to the resort.

You may want to search these forums to see photos of Sedona. The place is gorgeous.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

* Jeep tour

Need help with Grand Canyon: Complete honesty here....it isn't high on my to-do list, but I feel since we are close we really should. I was hoping to find a helicopter tour out of Sedona, but no luck. Can find group "van" tours and of course we could drive ourselves. Any suggestions?

* Any grocery delivery service in area? I have tried to google, called resort and nothing.
* We are flying in/out of PHX....would it be worth it to leave Sedona a day early (or arrive a day later) to see stay in another part of AZ for a night?

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be there in May. It's one of my daughter's favorite places, but I haven't spent time there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There is a copper mining museum in Jerome, nice to visit for a day trip.

Safeway and Bashas are groceries close to PP.

Visit the Hike House to get recommendations and maps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't see Native American ruins on your list. You might consider http://www.arizona-leisure.com/palatki-indian-ruins.html, Honanki Heritage Site, Tuzigoot National Monument, and Montezuma Castle are also impressive. Walnut Canyon National Monument is also within "stricking distance."
Monument Valley is spectacular and not a long drive from Sedona.
Antelope Canyon is the one you see in photo shots all the time with a wide opening at the bottom and the top mostly closed with sunlight filtering through the top and making amazing color.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

* Jeep tour

I really think you should go to the Grand Canyon. Just drive up- I think it is about 2 hours. You will not regret it. It would be great if you can get there as soon as it opens before it gets crowded and just hop on the bus to the lookout points. Have lunch there, then head back.

I recall there was a decent supermarket in Sedona and we only went once and stocked up on the groceries.

My husband and son did an ATV tour, but the Pink Jeep tours are very popular. We hiked the red rock area and Oak Creek Canyon- early- as it gets hot.

See Montezuma Castle ruins. Very interesting. Take a run to Flagstaff- we did a whole day - the crater there and then to Petrified Forest National park- which I loved- with the Blue Mesas and the Painted Desert. There is also the observatory in Flagstaff.

Plenty to see and do in a week- though there is a bit of driving. But fun to explore.

PS - I think PStreet1 is incorrect about Monument Valley being close to Sedona. I believe it is like 3.5 hours one way. Antelope Canyon- pretty much the same. Also-long car ride might be hard on the 11 year old.

I really had wished we could have seen it when there, but we decided it was too far to drive. We cap our explorations at 2- 2.5 hours out from home base when on vacation.But- hey- everyone is different. We do a lot of driving day to day because of work, and we live in a rural area, so we are used to it, but at the same time when on vacation we don't like to push it. For us-it's nice to not have to be driving too much for a change.

But I think we will try to see it on another trip someday- maybe on a tour of the Utah National Parks, as it is usually included in those tour packages.

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's about right on the drive to Monument Valley: 3 to 3 1/2 hours, then the time to drive through it and come back. But it is truly spectacular and worth the drive, I think. The Palatki ruins (see link) are a UNESCO World Heritage site and particularly impressive, to me, because they are mostly un-reconstructed. Some of the others have been reconstructed almost enough to meet code today. This link gives a brief overview: http://www.arizonaruins.com/
http://www.dreamsedona.com/montezuma-castle.html
http://www.dreamsedona.com/palatki-ruins.html
https://www.nps.gov/tuzi/index.htm

If it were me, I'd pick one ruin site and do a really good job of seeing it rather than try going to several. The area is known for gorgeous red rocks, of course, but too many red rock sites can kind of blur together, too--Monument Valley is the most spectacular for scenery on a grand scale. As Mary Ann points out, Petrified Forest is different from the other areas and interesting (it's about 2 1/2 hours from Sedona). https://www.nps.gov/pefo/index.htm In my opinion, tours are a waste of time and money for these sites: they are easy to do yourself and information about the sites is readily available at the entrance or book store.

The National Parks have a Junior Park Ranger program (booklet, stamps) which might interest your 11 year old. https://www.nps.gov/kids/jrRangers.cfm
http://www.takethatexit.com/junior-ranger-badges-parks-systems/ Some of the activities are for younger kids, but some will probably be just right.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Expect you have it on your list, but don't forget a day of visiting and/or hiking the various red rock formations there in Sedona. Will second the motion for a visit to Jerome as its a neat little town and is easy/quick to get to. We felt the same way about the Grand Canyon - being so close, we had to go (just drove up). Was there in middle of July and was not a good day at the GC - could barely see the other side due to haziness. Staying at HPP, you'll be able to star gaze each night from the pool/common area. The view out over the valley during the day from the pool area is pretty nice. If you're adventurous (and comfortable with driving off road yourself), rent your own jeep for 4+/- hours for the various off road tours in lieu doing the Pink Jeep. AZ has a lot to see/offer, but Sedona is a wonderful place to spend a week, so I wouldn't cut the stay short to visit another location.

