• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Almost out of Timesharing

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
After 28 years of owning timeshares, I'm down to one. Haven't decided if I'm going to continue to rent the last one or sell it. I find that timeshares no longer fit my way of life. I'd rather cruise or stay in places where timeshares are not convenient. The maintenance and exchange fees have risen so much that it's not worth it in most cases.

Part of me is sad because of all the great times I have spent in timeshares with both family and friends. I have been on TUG for over 20 years and have made so many great friends. I have had incredible trips that never would have happened without timesharing. My favorite trip so far was to China. Although it wasn't a timeshare trip, it was made possible because of the friends I made here on TUG. I even ended up in my retirement place because of TUG and I couldn't be happier.

Of course, I'll still stay on TUG, helping to answer questions when I can.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Well, you live in an ideal location. We looked at the houses in Sun City, when we visited Hilton Head a few years ago.

I would love to live where you live, but we are staying in Colorado to be with the grandkids.

I have to say, the older we get, the harder it is to leave home. I love Maui, Kauai, Orlando, and a lot of other spots we have visited, but it's hard to get out of the house sometimes. My stepdad took us to the airport yesterday for our week at the Hyatt (love this place), and when he asked me if I was looking forward to our trip, I said, "Not really." That's terrible of me, isn't it? But I love it here. I miss the cats, and I wonder how our son is doing. It's hard to be away from him during this time, just having checked out of rehab for alcohol addiction. Maybe if he was back to work and on a normal schedule, I would feel better.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Certainly wish you the best of luck and happiness at the end of your Timeshare journey!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, Pat, you couldn't have said it better. I had an absolute ball timesharing through the years but, you know what, I am getting tired of it too. I still enjoy my Marriott's and my Disney Vacation Club timeshares, and even the Grandview, but the effort to go anywhere far from home has gotten harder and harder. I've just recently started to rent out my Marriott Destination points. Something I never thought I'd do but I'm doing it now rather than Plan big trips somewhere. My kids have been very very spoiled with luxury accommodations. I wonder what they'd do without all my timeshares.

But, there are only a couple of them (I have a blended family of 5 adult kids, 4 adult grandkids, 3 minor age grandkids, and 2 great grandkids) who could afford my maintenance fees or would agree to pay them.

Which leaves me where you are. Should I sell them now or wait? I'm really thinking about this.

But, I wish you the best of luck with your travels without the hassle of paying maintenance fees, reserving, exchanging, renting etc of your timeshares!

All my best,
Marylyn Carlyle

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is why I have so much anxiety just planning a one week trip to Colorado and it is mainly due to flying logistics. I love that our home resorts are within a 6 hour drive. But for anywhere else- where there is a lot of flying and car rentals and so forth- ugh! And we are only in our 60's! I do not leave our home easily and I can see it getting worse. I want to move out of state but I dread doing so- again- all the logistics. One thing I know is I could never live out of a suitcase or in timeshares only going from place to place. We will divest ourselves eventually of at least one of our timeshares, though we love them.We wish our son could afford them, but not the case right now at least.

It will be a sad day for us as well when the time comes, but I know it will be the right thing going forward.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I don't feel that it's harder to travel at all. The biggest problem for me is that I no longer live near a major airport so there are less flights and they are more expensive. I don't mind making stops and changing planes.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Pat, You have been on TUG as long as me, maybe longer. Thank you for all the advice and reviews you have shared over the years. Sounds like you are living in a place that's perfect for you. I wish you the best and hope you still enjoy your one timeshare.
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't feel that it's harder to travel at all. The biggest problem for me is that I no longer live near a major airport so there are less flights and they are more expensive. I don't mind making stops and changing planes.

Living in a rural area this has always been an issue for us. By the time we even get on a plane hours after we have left the house, we feel like we should already be at our destination. But yet our trip has just begun! And- as you said- the expense- plus we usually get car service to take some of the stress off of us-especially when coming back home when we are jet lagged and so on. It's all too much and very discouraging. I have to really push myself to make these kinds of travel arrangements, when I really just want to default to a road trip of no more than a few hours.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We are down to the bare minimum -- 1BR points triennial out in Las Vegas.

We still like timeshare vacationing. Timeshare ownership & timeshare maintenance fees, not so much.

Most of our timeshare reservations have been via RCI Last Call & reduced-price sales on Extra Vacation Getaways. Because we so often go for off-season reservations in locales overbuilt with timeshares, that usually works out just fine.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We have a couple of RTU timeshares, so when they expire we will not renew. The other timeshare we will continue to trade and or stay. DH is close to retiring in a couple of years. I am semi retired and will completely retire when he is retired. Love our home, but get restless and enjoy timeshare vacations. No more timeshares or presentations. Have more than enough.
Silentg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A good friend had to fly out of Philadelphia airport last week as his daughter required emergency surgery in the Tampa area (that 3AM phone call). His flight down was a connecting flight. Flights cost almost $700 RT ... and it took him over 12 hours with circling around Atlanta (an unscheduled fuel refilling in Jacksonville), a missed connecting flight due to the JAX refilling on the Atlanta connection, etc. He was swearing almost a week later ... next time he would rather DRIVE. I took him to the airport... he was super stressed emotionally (I have work with him one-on-one every weekday in 15+ years).... think Donald Duck high pitched voice on the 15-20 minute drive to the airport. And the senior flight attendant had to talk to him twice during the flight to calm down ... explaining what would happen if they had to land & remove him from the flight (prison, fines, lifetime ban on flying, felony record, all costs regarding flight/plane/staff, etc).

His return flight was a non-stop and uneventful. And he really would rather go ANYWAY possible without flying.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Wow! How is his daughter?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
His daughter is at home and recovering. She is an adult (married), but is his ONLY child. Her mother was on vacation 500 miles away and decide to NOT come back to the area as her father was coming the 1000 miles to be with his 'child'. She will be out of work for 6 weeks and can't drive for another 3+ weeks.

He was still at lunch today proclaiming "he hates flying". I was talking about flying down to FLL for the week on Saturday ... I hope he feels up to dropping me off at the airport. ;).