• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WiFi - Direct or via a Hub

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to add come devices to my house. It seems like I have to basic options: devices that connect direct to WiFi and devices that connect to a Hub and then to the internet router. Is one better than the other and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each option? So many choices!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple. Cabling vs. no cabling.

No cables is the advantage of wireless wifi - faster speeds, lower latency, and no wireless interference problems is advantage of ethernet connections.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Your router may or may not have additional LAN ports on it already. So an Ethernet switch (what you called a HUB) may or may not be necessary. As indicated, with wired connections you don't have interface or connectivity issues that can sometimes be a problem with WiFi. Wired connections tend to be more reliable and easier to diagnose issues when you do have them. We have a mix of both. Any time I can easily make a wired connection, I do. We have two computers right beside the router, so they are hard wired even though they will work on WiFi. We also have a NAS hard drive that must be hard wired, so it is right next to the router too. We also have a gigabit switch between one of the computers and the NAS with the NAS and the computer connected directly to the gigabit switch. If either one were instead connected through the router, it would lose the gigabit connection.

For devices in a room other than the router, most connections are wireless. Except for one wall in our living room where I ran cat 6 cabling to a switch to connect everything that was related to our entertainment system and telephone to a switch at the end of the cat 6; TV, PS3, Ooma. These connections are more reliable and I would think that there are probably fewer Netflix buffering issues to the PS3 than there would be if it was connected via wireless. My laptop that is in the same room as that cat 6 cable and switch however is on WiFi so we don't have a cord running across the floor.

So the simple answer is, hard wire what you easily can and what makes sense and then use WiFi for what you can't.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to add come devices to my house. It seems like I have to basic options: devices that connect direct to WiFi and devices that connect to a Hub and then to the internet router. Is one better than the other and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each option? So many choices!
It's not one or the other, but you can do both. For some devices WiFi is a great option, but in other cases the hardwire connection is superior.

I have both and use the hardwire to expand the WiFi signal to include difficult reception areas of the home. I just ran a speed test for WiFi and router. Here are the results:
WiFi = 64 Mbps
Router = 237 Mbps

The router connection is almost 4x faster than WiFi.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I love the technical expertise we have available on Tug and Tuggers willing to share their expertise.

Thanks.

Richard

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I splurged last November on three Eero units, on sale for $387 versus list price $499. Depending on the size of your home, the choice is to buy one, two or three units.
https://eero.com/

Unlike the usual system of modem + router + repeater/extender to reach all parts of the house, Eero is a mesh system that works as an integral unit. It's fast and seamless - - unlike a repeater/extender, the Wifi address is the same all over the house (repeaters broadcast on separate channels).

I get my internet from Comcast/Xfinity bundled with phone and TV service. There's a pass through or bridge setting on the Comcast modem that feeds the internet directly into the base Eero which in turn broadcasts the Wifi in the center of the house and also to the two satellite units. For a smaller space you can buy only the base, or the base plus one satellite. Installation is totally simple - - five minutes to install the Eeros and ten minutes to reconfigure the Comcast modem.

One possible drawback is there's only one network socket on the base Eero, meaning you can direct connect one item, typically your desktop computer, to the base but multiple hard-wire connections are not possible (and when the Comcast modem is reset to pass through/bridge status its network outlets go dead).

Google recently came out with a similar system. The wait-list to order is here
https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It's not one or the other, but you can do both. For some devices WiFi is a great option, but in other cases the hardwire connection is superior.

I have both and use the hardwire to expand the WiFi signal to include difficult reception areas of the home. I just ran a speed test for WiFi and router. Here are the results:
WiFi = 64 Mbps
Router = 237 Mbps

The router connection is almost 4x faster than WiFi.
You sure its not 54? In any event my guess is that your wifi router is old. With internet speeds over 200 mbs, you should upgrade your router to one capable of higher speeds to take advantage of that big pipe.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
You sure its not 54? In any event my guess is that your wifi router is old. With internet speeds over 200 mbs, you should upgrade your router to one capable of higher speeds to take advantage of that big pipe.
These results are from a current technology Xfinity unit with LAN and WiFi broadcast. I used my iPhone 7 to measure the WiFi speed and my desktop for the LAN data. The speed of the Xfinity system is EXTREMELY high for residential applications. Xfinity caps the upload speed for strategic purposes.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I use a combination of wireless and wired connections because the Wifi signal gets weak in parts of the house. My Wifi router has 4 jacks on it to extend wired ethernet connections. I only use 1 to a device that plugs into an electrical outlet, which allows me to use the power wires to carry the ethernet signal. I just plug a similar device into an outlet near whatever I want to connect and run a cable from the outlet device to the thing I want to connect to the internet. This can get expensive, but it was better than running cables all over the house.