epcmart

TUG Member
Reaction score
following

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brings back memories if the wonderful sites in the northern part of Arizona

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you are planning on doing a number of national parks you may want to consider getting a Annual Park pass. A Grand Canyon admission is $30 per Vehicle for a 7 day admission. An annual pass is $80, this cover pass holder and all vehicle occupants at parks where admission is by vehicle, it cover pass holder and 3 guest at parks where admission is per person.

So do a little planning on your NP visits and figure out Fees.

I opted for an annual pass and used it for two trips instead of one.

There are a few FREE entrance days each year, you could also look them up and see if that aligns with your dates.

It is worth doing a little thinking first.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions.....It has been quite interesting researching all of it!

Here is my not so important question of the night. With all the red "dirt" would it be suggested to leave white sneakers at home and opt to bring something darker? I know, a bit of a silly question, but it may just save me from ruining a new pair of sneakers!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you all for your suggestions. We will be in Sedona for a week in mid- November. We have been there on a day trip before, but this trip will enable us to see much more. We definitely want to visit Monument Valley as I remember the shots in many westerns when I was younger. The meteor area sounds interesting too.

Best regards.

Mike

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks all for your suggestions.....It has been quite interesting researching all of it!

Here is my not so important question of the night. With all the red "dirt" would it be suggested to leave white sneakers at home and opt to bring something darker? I know, a bit of a silly question, but it may just save me from ruining a new pair of sneakers!

Answer- yes. I used very comfortable brown hiking shoes- below ankle type.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a naturalist led hike today at Red Rock State Park. They do one at 10:00am daily. They also do a nighttime hike but not every day. Too bad there are none this week. I enjoy hiking from this park.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My wife and I just got back from a trip to Sedona at HPP ten days ago. We loved it. Here are a few comments:

1. If at all possible, try to get a room assignment in Buildings 1-5 on either the 2nd or 3rd floors. You will have by far the best views of the Red Rocks as you look east, and you'll see some amazing sunsets as the setting sun illuminates the formations just before sundown. If you cannot get into these desired locations, absolutely refuse to accept anything in Buildings 6 or 7. They look out on a parking lot and a massive cell phone tower.
  2. By all means, book a Pink Jeep Tour. If you're an owner within the HRC, you can get a 10% discount on the tour--and they're a lot of fun. I recommend the Ancient Ruins Tour, which takes you to Native American ruins from about a thousand years ago with many hieroglyphs to take pictures of.
  3. I agree with others: take the time to go see the Grand Canyon. It's only about a two-hour drive from Sedona, and you'll see some amazing scenery along the way. You will also drive right through Flagstaff, which is already on your list. We left the resort at 7 am and got back around 4 pm, even allowing ourselves about 5 hours to explore the South Rim area and take one of the trail hikes.
  4. You will love visiting the Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village, just a short walk east from Hyatt Pinon Pointe. It's a beautifully designed Italian/Tuscan village concept, filled with small shops, art galleries, restaurants, and even a small chapel that has beautiful stained glass. I highly recommend lunch at the craft brewhouse there, with awesome views of Snoopy Rock from the deck.
  5. Stargazing. The best place, in my opinion, is at the small regional airport about three miles out of town. It's built on a plateau, is nice and dark for stargazing, and you'll see literally millions of stars. Awesome.
  6. No grocery delivery service, but Basha's is just south of HPP and is a gem of a store.
  7. Your drive to PHX is about two hours. No need--unless you have a very early morning flight home--to spend the night in Phoenix.
Have a great time. You're going to love it!

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other possibilities not yet mentioned:
Bearizona - North of Sedona just outside Williams
Out of Africa Wildlife Park - South of Sedona near Camp Verde
Lowell Observatory - Flagstaff (serious star gazing action and cool science)

Ditto others support of visiting our "Big Hole" because 1) BIG, 2) Spectacular 3) That close you need to say you did it when you go back home. Also ditto the nix on the white shoe action unless you want to take them home with the red dust they will collect along the way.

Sedona also sports a Whole Foods in addition to the Bashes and Safeway.

if you really want an amazing adventure hit the east end of The Canyon and spend time down in Havasupai. Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but it does take planning and if hiking, time. It's not normally a one-day adventure but I think you can arrange helicopter transport down inside if one day is all that can be done. For those that have done it, it's a rare adventure and incredibly beautiful place to experience.

