• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Just Joined Marriott Vacation Club - Was it a good choice?

What is the equivalent USD value of a DC point when booking travel?

• Total voters

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
They could buy it resale on eBay or Craigslist though and save lots of money. Just like timeshares.

Yes, another reason why the home theater (or car) analogy is a good one for timeshares. But I would suspect most people who would be interested in a $20,000 home theater would probably be able to afford to buy it from a specialty dealer who will install, set-up, etc. Sort of the same discussion we're having here. They are paying more than the person who searches Craigslist by buying retail, but get more control over their purchase and the acquisition process is easier and less of a hassle.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Presidential (10,000) have the same short booking benefit as Chairman (15,000). Even Executive (7,000) has similar, albeit 30 days vs. 60 days. https://m.marriottvacationclub.com/...rshipLevelsResources/benefits_at_a_glance.pdf

True. I think Quilter may have been saying Chairman's Level as the example because she may be a Chairman level owner. And she was saying Chairman's Level has the most benefits - like they can book sailing adventures, but no other level can. But I doubt they can rent the sailing adventures to others.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Thanks for that link. I don't think I've seen it until now. I knew there were recent changes but didn't pay complete attention to details on the other levels.
These are not new changes...they were introduced when MVCI went to the four elite levels.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Neither are investments both are cash flow.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Exactly. Just what I said. Both personal choices, purchased with cash for a purpose other than financial investment. In essence they both ultimately tend toward zero value, except for intended purpose alone, which holds an inherent and perceived value that elevates them to a chosen course of action.

I realize one is for transportation, that's why I chose it, as you did. I like mine, hope you like yours. The other is for "transformation", from a stressed and hard-working albeit successful professional (nature of my business) who seeks mental and physical relief (like everyone else who holds a position of immense responsibility) with amazing down time, especially with family. But both still have something in common-----they are strictly for use and abuse, enter at any level...... Call it disposable income if you like, but the purposes of both, and the "financial explications" of both, are not as dissimilar as you attempt to conclude.

And fyi, to the contrary I am indeed in complete control of my timeshares. Maybe that's not the typical experience of the average timeshare owner, but it's something that I did put some modicum of thought into prior to purchasing. I obtained quality by design and can get rid of them as easily as I want, with a decent return not anywhere near zero. In addition, I can (and do) rent any of them for well over maintenance fee, never at a loss, and never even close to a "break-even". Some I rent for 2.5x the maintenance fee, so I have a positive cash flow at any time if I choose to do that.

But I mostly choose to use them in the way initially purposed, which as planned, enriches my life (and that of my family) like nothing else. It has provided joy for two decades, and won't stop until I decide to choose that route, but I have advised my family to always keep and use them, if nothing else, strictly as positive cash flow through rentals. And even if sold by choice, I fully expect far more by percentage in return than a purchased vehicle. Even if at half the value, that's more than a vehicle at the use's end.

Bottom line, minus the drama over the necessities, I view vehicles and timeshares in much the same light, i.e., a loss in general as a financial investment. And altho a vehicle serves a noble purpose, a timeshare can provide a most enjoyable function in a family's life, with priceless memories not achievable by many other means. And certainly not by renting from someone else. Where we go and where we stay cannot be had by only rentals "for less than maintenance fees" as someone posted. We would pay far more than maintenance fees to get prime weeks in prime places, usually double or more. There is no "Toyota or Honda of the timeshare world". The closest thing might be a resale, with far less up-front cost....somewhat akin to buying a top-brand certified vehicle with low mileage, but then again, you're not riding in luxury in the manner of a ride in a top-notch resort year after year. Ask a kid, he'll give you an honest and candid answer. Ask mine.

Last edited:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some here who suggest Golden rescind.

I have a question to those who keep abreast of the current sales and projections.

If he does rescind, in order to give other avenues of booking a try, what is the likelihood of finding the same or better deal in a year?

Back in the days of weeks, the price was always going up. At least until The Great Recession. Purchase incentives varied property to property and even with telesales in Orlando. Then they may have stayed stagnant for a while until the DC was rolled out.

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points
Regarding recent discussion about payback periods, here are the number of years to break even depending on how much you value a point in terms of its booking value. On the low end are people that are perfectly happy or even prefer to do P2P bookings. On the high end are people that would normally book on Marriott.com, but with TS would make a conscious attempt to maximize booking value. The "bonus" points you get from buying direct from MVCI are valued at $0.70 in all examples though, since those don't come with any special benefits beyond what you'd get from renting them. The example below is set at the 7,000 pt level - other levels would vary to some degree.

