• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Beach Club

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
charged $35 to check-in to my own week and another $30 for split week that I had given to DRI to rent. unbelievable.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this the Ocean Beach Club in Virginia Beach,VA. From the outside it looks awesome. How can they charge you for your own week?:doh:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What the $35 for parking fees for the week?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
charged $35 to check-in to my own week and another $30 for split week that I had given to DRI to rent. unbelievable.
I bet you that charge you $35 for not attending the owners update.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you give us more details? What did they say the charges were for? They had to provide some kind of explanation?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Annoyingly and unfortunately many developers charge lock off/split week fees. Marriott for example charges $80 but they are at the top end. Conveniently Marriott allows enrolled members to pay a single all in one fee that includes any lock off fees, an II account and Marriott to Marriott exchanges through II.

Unless the parking is included in the MF then I guess DRI can charge those to owners too. I don't know the breakdown of the MF's and if they took out that fee and replaced it with other DRI administrative fee, but OBC has always charged for parking for exchangers. I would assume that it was covered from your MF either that or as a developer perk. Unlike some of the other formal Ocean Key properties, I believe the parking structure that OCB and Oceanaire use is not owned by the resort, they sublet space from the Virginia Beach parking lot.

I would ask for an explination for the $35- to verify if it is for parking and to verify that it applies when using your owner week.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If it's a parking fee, this isn't the only resort that does this, although it may be the only one I've read about the charges owners as well as exchangers.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
This doesn't sound like a parking fee. We are owners of multiple weeks here. Owners get 1 free parking spot for their stay regardless of unit size. So we have 2BR units, we get 1 free parking spot, and if more people/cars come with us, they have to pay $10 per day per car.

I am not sure what this fee is, so hopefully the OP can provide those details?

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know a fee of $35 is charged for late submission of usage. Within 60 days from check-in, you're slapped with a $35 fee for submitting either owner or guest usage. If you make any changes to that usage whenever it was submitted, then there's another $35 fee. If splitting a lock-out is now garnering a fee, then that's a new one by DRI.

It would be nice to know what the fees were for that the OP was charged.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is a $35 late submission of usage fee ?

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
You lose your whole week of usage if you don't notify DRI that you will be using your fixed week at least 15 days prior to check-in. If you fail to notify DRI at least 61 days prior to check-in, you will be charged a $35 fee. At any time, from the time that you submit your usage, if you decide to change the usage, then you are charged a $35 fee. These folks are "fee happy." However, I do believe that these fees and the timelines are carryovers from Gold Key Resorts. The owners that fail to know these rules, either find their usage completely lost or they have to pay these add-ons.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this rule apply to all DRI fixed weeks owners or to only Ocean Beach Club fixed week owners?
You lose your whole week of usage if you don't notify DRI that you will be using your fixed week at least 15 days prior to check-in. If you fail to notify DRI at least 61 days prior to check-in, you will be charged a $35 fee. At any time, from the time that you submit your usage, if you decide to change the usage, then you are charged a $35 fee. These folks are "fee happy." However, I do believe that these fees and the timelines are carryovers from Gold Key Resorts. The owners that fail to know these rules, either find their usage completely lost or they have to pay these add-ons.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
No idea whether this applies to other DRI properties outside the former Gold Key Resorts properties. One shouldn't lose their fixed week of usage just because they didn't notify the management company of their intentions for use. I have timeshares that request whether the owner is using the week, a guest will be using the week or if it has been deposited with an exchange company. However, if this information isn't provided, the owner doesn't lose their week for the year. Also, having to provide the usage prior to 60 days before check-in or be charged $35 is an absurd fee. I rent many of my Virginia Beach weeks. Sometimes I secure my renter within the 60 days prior to check-in and have to fork over this $35 charge. If I submit owner usage to beat the 14-day requirement before check-in and then change it to guest usage, I am charged a $35 fee. I haven't read of any other DRI owners at other resorts experiencing this, so I believe it may be not be system wide.

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
checked rates on hotel.com. DRI charging almost same rate for oceanaire and ocb. surprised resort charge is $20.32.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
checked rates on hotel.com. DRI charging almost same rate for oceanaire and ocb. surprised resort charge is $20.32.
In my opinion having a daily resort charge in itself is not unique. It is how DRI uses it...or in my opinion almost abuses it as it relates to VB properties.

For example, Marriott charges a daily resort fee at their hotels. We have recently stayed at the Marriott hotels in Myrtle Beach and Marco Island, and got charged daily resort fees of just under $20 per day. In return for that charge we got parking, a strong internet signal, daily housekeeping, access to all pools and amenities, discounts to the onsite restaurants...all included for that daily fee.

At OBC and Oceanaire DRI charges daily rack rates that are equal to or exceed the Marriott and Hilton hotels nearby. They then charge those non-owners a daily resort fee, like they are a hotel. That doesn't seem to be the real problem. The problem seems to be when a non-owner stays there and pays the fee, and then find out the daily resort amenity fee seems to provide almost no actual benefit to them. They are told they still have to pay extra for parking, told they get no daily housekeeping or towel exchanges and will have to pay extra for that, and then when they get to their room they find that the WiFi signal is pretty terrible and doesn't work at all on some floors and rooms.

If you review social media reviews, many non-owners that stay at OBC, Oceanaire, and some of the other DRI VB properties appear to be very unhappy with their experience with all these additional fees without any real apparent benefits. DRI charges the fee to non-owners, who are told the fee is because they are non-owners. Then when non-owners expect the normal services these fees usually cover, they report they are told sorry we aren't a hotel, we are a timeshare so we aren't the same.

It's ashame really, because in my opinion OBC and Oceanaire are both great properties in a great location. With the right policies and processes it should be (could be) a great experience for anyone that stays there.

smtundra

Reaction score
If I rent directly to the owner, I just have the reservation in my name, and then add their name to the reservation. Also, they won't have to pay resort fees either, and I avoid the $35 fee which was part of Goldkey.

DRI Hater

Reaction score
I checked in this week. Parking isn't free. At least, they charged me $40 to park for 5 days. If there is free parking for owners, we haven't seen it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked in this week. Parking isn't free. At least, they charged me $40 to park for 5 days. If there is free parking for owners, we haven't seen it.

Is the parking garage own by the City of VA Beach.

DRI Hater

Reaction score
No, it is owned by GoldKey. It is the parking right up the street by the now DRI group for the pressure sales group.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Beach Club looks very, very nice riding passed the building.

DRI Hater

Reaction score
We own at OceanAire. It is better than Ocean Beach Club. I'm just not happy with DRI. My wife found where GoldKey was in the process of building new hotels. The pressure sales group from DRI tried telling us that GoldKey was about to go bankrupt and that was why DRI is here now. I would give anything to have GoldKey back again. This is insane with DRI fee land. I will be attending the owners meeting this year in October. I have already booked my room for the week. I hope to get answers and get to know the other owners that are ready to see what legal action we can take. This is insane.