IMG_0562.JPG

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Other possibilities not yet mentioned:
Bearizona - North of Sedona just outside Williams
Out of Africa Wildlife Park - South of Sedona near Camp Verde
Lowell Observatory - Flagstaff (serious star gazing action and cool science)

Ditto others support of visiting our "Big Hole" because 1) BIG, 2) Spectacular 3) That close you need to say you did it when you go back home. Also ditto the nix on the white shoe action unless you want to take them home with the red dust they will collect along the way.

Sedona also sports a Whole Foods in addition to the Bashes and Safeway.

if you really want an amazing adventure hit the east end of The Canyon and spend time down in Havasupai. Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but it does take planning and if hiking, time. It's not normally a one-day adventure but I think you can arrange helicopter transport down inside if one day is all that can be done. For those that have done it, it's a rare adventure and incredibly beautiful place to experience.

View attachment 3547

Thanks, BellaWyn! I've just added a bucket list item for my next visit to Sedona. Sounds like a lot of fun.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
We have owned at pinion pointe for yrs. All the previous suggestions are great, some involve some real driving, but can be done. You should go to Trip Advisor and check out the threads there. Lots of info, the one resounding tip is, "DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT". This is well founded in that there are large animals that roam at night, and you haven't experienced dark until you have been in the high desert. Another thing to consider is, that 89A the shortest way and most spectacular drive through oak creek canyon is closed at night at the switch backs going up to Flagstaff until this fall. There will be construction closing the road to one lane during the day. Coming back to Sedona from points north at night you would have to back track on I17 to 179 to go back to Sedona. This would add about 1.5 to 2.5 hrs. driving time, from the junction of I40 and I17.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned at pinion pointe for yrs. All the previous suggestions are great, some involve some real driving, but can be done. You should go to Trip Advisor and check out the threads there. Lots of info, the one resounding tip is, "DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT". This is well founded in that there are large animals that roam at night, and you haven't experienced dark until you have been in the high desert. Another thing to consider is, that 89A the shortest way and most spectacular drive through oak creek canyon is closed at night at the switch backs going up to Flagstaff until this fall. There will be construction closing the road to one lane during the day. Coming back to Sedona from points north at night you would have to back track on I17 to 179 to go back to Sedona. This would add about 1.5 to 2.5 hrs. driving time, from the junction of I40 and I17.
This is really great advice and not to be ignored. As one that lives in the high desert, driving at night in unfamiliar territory is very imprudent. Plan your days to arrive back to your home base by dusk at the latest. It actually gives time to pause and enjoy the truly spectacular sunsets that show up here on a regular basis.

pearl6911

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a copper mining museum in Jerome, nice to visit for a day trip.

Safeway and Bashas are groceries close to PP.

Visit the Hike House to get recommendations and maps.

Also there is Whole Foods on Rte 89A that is only a few blocks east (?) of Safeway and Bashas.

chemeken

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Hyatt PP in mid-March. Drove to Petrified Forest/Painted Desert via 89a and I40 east. Recommend staying off 89A (road connecting Sedona & Flagstaff) during the construction. As previous writer noted, the 28 mile drive takes 45 minutes on a good day with all the hairpin turns, but the construction project is really slowing things. Down to one lane with long waits on either end. The alternate route is 30 miles longer, but I think also safer at night when the elk are out (I would never drive 89A after dark). Also drove to GC using the longer route. Because of Spring Break the NPS recommended entering the park by 9 a.m. due to expected large crowds. We left Sedona at 6:20 a.m. (driving the longer route) and arrived shortly before 9. We spent 10 hours at the GC. The weather was fantastic, and the views are spectacular.
We did not hike in Sedona for 2 reasons: I broke a bone in my foot shortly before the trip and am stuck with a boot until it heals, and it was way too warm to hike in the desert unless we were willing to get there really early. Be careful with the heat . . always carry lots of water.
About Hyatt PP. We stayed on an Interval trade. I was hugely disappointed. Probably because we're not owners or paying customers (and I get that), we were assigned one of the dungeon rooms. From the parking lot to the front door was 17 steps (at check-in they told us that some units are up 60+ steps) . . and then we arrived at a dark unit with beat-up furniture. Seriously . . the living room windows faced a concrete wall, our main patio was in a ditch, and the other outside area faced the parking lot. The kitchen in very small. Overall, not what I expected. The upside for the Interval trade was that they didn't charge us the $20/day resort fee. I wouldn't stay there again.