• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head Easter Trading Power Question

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I just successfully reserved our 2018 Silver week at Barony Beach Club for week 12 in 2018 for deposit to II. We did the same thing for 2017 and used the deposit to trade-up to September 2017 (Gold season) at Grande Ocean. But in 2018, week 12 is the week leading up to Easter and, according to the II TDI charts for Hilton Head, has a TDI of around 145 for the 2018 week vs. 100 for the 2017 week we used for the GO trade. I recognize TDI is only relevant within the HHI region, but clearly, the 2018 week should have significantly better trading power in II than the 2017 week.

Since we've been primarily a DC points user and the 2017 trade was our first II trade as a Marriott owner, I don't really know what to expect from the trade power of the 2018 Spring Break/Easter week we've secured. So I pose these questions to the TUG trading experts:

1. Based on our 2017 experience, we now know that a typical Barony week 12 can easily trade up to Gold season in HHI. But what can we expect to be able to do with the seemingly more powerful 2018 week 12? I'm assuming it won't touch the power of a summer week (even though the TDI is close to that of summer), but what Marriott destinations and time periods are reasonable targets for us using that week? Note that I'm not a big fan of the uncertainty and waiting around for months and months for a trade to match, so I would want to set my targets for places with a reasonable certainty of a fairly quick match (for example, our September 2017 GO trade matched in late November 2016).
  2. Please help refresh me on the process for depositing with II. I know I have to go onto the II site and enter my MVC reservation number and manually deposit the week to Interval, but last year that process had a few bumps because I did the deposit right after making the Marriott reservation. Interval first rejected the deposit because Marriott hadn't yet done something on their end to validate the deposit. How long should I wait to do the Interval part of the deposit?
As far as where and when we would like to go, since we're still relatively new to the Marriott system, we're open to almost anything. By 2018 our youngest will be in college, so we will no longer be tied to high season school calendars. Places like Newport Coast, Florida (not Orlando), and Aruba/the Caribbean would probably be at the top of our list, but almost anything in the MVC system would be an option as of right now. We also love Hawaii, but I'm assuming that Hawaii would be a pretty heavy lift for a Silver HHI, even Easter.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If your not tied to the school calendar and are as flexible as you seem to be, I think you have a good shot at nice weather periods at all of your target resorts as long as you avoid the highest seasons. You can even select the highest seasons as long as you include some shoulder weeks as well and that would be without the bump from the pre Easter week. Put in your OGS now for 2018 and your chances of getting a 1-2 br in one of your targets 6-12 months in advance is very good.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 12 surfwatch 2 bedroom was pulling Crystal shores for me before I traded it for a 3 bedroom surfwatch gold week this fall, so I'd say you should get a great trade using it.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone have any direct experience with how much better a HHI week 12 Easter (like we just reserved for 2018) trades than a HHI week 12 non-Easter (like we had for 2017)?

Also, any input on question #2 above? How long should I wait after reserving the week to complete the deposit with II and avoid a disconnect between MVC and II like last year where II didn't get MVC's OK and initially denied the deposit?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. Does anyone have any direct experience with how much better a HHI week 12 Easter (like we just reserved for 2018) trades than a HHI week 12 non-Easter (like we had for 2017)?

Also, any input on question #2 above? How long should I wait after reserving the week to complete the deposit with II and avoid a disconnect between MVC and II like last year where II didn't get MVC's OK and initially denied the deposit?

Week 12 2018 will have considerably higher trading power than 2017. It seems II has narrowed the power needed for instant exchanges so it makes trading power easier to isolate (but not friendlier to exchange).

It is Passover rather than Easter that makes the difference. Passover is when many east coast schools are out. You can have a Sat-Sat 2018 reservation that checks out the day before Easter. It will be fairly high demand even though it does not fall on Easter.

On your second inquiry I have never had this problem. I have had new purchases added to my account and reserved and deposited the same day. I think your experience might have been a fluke. I haven't even had that problem in other systems. The only exception is when I misunderstood the rules but never once due to timing. Someone at Marriott or II must have made a mistake.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Week 12 2018 will have considerably higher trading power than 2017. It seems II has narrowed the power needed for instant exchanges so it makes trading power easier to isolate (but not friendlier to exchange).

It is Passover rather than Easter that makes the difference. Passover is when many east coast schools are out. You can have a Sat-Sat 2018 reservation that checks out the day before Easter. It will be fairly high demand even though it does not fall on Easter.

