• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seeking some advice for upstate New York

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We're going to a family wedding near Rochester, NY, in July. We thought it might be fun to go to Niagara Falls after the wedding festivities are over. The wedding is July 15. I've been told that we should stay on the Canadian side as there were better hotels with better prices.

Does anyone familiar with that area have any advice for us? I'm thinking we'd rent a car. Looking at the AAA map it looks like a scenic drive along Lake Ontario but I don't know anything about the area or what would be the best route to take. We could probably spend 2-3 days in the area if there's enough to see and do.

Thanks for any help.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe a passport is needed for the return to the US. I agree on Canadian side with its scenic views and extensive parkland. Plenty to see and do from typical tourist trap activities to more upscale natural attractions. Several hotels are within walking distance of the Falls and have Falls-view rooms at a price. We found that the restaurants in hotels near the Falls are very expensive. You can easily walk along the river from the Falls to the Rainbow Bridge, and across the bridge to the US side. There are scenic drives along the river both upstream and downstream. Niagara-on-the-Lake is nice. If you have time you can spend a day sightseeing in Toronto. Enjoy

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
You wont regret spending some time on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, especially with our dollar situation. There are lots of hotels to choose from right by the falls, some with views of the falls. The drive along the Niagara Parkway right up to Niagara on The Lake is very pretty. Niagara on the Lake is a cute little town with some hotels & B&Bs there as well. It is also home to the Shaw Festival (theater) every year. Along the Parkway there are a few winerys that you can stop for tours or samples. There are also a few parks to stop & visit along the way such as Queenston Heights (lots of history) and the Botanical Gardens & Butterfly Conservatory if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Since you'll be visiting in prime tourist season I'd get your accommodations booked asap.

~Diane

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
See you are out of TS, but do you collect points still for any of the hotel systems. Have stayed in both the Marriott On The Falls and the Sheraton Fallsview. Both offer excellent luxury accommodation. Sheraton's falls view rooms have probably the best hotel view of any in the area. Lots of more budget minded options on the Canadian side as well; and the area is very compact so walking distances are easy (but there are some very steep hills).

Yes, there is a ton to do for 2-3 days. It is one of our favorite long-weekend getaways. Sometimes we will spend a weekend doing the corny tourist traps (get the Clifton Hill Fun pass), sometimes we'll do the natural features (get the Niagara Wonder Pass), sometimes we'll hit the vineyards (get the designated driver thing figured out first :) ). Never enough time to do all 3 on the same weekend though.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have good deals on hotels on the Canadian side. CHEck Travelzoo & Groupon. Don't neglect the American Side. We loved Cave of the Winds & Goat Island I loved Niagra FaLLs and would love to go back.

Reaction score
I'm in Canada and have stayed at Niagara Falls several times (Ontario). I usually book great deals through Groupon. Have a blast! You will need a passport to get into/out of Canada (everyone 16+)

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm in Canada and have stayed at Niagara Falls several times (Ontario). I usually book great deals through Groupon. Have a blast! You will need a passport to get into/out of Canada (everyone 16+)

Actually everyone, no matter what their age is, needs a passport now. Our DGD got her 1st passport last year at 6 mos of age.

~Diane

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to a family wedding near Rochester, NY, in July. We thought it might be fun to go to Niagara Falls after the wedding festivities are over. The wedding is July 15. I've been told that we should stay on the Canadian side as there were better hotels with better prices.

Does anyone familiar with that area have any advice for us? I'm thinking we'd rent a car. Looking at the AAA map it looks like a scenic drive along Lake Ontario but I don't know anything about the area or what would be the best route to take. We could probably spend 2-3 days in the area if there's enough to see and do.

