• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with out 1st Whistler Trip

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked a March break trip to Delta Hotels in a rush and found so many things to sort out and would really appreciate the tips/help of my fellow Tuggers/TSers from our shared perspective:

(1) getting to Whistler from Vancouver Airport: considering shuttle bus can be more expensive for a family of 4, I am considering renting a car. Is driving in March to such a big mountain relatively easy to handle? I heard one-way rental from Avis is better since we don't really need a car while staying at Delta. And winter tire is required by law?

(2) ski tickets and rental. Is there any point to rent in advance from whistler.com? I'd assume renting from the store in Delta is better since we can try out. Is it priced about same? So, generally the rental is 3 days or more? And we have to take care of skis overnight? Is that kind hassle? Can we leave at the lift area overnight?

(3) with 2 kids (age 12 an 14) skiing better than us (but poorer with direction and safety), any tips you can share to ensure safety and staying together during skiing in this huge terrain?

(4) I noticed there is special ski jump shown on Sunday evening. and we might try zip line as well. Is peak-to-peak gondola worth it? Any other things you found interesting?

Thanks so much in advance.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
1. Winter tires required:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...es-and-chains/winter-tire-and-chain-up-routes

Parking in Whistler can be difficult and/or expensive, so better pay extra for a shuttle, or rent a car one way.

2. Cannot leave skis near lifts overnight. If renting for several days, you either store ski yourself at your hotel (may be additional cost), or at the rental place. If you buy ski tickets in advance, then you must still pick them up at the customer service. Better do it the day before. There are long lineups.

3. I gave up trying staying together with the kids. They just want to go, and not constantly wait for their slow parents. We communicate via cell phones and meet for lunch, but mostly ski separately at everyone's own pace.

4. Peak to peak takes too much time, maybe worth doing it once. Ski hours are very limited. There is no night skiing and lifts close at about 3pm. I would maximize skiing time. Also, food on the mountain is expensive, not great, and very slow. Consider taking a small pack with sandwiches with you.

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Winter tires required:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...es-and-chains/winter-tire-and-chain-up-routes

Parking in Whistler can be difficult and/or expensive, so better pay extra for a shuttle, or rent a car one way.

2. Cannot leave skis near lifts overnight. If renting for several days, you either store ski yourself at your hotel (may be additional cost), or at the rental place. If you buy ski tickets in advance, then you must still pick them up at the customer service. Better do it the day before. There are long lineups.

3. I gave up trying staying together with the kids. They just want to go, and not constantly wait for their slow parents. We communicate via cell phones and meet for lunch, but mostly ski separately at everyone's own pace.

4. Peak to peak takes too much time, maybe worth doing it once. Ski hours are very limited. There is no night skiing and lifts close at about 3pm. I would maximize skiing time. Also, food on the mountain is expensive, not great, and very slow. Consider taking a small pack with sandwiches with you.

Thanks so much. Now I got a sense of how things are run there, and also less concerned about letting kids loose, and even got some valuable tips about lineup/lunch/hours.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from there around Christmas. Even for the 2 of us it was cheaper to rent a car but we were only there 4 days and our timeshare (worldmark) had free parking. I would ask Delta what they charge. We never moved the car those 4 days. There was a $20 fee daily for winter tires and I did not realize that was a mandatory winter tire road. We also went through a check stop on the road up so I was glad I was completely sober.
Peak to peak is included with your ski pass and I feel is a must do at least once. Check in advance for discount ski tickets we live in Alberta and they give most bordering provinces/states a discount. Skiing is expensive here and I agree lifts close early. Go down and check out creekside if you have a chance you can actually ski right from there. They have pubs restaurants etc. Dusty's was really lively.

Joan

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Answers in bold below:

Just booked a March break trip to Delta Hotels in a rush and found so many things to sort out and would really appreciate the tips/help of my fellow Tuggers/TSers from our shared perspective:

(1) getting to Whistler from Vancouver Airport: considering shuttle bus can be more expensive for a family of 4, I am considering renting a car. Is driving in March to such a big mountain relatively easy to handle? I heard one-way rental from Avis is better since we don't really need a car while staying at Delta. And winter tire is required by law?

I would price out the two one way rentals vs. round trip rental price as you might be surprised at which is cheaper if you are going for a week. In March, M+S tires (not real winter tires) are required by law, but there's very little chance you'll encounter snow on the Sea to Sky Highway.

(2) ski tickets and rental. Is there any point to rent in advance from whistler.com? I'd assume renting from the store in Delta is better since we can try out. Is it priced about same? So, generally the rental is 3 days or more? And we have to take care of skis overnight? Is that kind hassle? Can we leave at the lift area overnight?

You will save money if you pre book your lift tickets. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the rentals.

(3) with 2 kids (age 12 an 14) skiing better than us (but poorer with direction and safety), any tips you can share to ensure safety and staying together during skiing in this huge terrain?

As others have said, you'll probably want to split up...

(4) I noticed there is special ski jump shown on Sunday evening. and we might try zip line as well. Is peak-to-peak gondola worth it? Any other things you found interesting?

The Peak-To-Peak gondola is indeed included in your ski passes, and I differ from others here because I take it pretty much every time I go to Whistler/Blackcomb. It's an absolute engineering marvel, very scenic, and the 20 minute break is often welcome for my tired legs. Most locals like to chase the sun by starting on Blackcomb in the morning, and then heading over to Whistler in the afternoon via the gondola. If there has been a big dump of snow overnight, head straight up to the top of Whistler to 7th Heaven. If you're meeting up with the kids, the view from the Crystal Hut patio on a clear day even makes me feel good about an $11 self service tall boy on a picnic table.

Thanks so much in advance.

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks, folks.

On saving money thru pre-ordering tickets, the minimum is 2 of 3 days on Whistler.com (2 days skiing in 3-day period). Would buying tickets once arriving there be subject to the same restriction? Think I'd like a little more flexibility.