• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Pool Closings

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Most of us agree the most popular amenity at Lagunamar is the huge infinity edge pool. I'd actually hate to be there and find out the pool was closed for refurbishment. To help you avoid this unpleasantry, I have a letter from them stating when the pools will be closed:

Upper-level pool, kids pool, waterslide will be closed 8/14/2017 thru 9/10/2017

Main lower level pool will be closed 9/11/2017 thru 10/15/2017.

Expect the times may not be totally accurate. I'm glad to see they chose to do this work during peak hurricane season when crowds should be at a minimum, but the bad weather may be part of the reason for delay.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Scared me there, thought closing soon. We will be there in 3 weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the information. It won't effect our trip, but I feel for those that it would. I don't think the upper level closing would have a huge impact on crowding at the other pools as we found it to be the least used of the pools. I would expect the lower pool to cause some issues and challenges at the other pools, especially the small pool area on the other side of the resort.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they are on schedule as we will be there 1 week after the expected completion of the lower pool.

In the evening last year we got kicked out of the larger pool around 7ish (I think). We went over to the over side, no issues. We were the only ones on the larger side at the time. In fact, most evenings after 7 there were less than 5 or 6 people in the pool. Some evenings we had it to ourselves. The hot tubs had people but not consistently.

We were quite surprised when one of the concierge told us they were over 95% compacticy. It didn't appear to be busy at all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I can't imagine this view without that beautiful pool!

Attachments

• Cancun December 2012 004.JPG
    Cancun December 2012 004.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 126

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't imagine this view without that beautiful pool!
The the lower pool closes, it also means no swimup bar there. I wonder if the food service will be closed there during the lower pool closure.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
What specific pool work is being done?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What specific pool work is being done?
Both of those pictured in post #5. The one on the lower half of the photo is the upper pool and the one on the other side of the bridge it the lower pool.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I understand where the pools are. What work exactly are they doing?? Routine maintenance?? What "refurbishment?" Fixing problems?? When we were there in December I noticed them drilling holes in the pool deck concrete after hours at night over by Viento. It looked like it was for permanent umbrella fixing but I wasn't sure. Curious to the work being done that leads to a pool being down for a month. We own there and I didn't see this mentioned in our owner newsletter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I understand where the pools are. What work exactly are they doing?? Routine maintenance?? What "refurbishment?" Fixing problems?? When we were there in December I noticed them drilling holes in the pool deck concrete after hours at night over by Viento. It looked like it was for permanent umbrella fixing but I wasn't sure. Curious to the work being done that leads to a pool being down for a month. We own there and I didn't see this mentioned in our owner newsletter.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Not sure exactly what work is being done. Perhaps resurfacing?

ETA: Looks like I may be right. From the Starwood Hotels website.

Pool Resurfacing Projects: August 14 - October 15, 2017
Please note the following pool information for 2017:

• From August 14 to September 10, 2017, the pool and children’s pool adjacent to the infinity pool will be closed for resurfacing.
  • Upon completion, the infinity pool will then close for resurfacing from September 11 to October 15, 2017.
  • During these timeframes, two of the three pools will remain open at all times.
Please contact the resort for additional information.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
One other note. My guess is that the upper pool will be real cold after refilling. I think even when the lower pool is closed, there will be more crowding at the smaller pool vs when just the upper pool is closed.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm still curious what work was being done at night on the pool deck that required drilling into the concrete. As I mentioned I didn't get a good look but had to leave a few days later. They were, however, out there every night. Has anyone else noticed this? This was back during week 51.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm still curious what work was being done at night on the pool deck that required drilling into the concrete. As I mentioned I didn't get a good look but had to leave a few days later. They were, however, out there every night. Has anyone else noticed this? This was back during week 51.
Were they perhaps moving the locations of the umbrellas?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were they perhaps moving the locations of the umbrellas?

I couldn't tell. They were drilling holes in the concrete and the holes looked like they were for umbrellas. I could tell if this was for permanently fixing the umbrellas to the concrete, or if it was some other project. I am hoping perhaps someone more recently than December saw this. I should have snapped a photo and posted here but I didn't think to.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I couldn't tell. They were drilling holes in the concrete and the holes looked like they were for umbrellas. I could tell if this was for permanently fixing the umbrellas to the concrete, or if it was some other project. I am hoping perhaps someone more recently than December saw this. I should have snapped a photo and posted here but I didn't think to.
I looked back at photos from 2014 and it looked like the umbrellas were already permanently affixed. Or at least they were set directly in the concrete, but possibly still able to be moved.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I looked back at photos from 2014 and it looked like the umbrellas were already permanently affixed. Or at least they were set directly in the concrete, but possibly still able to be moved.

They weren't permanently fixed, more or less attached to a base so that they could be moved. Hmmmm I don't know, maybe they were going back to the permanent fixture. I'd be okay with that as people move them and the chairs all the time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is from 2013, there were no bases to the umbrellas at the main pool. They are definitly in holes in the concrete. I can't remember what the smaller pool had.
Photo201961.jpg

blondietink

Reaction score
The smaller pool only has the moveable umbrella's as I recall.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Umbrellas could be moved previously. I noticed on our last trip in November that the small pool had umbrellas that were permanent but the infinity pool were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Umbrellas could be moved previously. I noticed on our last trip in November that the small pool had umbrellas that were permanent but the infinity pool were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. The photo I posted is beside the infinity pool.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
We own there and I didn't see this mentioned in our owner newsletter.

It's in the Fall 2016 Association Newsletter by Carlos Gonzalez, General Manager

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This must be the explanation for the sheer number of cheap getaways for this fall that are available. I booked a week for a coworker. It was a good deal and the pool closing wasn't an issue for them.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
There are also a lot of exchanges during that time period.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
does anyone have Carlos Gonzales' (GM @WLR) email address?