Thanks for any help.
Bring passports for Canada. There are better views of the falls from Canada. If you like to hike the US side in the gorge is wonderful. The cave of the winds and Maid of the mist are awesome. Hotels on both sides are nice.
As for the ride from Rochester. Going along the lake is a nice ride. The scenery is mostly rural farms, small towns and parks. One town I enjoy is Olcott. They have a nice boardwalk, a small beach, and a nice park on the lake. There are usually some kind of small festivals going on. Lewiston NY in nice as well. Niagara on the lake in Ontario is nice also.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
As for the ride from Rochester. Going along the lake is a nice ride. The scenery is mostly rural farms, small towns and parks. One town I enjoy is Olcott. They have a nice boardwalk, a small beach, and a nice park on the lake. There are usually some kind of small festivals going on. Lewiston NY in nice as well. Niagara on the lake in Ontario is nice also.
Do you have any idea how long it will take to drive along the lake? Is it just a two-lane road? The estimate I had on map quest from Rochester to Niagara Falls was two hours along the freeway.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Do you have any idea how long it will take to drive along the lake? Is it just a two-lane road? The estimate I had on map quest from Rochester to Niagara Falls was two hours along the freeway.

Yes Karen it will probably take you pretty close to 2 hrs to take the coastal route (Rte 18) to Lewiston. Youngstown (NY) is across the river from Niagara On The Lake (ON) but you'll need to drive to Lewiston to cross over to Canada, then go back up to Niagara on the Lake. We have done that route quite a few times as we like to camp at Four Mile Creek State Park near Youngstown. Be aware though, the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge is often backed up. I have a 800 tel number (which is at home) that gives wait times at all the land crossings. I'm sure its easily googled. There are a couple cheap places to get gas on the Indian reserve near Lewiston (104 & Upper Mountain Rd) called Smokin Joes. Gas is a lot more expensive in Canada!

The coastal route is much more scenic than I-90. You could also take Rte 104 which is in between the other two routes. And yes 18 & 104 are 2 lane roads but in fairly good shape (last time we drove them). You will pass through quite a few small towns along the way.

~Diane

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are also contemplating going to Toronto for our return flight to Las Vegas because we can get a non-stop flight from there. Non-stops aren't available from Rochester. Any advice for what to do in Toronto? We're thinking of spending two nights there.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any advice for what to do in Toronto?
As long as the weather is good try to spend some time exploring the Toronto Islands. We did some walking there and enjoyed the parkland and views of the lake and city. We stayed in a hotel downtown and took the subway to the island ferry. We also enjoyed a double-decker bus tour of the city. Attractions we did not have time to visit are Ripley's Aquarium and the CN Tower with great views but expensive. There are many ethnic neighborhoods with good restaurants.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before leaving Rochester consider driving about 1 hr south to check out the Finger Lakes Wine Region. A hidden gem, IMO. You'll enjoy stunning scenery from the car or from the wineries.

If you or your family members are baseball fans, also consider driving a bit farther to Cooperstown (about 2.5 hrs). Take in a game sitting on the old wooden benches at Doubleday Field, then visit the Hall of Fame. Even if you aren't a baseball fan, it's really a quaint little town and a part of history that shouldn't be missed.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are also contemplating going to Toronto for our return flight to Las Vegas because we can get a non-stop flight from there. Non-stops aren't available from Rochester. Any advice for what to do in Toronto? We're thinking of spending two nights there.
Check flights out of Buffalo as well. Southwest may have nonstops to Las Vegas

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
My daughter is attending the University at Buffalo so we have visited Niagara falls a few times in the last two years. Everything is very, very expensive on the Canadian side. I booked the Sheraton on the Canadian side for the first half of our first visit and the Sheraton on the NY side for the second half. We were allowed to park at Sheraton on the NY side for free and walk over the bridge. Parking in Canada is expensive and food as mentioned earlier is very expensive also. Now we stay near the school and drive the 20 minutes for day trips. Groupon does offer great hotel deals with extras. Be sure to ride Maiden of the Mist, it is a beautiful to experience!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Check flights out of Buffalo as well. Southwest may have nonstops to Las Vegas
I can't thank you enough for that information! It will work out great for us to return from Buffalo after exploring the Niagara Falls area. I just booked our trip on Southwest.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure

Hey! You're going to be in Toronto, Canada? The unofficial home of hockey. How can you not pay a visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame? Lot's of nostalgia and pretty cool exhibits. Even if you're not a big hockey fan.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey! You're going to be in Toronto, Canada? The unofficial home of hockey. How can you not pay a visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame? Lot's of nostalgia and pretty cool exhibits. Even if you're not a big hockey fan.
I should do that since Las Vegas now has a professional hockey team! But, we've changed our plans and aren't going to Toronto now--a reason to come back maybe!