Direct=just signing up at presentation
Hybrid=buying a combined points and enrolled week direct from Marriott (benchmark for week: $2.80/pt upfront + $0.40 pt annual MF)
Resale=buying straight points resale @ $3.50/pt

Assuming $0 resale value of a point after you purchase it:

BookValue Direct Hybrid Resale
$0.70 65 30 25
$0.80 38 20 17
$0.90 27 15 12
$1.00 21 12 10
$1.10 17 10 8
$1.20 14 9 7
$1.30 12 8 6
$1.40 11 7 5
$1.50 10 6 5

Assuming $3/pt resale value of a point after you purchase it:

BookValue Direct Hybrid Resale
$0.70 45 15 13
$0.80 26 10 8
$0.90 18 8 6
$1.00 14 6 5
$1.10 12 5 4
$1.20 10 5 4
$1.30 9 4 3
$1.40 8 4 3
$1.50 7 3 2

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "bonus" points you get from buying direct from MVCI are valued at $0.70 in all examples though, since those don't come with any special benefits beyond what you'd get from renting them.

What does this mean? Sorry, I don't understand how the incentives work anymore with DC point purchases.

We got 800 bonus points when we enrolled our weeks. Are the bonus weeks that are given as incentives the same kind? I remember they had limited value compared to regular DC points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What does this mean? Sorry, I don't understand how the incentives work anymore with DC point purchases.

We got 800 bonus points when we enrolled our weeks. Are the bonus weeks that are given as incentives the same kind? I remember they had limited value compared to regular DC points.
These would be what they refer to as PlusPoints in the Exchange Procedures. One time use DC points usually good for 18-24 months.

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points

They're "free trips" thrown in. Today if you go sign up at presentation for say 2,000 points, you'll get a "free trip" (i.e. 2,000 extra points for one-time use) for signing up at presentation, plus another 2,000 point "free trip" if you finance at least 70% of the purchase and keep the loan active for at least 18 months. On the latter, the net effect of the free trip plus tax writeoff, minus the interest you pay in 18 months, is pretty solid so I included it in my calculations. If you decline to finance then both "direct" deals above are SLIGHTLY less attractive, but not nearly enough so that it'd impact the payoff periods.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
There are some here who suggest Golden rescind.

I no longer think Golden should rescind -- beyond my knee jerk reaction that any developer purchase should be rescinded, Golden found Hybrid purchases, which make the purchase price for someone who wants the Marriott flexibility more rational.

There is no doubt that Marriott's system was designed to provide flexibility -- it does this very well.

Since Golden -- and I'm counting that the timeshare purchase does not create a financial hardship -- evaluated the options and elected a points-based timeshare, good for him. There are many different reasons to choose to keep a timeshare purchase (control on making & canceling reservations/pride of ownership/desire to return/unique family memories) plus Golden is spending his disposable income in a way that he desires. Good for him. I can talk him out of renting from a weeks owner just as easily as I can promote renting that same week. Nothing is risk-free.

And if he bought points resale -- how much would he really save versus his current package? I think he got a decent deal for someone who wants to play primarily in points.

It will be interesting to see how the system matures and we will make the most of the opportunity as it presents itself.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
They're "free trips" thrown in. Today if you go sign up at presentation for say 2,000 points, you'll get a "free trip" (i.e. 2,000 extra points for one-time use) for signing up at presentation, plus another 2,000 point "free trip" if you finance at least 70% of the purchase and keep the loan active for at least 18 months. On the latter, the net effect of the free trip plus tax writeoff, minus the interest you pay in 18 months, is pretty solid so I included it in my calculations. If you decline to finance then both "direct" deals above are SLIGHTLY less attractive, but not nearly enough so that it'd impact the payoff periods.

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea whether Sales will offer a lower price on the Points you buy if you decline the Incentive Points? In other words, if the per point price WITH the incentive Points is $11, would they reduce the price to, say, $10.50 (to pick a random number) if you opted for a lower price instead of the Single-Use points?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really can't decide whether I find this thread to be informative, amusing, sad or....?
It is probably a combination of all of these.
The key point raised several times is surely that "one size does not fit all"
It is good that everyone can express their views and hopefully help others with useful facts and opinions.
Those who are adamant that timeshare purchases can not possibly make sense will never convince those of us who highly value and benefit from the quality and varied experiences our purchases give us, our families and friends over a lifetime.
Similarly, we will never convince them that this is why we puchased and financial cost benefit investment cases are a less important factor.
I fear this debate could go on and on and...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Those who are adamant that timeshare purchases can not possibly make sense will never convince those of us who highly value and benefit from the quality and varied experiences our purchases give us, our families and friends over a lifetime.
Similarly, we will never convince them that this is why we puchased and financial cost benefit investment cases are a less important factor.
Just like politics and religion...

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points
I really can't decide whether I find this thread to be informative, amusing, sad or....?
It is probably a combination of all of these.
The key point raised several times is surely that "one size does not fit all"
It is good that everyone can express their views and hopefully help others with useful facts and opinions.

As a newbie to TS, I've found this thread extremely educational. Yes there's an aspect of political debate where some folks are just locked into their opinions, but there's also a good amount of substance in here. That's why I've kept tracking it. Plus for me, having benefited tremendously from the advice posted in here, I am motivated to continue to provide objective data and comparisons so that hopefully this thread can help people in the future who are considering getting into MVCI or whether they should rescind.

