• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Those locations which require a phone call to make a reservation

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
such as fiesta Americana in mexico or a couple in marco island. how hard is it to make a reservation and does it require more points than those which we can reserve online?
we have been going to those places we can reserve online and couldn't be happier with our experience. we have been to Oahu, big island, myrtle beach, Orlando and are going to Breckenridge this summer. we like to go to new places so started looking into those options and would like to know if we can even make a reservation. we have 5,000 points annually and somehow managed to use every year with carefully advanced plan.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
such as fiesta Americana in mexico or a couple in marco island. how hard is it to make a reservation and does it require more points than those which we can reserve online?
we have been going to those places we can reserve online and couldn't be happier with our experience. we have been to Oahu, big island, myrtle beach, Orlando and are going to Breckenridge this summer. we like to go to new places so started looking into those options and would like to know if we can even make a reservation. we have 5,000 points annually and somehow managed to use every year with carefully advanced plan.

Their are points charts for everthing at http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/.

It isn't hard to make a phone call, but like everything else timeshare, you need to book as early as possible. availability at affiliates is more limited due to a requirement for owners to enroll their unit in HGVC and (possibly) deposit their reservation. So if they don't have what you want, keep calling daily.

The annoyance is that reservations via phone are more expensive.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
I can speak from experience -- if you miss the 9 month window even by several days for October at Marco, Sanibel, or Captiva, there is very little availability. Best to call at 9 month to the day. Those resorts are very small, with very few units and a lot of fixed week owners that you are reliant on exchanging their week into HGVC for availability (and some owners have not opted in to a HGVC membership, so those weeks are not even available to HGVC members).

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
Great help, thank you everyone!

We are thinking of Marco Island next year and our kids are not in school yet so no need to target spring break. How is mid-late April or mid-May? Is it any busy season or low season?

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

We are thinking of Marco Island next year and our kids are not in school yet so no need to target spring break. How is mid-late April or mid-May? Is it any busy season or low season?

you can look at the calendar of seasons at HGVClub.com

Silver weeks are Low season, Plat weeks are busy season. Gold weeks are in between.

Just expect to have to get a 2BR as 1BR units are few and far between.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I booked at Fiesta Cabo last year relatively close to my travel time.

Only studios were available to book at that point. It was just two of us so we were ok with that. I managed to upgrade to a 1 BR with cash upon check in.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Personally I think October is the perfect time to visit Florida -- Hawaii-like weather and ocean temps...and lower point season:

marcoweather.jpg

BTW, here is my shortlist of HGVC florida resorts with RCI and TripAdvisor ratings (picked through the combined Captiva Island reviews for the specific resort):
Code:
[B]Resort                                  Room     City             RCI   Tripadvisor[/B]Harbourview Villas                      2 Bdrm   Captiva Island   5.0   4.0
Plantation Bay Villas                   3 Bdrm   Captiva Island   5.0   5.0
Plantation House                        2 Bdrm   Captiva Island   5.0   5.0
South Seas Club                         2 Bdrm   Captiva Island   5.0   5.0
Eagle's Nest Beach Resort               2 Bdrm   Marco Island     5.0   4.5
The Charter Club of Marco Beach         2 Bdrm   Marco Island     4.5   4.5
The Surf Club of Marco                  2 Bdrm   Marco Island     4.0   4.5
Hurricane House Resort                  2 Bdrm   Sanibel Island         4.5
Sanibel Cottages Resort                 2 Bdrm   Sanibel Island   5.0   4.5
Shell Island Beach Club                 2 Bdrm   Sanibel Island   5.0   5.0
Tortuga Beach Club                      2 Bdrm   Sanibel Island   4.0   5.0
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River   2 Bdrm   Stuart           5.0   4.5

Last edited:

hgvcowner9

Reaction score
We have stayed at McAlpine in South Beach in July 2 years in a row and really didn't complain about the weather even though it was hot. My understanding is that July-August is low season for Florida due to hot weather. We were just thankful and happy that we could vacation at a nice place which can be a luxury to many people in the world.
Looking at the average temperature, going in April or May which are low point costing weeks won't be a problem at all.
Can't wait to visit another new place!

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
It's busy up through Week 16. After that it gets quieter at Marco until the Winter holidays. There isn't any spring break crowd there.

elleny76

Reaction score
I can speak from experience -- if you miss the 9 month window even by several days for October at Marco, Sanibel, or Captiva, there is very little availability. Best to call at 9 month to the day. Those resorts are very small, with very few units and a lot of fixed week owners that you are reliant on exchanging their week into HGVC for availability (and some owners have not opted in to a HGVC membership, so those weeks are not even available to HGVC members).
You are 100% right . I just missed the 9 months to Captiva for 6 days and NOTHING is available.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
My brother had to call several times to book Captiva last year as it is 9 months to the CHECK OUT DATE. So he kept extending his stay every day. That was the only way he could grab a stay there.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My brother had to call several times to book Captiva last year as it is 9 months to the CHECK OUT DATE. So he kept extending his stay every day. That was the only way he could grab a stay there.

Ah, good to know!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I called to ask, "Anyplace at Marco for 5 days in May or June?"
I was given two resorts and two calendar options.
Next time, I'll have a preference list and calendar handy.