I was able to reserve a Sat-Sat 2018 reservation, so that's what I did, thinking that might be a popular itinerary since some folks might want to be home for Easter Sunday. But while many east coast schools may always be out week 12 due to Passover, at least in my area, it depends on when Easter falls. When Easter falls early as it does in 2018, schools around here almost always schedule their break for the week after Easter (week 13 in 2018) rather than the week before. That's, of course, a moot point for me because only week 12 is in Silver season, so the only way for me to play the Easter trading game is to snag week 12 in those occasional years when it falls in our season. Do you have any idea if II assigns different trading power to different check-in days for the same week? Doesn't matter now since I'm locked in to Sat-Sat and the next week 12 that includes Passover and Easter weekend is not until 2024, but I am still curious.

On your second inquiry I have never had this problem. I have had new purchases added to my account and reserved and deposited the same day. I think your experience might have been a fluke. I haven't even had that problem in other systems. The only exception is when I misunderstood the rules but never once due to timing. Someone at Marriott or II must have made a mistake.

Thanks for clarifying that. I'll do the deposit transaction tomorrow and hope all works better this time. It took a couple phone calls to get it cleared up last year.

Last edited:

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check in day does not impact trading power with II, just like view does not.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to reserve a Sat-Sat 2018 reservation, so that's what I did, thinking that might be a popular itinerary since some folks might want to be home for Easter Sunday. But while many east coast schools may always be out week 12 due to Passover, at least in my area, it depends on when Easter falls. When Easter falls early as it does in 2018, schools around here almost always schedule their break for the week after Easter (week 13 in 2018) rather than the week before. That's, of course, a moot point for me because only week 12 is in Silver season, so the only way for me to play the Easter trading game is to snag week 12 in those occasional years when it falls in our season. Do you have any idea if II assigns different trading power to different check-in days for the same week? Doesn't matter now since I'm locked in to Sat-Sat and the next week 12 that includes Passover and Easter weekend is not until 2024, but I am still curious.

Thanks for clarifying that. I'll do the deposit transaction tomorrow and hope all works better this time. It took a couple phone calls to get it cleared up last year.

I agree, Passover on week 12 does not happen often. Silver isn't bad for me because my school spring breaks are always either week 11 or week 12. I am at Surfwatch and there are quite a few Floridians on vacation here this week. I would prefer south Florida but HHI is so much easier to exchange.

The check-in day isn't supposed to matter.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In II early Easter weeks in HHI are easy to get with another Marriott and show up all the time. With that said, it will trade better than if it were just a plain old week 12.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In II early Easter weeks in HHI are easy to get with another Marriott and show up all the time. With that said, it will trade better than if it were just a plain old week 12.

Thanks for the insight. So what do you think are reasonable targets for a Easter week 12? As I said in the OP, I'm looking for things that have a really good chance of finding a match rather quickly versus waiting and waiting for that long shot trade to come through.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
This year, Easter weekend and the Heritage PGA golf tournament fall together. It's a big draw for HH. Not sure how it affects trades though.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought that too but I went to exchange for week 12 next year and it wasn't easy at all. They were sitting there but I needed at least moderate power to get them. 2BR Manor Club March and 1BR Grande Vista October were not good enough. 1BR Willow Ridge July 4 and a high powered 2BR non-Marriott did the trick. I was used to fetching just about anything available on instant with just about any 1BR Marriott but maybe that has changed.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This year, Easter weekend and the Heritage PGA golf tournament fall together. It's a big draw for HH. Not sure how it affects trades though.

Yes. We're going to be there in a couple weeks for the Heritage week, but this year, we're using Destination Points for an oceanfront at Barony so we didn't have to worry about trade power. Booked it last April a couple weeks after the 12-month window for that week opened. In 2018, we've got the week before Easter for trade, but the 2018 Heritage is a few weeks later in its normal post-Masters slot.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Well that is fascinating. What are the dates for 2018? Can't seem to find them online.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Well that is fascinating. What are the dates for 2018? Can't seem to find them online.

In 2018, Easter is Sunday April 1. The PGA Tour has not announced their full 2018 schedule, but The Masters week in 2018 is April 2-8. The Heritage has been generally locked in to the week after The Masters, so unless there is an unusual adjustment to the 2018 PGA Tour schedule, the 2018 RBC Heritage should be April 9-15.

Heather Ginn

Reaction score
I just successfully reserved our 2018 Silver week at Barony Beach Club for week 12 in 2018 for deposit to II. We did the same thing for 2017 and used the deposit to trade-up to September 2017 (Gold season) at Grande Ocean. But in 2018, week 12 is the week leading up to Easter and, according to the II TDI charts for Hilton Head, has a TDI of around 145 for the 2018 week vs. 100 for the 2017 week we used for the GO trade. I recognize TDI is only relevant within the HHI region, but clearly, the 2018 week should have significantly better trading power in II than the 2017 week.