One of the really interesting things for us was to learn that TS can be rented from eBay, Redweek, etc. But to fully evaluate whether that'd work for us, we needed some of the postings on here to help us understand the process involved in that. Ultimately, we decided we were willing to pay the premium that we did in order to never have to deal with that process; and at the same time, we're able to save money and have better access to nicer units than we'd have if we continued to just book our vacations on .com websites.

I'd expect that different people will come to different conclusions about whether Renting vs. Weeks vs. Trading vs. Points vs. Websites is right for them; and hopefully this thread can help with that, without being an advertisement for any single one of those options.

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points
Do you (or anyone else) have any idea whether Sales will offer a lower price on the Points you buy if you decline the Incentive Points? In other words, if the per point price WITH the incentive Points is $11, would they reduce the price to, say, $10.50 (to pick a random number) if you opted for a lower price instead of the Single-Use points?

Excellent question. The broker I spoke with alluded to it, but I didn't probe too far into it because I was left with the impression that the reduction in price is small enough that if you value the free trips at all, you should just take those. At the time of that call, I had already decided to rescind, so I didn't really care too much about what the specific math was. It's a great question though.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a newbie to TS, I've found this thread extremely educational. Yes there's an aspect of political debate where some folks are just locked into their opinions, but there's also a good amount of substance in here. That's why I've kept tracking it. Plus for me, having benefited tremendously from the advice posted in here, I am motivated to continue to provide objective data and comparisons so that hopefully this thread can help people in the future who are considering getting into MVCI or whether they should rescind.

One of the really interesting things for us was to learn that TS can be rented from eBay, Redweek, etc. But to fully evaluate whether that'd work for us, we needed some of the postings on here to help us understand the process involved in that. Ultimately, we decided we were willing to pay the premium that we did in order to never have to deal with that process; and at the same time, we're able to save money and have better access to nicer units than we'd have if we continued to just book our vacations on .com websites.

I'd expect that different people will come to different conclusions about whether Renting vs. Weeks vs. Trading vs. Points vs. Websites is right for them; and hopefully this thread can help with that, without being an advertisement for any single one of those options.
I agree some of the exchanges on these aspects have been interesting and informative.
It is the repeated claims of disbelief from a few that anyone still buys or can see any benefit in buying timeshares (because it can't ever make any sense can it?) which become rather frustrating and boring.
Unfortunately, there is no practical way to read the interesting posts without seeing the other ones.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely false. Travel insurance would never cover this scenario. Think about it. How could it?
Travel guard offers cancel for any reason insurance. Why would that not cover this?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what is meant, if you only spend a small amount of money, you only have a small amount to lose. If you spend big bucks and it doesn't work out, you are out big bucks.

That too..:)

Small amount and big bucks are different numbers for different people. Sometimes the differences are so big that there is literally no common ground.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel guard offers cancel for any reason insurance. Why would that not cover this?

No it wouldn't. They will not cover booking a bunch of trips just to conveniently decide later which ones to keep. You would need to have something that occurs that prevents taking the trip. It can't simply be based on a change of mind or the decision to work instead.

Cancel for any reason really means for any reason beyond ones control.

You might get reimbursed for one but you need claim after claim after claim in this situation. It's never going to happen.

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it wouldn't. They will not cover booking a bunch of trips just to conveniently decide later which ones to keep. You would need to have something that occurs that prevents taking the trip. It can't simply be based on a change of mind or the decision to work instead.

Cancel for any reason really means for any reason beyond ones control.

Santsfanfl, I respect you and the discourse we usually have, and have agreed to disagree with you on many occasions. That being said, usually you at least look up the source of what I write before outright denying it being valid.

Travelguard has the below policy and only 3 criteria. They clearly state that it is for ANY REASON as long as you cancel more than 48 hours before departure date as long as those criteria are met.

As long as you purchase the policy on each of the trips and they sold you the insurance, you would be covered.

https://www.travelguard.com/cancel-for-any-reason/

Cancel for Any Reason

The Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) option is available as an upgrade when you purchase the Platinum, Gold, or My Travel Guard plan and is a great option that allows travelers to cancel their trip for any reason that is not otherwise covered in their base plan, provided they cancel their trip more than 48 hours before their departure date.

There are three criteria that must be met in order to be eligible for Cancel for Any Reason coverage:
Provided the above criteria is met, and the Insured is prevented from taking the trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this plan, the insurer will reimburse the insured for a percentage of the prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable payments or deposits for insured trip arrangement(s) up to the maximum limit.

1. The CFAR coverage is purchased within 15 days of the initial trip deposit
  2. The trip is cancelled more than 48 hours prior to scheduled departure
  3. The full cost of all non-refundable, prepaid trip arrangements is insured at the time of purchase

Be sure to read your description of coverage.