• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just a Small Warning

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at Smokey Mountain. Yesterday I went out on the balcony to enjoy the brisk morning air. As usual I closed the door to keep the cold air out of the room. Little did I know that I was LOCKED out of the room. They have installed spring loaded door latches (at least on the room we were in). So if you don't want to be locked out in the cold or heat make sure not to close it behind you. It was a good thing someone was along on the trip to let me in!!

I think this could be a potential safety hazard. Especially if you travel alone.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My thoughts exactly! That would have caught me, too, I think.

On the flip side, when my daughter's neighbor locked himself out of his apartment, he asked if he could go through her apartment, onto her balcony, and hop over to his. And he did. After that she always locked her balcony door :)

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly! That would have caught me, too, I think.

On the flip side, when my daughter's neighbor locked himself out of his apartment, he asked if he could go through her apartment, onto her balcony, and hop over to his. And he did. After that she always locked her balcony door :)

Yes. That could happen here as well. But I think the risk outweighs the benefit. It's one thing to have it that way but another not to have a warning sticker.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had the same close call at Ka'anapali Beach Club. Our room was on the second floor and the two of us allowed the balcony slider to close and lock behind us. There was nobody below to call to for help because the ground under our end of the property was closed off and empty due to construction.

I was seriously thinking of dropping into the bushes below, but first we tried the slider entrance into the room next door (the two rooms shared the same balcony). There was nobody home next door but they had left their sliding door unlocked! We went into their room (trying not to look at their clothes, their luggage, their laptop computer) and exited their door into the hall. From there we were able to call security, tell our story, and have them let us into our room.

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
I'm currently at Smokey Mountain. Yesterday I went out on the balcony to enjoy the brisk morning air. As usual I closed the door to keep the cold air out of the room. Little did I know that I was LOCKED out of the room. They have installed spring loaded door latches (at least on the room we were in). So if you don't want to be locked out in the cold or heat make sure not to close it behind you. It was a good thing someone was along on the trip to let me in!!

I think this could be a potential safety hazard. Especially if you travel alone.

Thanks for the heads up! We're staying at Smokey Mountain this summer for a week. Some of those balconies are very high and some buildings are up on a hill. Not sure what I would do if we got locked out. Certainly not try to jump!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! We're staying at Smokey Mountain this summer for a week. Some of those balconies are very high and some buildings are up on a hill. Not sure what I would do if we got locked out. Certainly not try to jump!

If you are a smoker, light up your shirt and try sending smoke signals. Not joking by the way. If a non-smoker, bring a lighter or matches with you or bring a cell phone that gets reception from the balcony.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
If you are a smoker, light up your shirt and try sending smoke signals. Not joking by the way. If a non-smoker, bring a lighter or matches with you or bring a cell phone that gets reception from the balcony.

Good advice. When my wife asks why I have suddenly started carrying a lighter on our trips, I will show her that post.

But now I worry about not having the lighter on me if this happens. I think I will just position a lighter on balcony.

But then I worry about the lighter being blown off the balcony in a storm. I guess I should build a box to store the lighter in, put that on the balcony.

Whew - crisis averted. Glad I read TUG.

Last edited:

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice. When my wife asks why I have suddenly started carrying a lighter on our trips, I will show her that post.

But now I worry about not having the lighter on me if this happens. I think I will just position a lighter on balcony.

But then I worry about the lighter being blown off the balcony in a storm. I guess I should build a box to store the lighter in, put that on the balcony.

Whew - crisis averted. Glad I read TUG.

Humm wonder if I need a concealed carry permit for a flare gun. If I keep one of those on me at all times maybe then I can feel safe and can always get help.

Sorry Kozman not knocking your thread. You brought up a good point about self locking doors. When I use to "slum it" it in traditional hotels unfortunately I've locked myself out a few times getting ice. Would hate to be stranded on a balcony.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had the same close call at Ka'anapali Beach Club. Our room was on the second floor and the two of us allowed the balcony slider to close and lock behind us. There was nobody below to call to for help because the ground under our end of the property was closed off and empty due to construction.

I was seriously thinking of dropping into the bushes below, but first we tried the slider entrance into the room next door (the two rooms shared the same balcony). There was nobody home next door but they had left their sliding door unlocked! We went into their room (trying not to look at their clothes, their luggage, their laptop computer) and exited their door into the hall. From there we were able to call security, tell our story, and have them let us into our room.

The issue is that the doors have a spring loaded latch. So I assume your neighbor did not totally close their door or you would have been stranded on their balcony as well.