Since we've been primarily a DC points user and the 2017 trade was our first II trade as a Marriott owner, I don't really know what to expect from the trade power of the 2018 Spring Break/Easter week we've secured. So I pose these questions to the TUG trading experts:

1. Based on our 2017 experience, we now know that a typical Barony week 12 can easily trade up to Gold season in HHI. But what can we expect to be able to do with the seemingly more powerful 2018 week 12? I'm assuming it won't touch the power of a summer week (even though the TDI is close to that of summer), but what Marriott destinations and time periods are reasonable targets for us using that week? Note that I'm not a big fan of the uncertainty and waiting around for months and months for a trade to match, so I would want to set my targets for places with a reasonable certainty of a fairly quick match (for example, our September 2017 GO trade matched in late November 2016).
  2. Please help refresh me on the process for depositing with II. I know I have to go onto the II site and enter my MVC reservation number and manually deposit the week to Interval, but last year that process had a few bumps because I did the deposit right after making the Marriott reservation. Interval first rejected the deposit because Marriott hadn't yet done something on their end to validate the deposit. How long should I wait to do the Interval part of the deposit?
As far as where and when we would like to go, since we're still relatively new to the Marriott system, we're open to almost anything. By 2018 our youngest will be in college, so we will no longer be tied to high season school calendars. Places like Newport Coast, Florida (not Orlando), and Aruba/the Caribbean would probably be at the top of our list, but almost anything in the MVC system would be an option as of right now. We also love Hawaii, but I'm assuming that Hawaii would be a pretty heavy lift for a Silver HHI, even Easter.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Heather Ginn

Reaction score
New here! Have owned 2 Siver Oceanside Barony Beach Club weeks since 2000. I have successfully traded week 12 through II for July 4 for 16 years and have gotten Barony Beach Club Oceanside every year. This year we successfully traded for the second week in July due to a wedding. However, we are Gardenside this year. When I inquired about the placement I was told that the number of II weeks the Resort gets for placement are down drastically since the introduction of the D.C. Points system. Specifically from 24-27% down to 2%. I have been wondering when this would happen and it is here. I currently am waiting on my trade through II for 2018 with 2 week 12 bookings. We will see. We have not converted to D.C. Points for many of the reasons stated. Our Silver Week 12 has had very decent trading in II. I almost every year get a bonus week from II that has taken us to some amazing places Grand Solmar, Gran Luxxe not to mention the ability to trade to Marriott points. We have been to the JW Marriott Essex House in NY, Frenchmans Reef St Thomas, and Los Suenos in Costa Rica all on points( 2 rooms) working our second Silver week and the CC. Not sure converting 2 Silver Weeks to DC program would benefit us.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Heather>>"When I inquired about the placement I was told that the number of II weeks the Resort gets for placement are down drastically since the introduction of the D.C. Points system. Specifically from 24-27% down to 2%."

Heather, the resort told you this? I thought a II trade was a 1:1 match of availability and was managed solely at the II level. Now if II told you they were getting a 90% reduction in deposits as folks were using points, i guess that's what we all assumed would ultimately happen...albeit, varies a lot by resort.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if the deposits are down as well. I have a one bedroom Lakeshore Reserve Christmas week request in for Hilton Head for Easter 2018. I deposited it into Interval last December, so that was way before the year mark. I haven't been matched yet. I've traded one bedroom Lakeshore (lesser weeks than Christmas) for Easter week at Hilton Head for years (always a Sunday checkin) and I'm shocked a match hasn't come through. The AC's haven't been of value recently and now trouble with getting a match. I have not deposited my second one bedroom Christmas week with Interval and have it listed on Marketplace to rent. Maybe others are holding back like I am?

Heather Ginn

Reaction score
To clarify, yes these % were provided to me from the Barony Beach Club manager. The room placement was also explained by management at Barony. Yes the trade is made through a match at II in a 1:1 manner blind of Gardenview vs. Oceanside. Then I was told Barony gets the specifics of the II match 3 weeks before check in. I was told D.C. Points reservations get priority over owner trades in for placement purposes. That an II trade in ( even if an owner trading seasons) is placed based on the deposit specifics through II. In other words if the owner deposit is a Oceanside view trading in another Oceanside view has to be deposited with II. Seems fishy to me as I know Oceanside rooms were available to rent midweek on Marriott.com. I asked for an upgrade midweek and was told no rooms would be available.
As for the Easter request on deposit that has me wondering. I have deposited that week with II for the 2018 trade. I have another Easter week not deposited yet. If you don't get your trade I maybe can help as we most likely will not be using our week. Guess we will have to wait to see if this trend in matches is down for good. As I said 17 years and no issues. I have added other Marriott HHI properties to the trade to increase the probability of a match.
Any observations on the room placement process welcome!
Also would like to know more on buying Grand Luxxe a Vidanta property or Grand Solmar on the resale market.​