• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Family Vacations in the Caribbean [II or RCI]

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking for some help with ideas and opinions on the best Caribbean Islands including Aruba for the best family vacations for children ages 8,13,17. The last post for this subject seems to be from 2012. This will be the families first vacation to the Caribbean. Family is very interested in outdoor activities, water sports, nature, animals, swimming, island tours and possibly a catamaran or boat excursion. They are pretty happy with about any activity even swimming in the pool.

I wasn't sure if to put this in the Caribbean forum or Marriott because both have a lot of good advice.
I appreciate any feedback or ideas you have. I believe Grand Cayman is still one of the more expensive islands am I correct?

Thanks
Cyn

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you will get many suggestions. Our preferences are subjective to our individual experiences. Having been to nearly every major island in the Caribbean either by resort stay or cruise ship stop I would vote for St Thomas. It is a US territory, but feels international. It is relatively safe, the variety of activities is broad...especially for such a wide age group such as yours. Also it is so lush and beautiful. You have ferry access to several other islands including the BVI. Hiking, snorkeling, zip lining, boating, (either private charter or group) swimming, shopping, paddle boarding, visiting historical sites or just hanging out at the beach are some of the activities available. It is relatively easy to get there from the mainland US.

There is a Virgin Island website that has a wealth of information called Vinow.com. Feel free to PM me for specific questions. Good luck!

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote is for Aruba. We have been there 7 times; the first time was when our kids were 15 and 17. There is Arikok National Park, the north side, Atlantis submarine tours, beaches, butterfly farm, ostrich farm and a gazillion other things. It's a Dutch Island, it has GREAT food of all kinds and is very safe. It's a quick flight from the east coast, but if you're on the west coast, Hawaii is easier. We loved it so much we ended up buying a condo there. Check out visitaruba.com for more info.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's plenty to do in all of the larger islands, especially St. Thomas and Aruba but if I was taking three boys (and I'm a bit past that point) I'd go to Aruba with them. The Marriott properties and most others are bunched within walking distance from each other with restaurants, theaters, all kinds of water activities and great weather practically all the time. The Marriott Surf Club in particular has great pool facilities including a large lazy river, organized kids activities for all ages and lots of other kids there. My kids also both had a great time in Belize which I wouldn't rule out too quickly.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's plenty to do in all of the larger islands, especially St. Thomas and Aruba but if I was taking three boys (and I'm a bit past that point) I'd go to Aruba with them. The Marriott properties and most others are bunched within walking distance from each other with restaurants, theaters, all kinds of water activities and great weather practically all the time. The Marriott Surf Club in particular has great pool facilities including a large lazy river, organized kids activities for all ages and lots of other kids there. My kids also both had a great time in Belize which I wouldn't rule out too quickly.

Thanks to everyone who is replying to this post. It helps a lot. The children are 1 boy and 2 girls. If we are only talking about timeshare resorts in the Caribbean what islands would you suggest. I was thinking if they are using II or RCI they would have more inventory to choose from in Aruba or Sint Maartin what are your thoughts?. Yes they would becoming from the east coast.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are they looking to travel in the summer or are looking to exchange during their Christmas or Spring breaks? Obviously the winter holiday weeks would be harder to find an exchange than the summer which is mid season. Summer is off season for hotels but Caribbean timeshares summer is mid to high because schools are off. If they were home schooled or were able to take a week off school October/November would have the most availability for timeshares in the Caribbean.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they looking to travel in the summer or are looking to exchange during their Christmas or Spring breaks? Obviously the winter holiday weeks would be harder to find an exchange than the summer which is mid season. Summer is off season for hotels but Caribbean timeshares summer is mid to high because schools are off. If they were home schooled or were able to take a week off school October/November would have the most availability for timeshares in the Caribbean.
Hi They would be trying to go between 2nd week of June and last week of July. I know this is short notice but am trying to help them. I know this is school break but their children only have this time because of sports.
Thanks for your input. Does anyone have any info on Grand Cayman? Anyone traveled in the last couple of years that can give advice on how expensive it is or not.

Also any input for Aruba on how expensive the food and activities are.
They are possibly looking at All-inclusive also. I personally love timeshares and freedom to make own choices when visiting the islands. I haven't been back to Aruba in over 5yrs so I could use some help with ideas. I know Marriott is one of the favorites for Aruba. Anyone else have ideas?
Thanks
Cyn

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
all inclusives are usually a lot more than DIY with a timeshare, esp. for a family. on our one week vacation in Aruba we did the following budget friendly plan: rent a car, get groceries (large Dutch supermarket had decent prices if you choose wisely-chicken and pork were OK prices, beef more $, certain cheeses, fruits, etc. less than others, prepackaged US stuff was $, use this as a chance to try Dutch cereals, etc.), cooked 4 dinners, ate out 3 dinners, ate in breakfast and some lunches, 1 day exploring via car, 1 day excursion (boat, etc.--we went to the blue parrot place for the day for about $120pp, with all inclusive-good choice with great snorkeling to see tons of parrot fish), 2 days shore snorkeling/beach DIY, 2 days beach/pools. With a resort with a good pool/beach, etc., you can do fine with above plan. You can add another boating excursion, etc. But, for 5 persons, it adds up. We bring our own gear as well as blow up rings/floats.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Regarding Aruba costs. Activities costs are about on par with other islands. However, food costs tend to be a bit high. Aruba has no local farming of any kind. All food stuffs are imported.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Our family has loved St. Maarten and traveled there almost every year for the last 20 years. We first took our daughters when they were about 5 and 6, and we're going back this year again, along with out new son in law. There's lots to do, including great beaches, a small zoo, the butterfly farm, a zip line and many choices for boat trips for the day. We like that is not quite as Americanized as some of the islands. We own at Divi and like it, but there are several timeshares to choose from. None are Marriott quality, but fine for family vacations.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Does anyone have any info on Grand Cayman? Anyone traveled in the last couple of years that can give advice on how expensive it is or not.
Cyn

I went to Grand Cayman a few years ago. We stayed at the Westin (not a timeshare). We got to swim with the stingrays, it was great. I'm sure the kids would love that. There is a botanical garden and a national park for hiking. The diving is great (I only snorkeled). I think there is also a turtle hatchery?Check out trip advisor for things to do. I have a few pictures posted from my visit from a few years ago at shutterfly:

https://rncollins.shutterfly.com/

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to Grand Cayman a few years ago. We stayed at the Westin (not a timeshare). We got to swim with the stingrays, it was great. I'm sure the kids would love that. There is a botanical garden and a national park for hiking. The diving is great (I only snorkeled). I think there is also a turtle hatchery?Check out trip advisor for things to do. I have a few pictures posted from my visit from a few years ago at shutterfly:

https://rncollins.shutterfly.com/
Wow thanks so much for all the information. I think we are narrowing it to Saint Maarten, Aruba and Grand Cayman. Last time I visited Grand Cayman ( it was a long time ago) it seemed to be more expensive for food etc. Is there anyone who stayed in a timeshare that can share their experience and costs for food and activities. We have found that Aruba and Saint Marteen's food prices and meals are around 20%-25% over US. What are your experiences.
Does anyone have any other good websites I can share with them for Aruba, Saint Marteen and Grand Cayman.

RNCollins-Could you give me an idea of how expensive the Westin is or were I can check it out?
Thanks so much!
Cyn

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cyn,
The Westin wasn't cheap. I don't remember how much we spent but we booked through Liberty Travel. Here's a link for the Westin in Grand Cayman:
http://www.westingrandcayman.com/accommodations/

Here's a popular forum for St Maarten. You might be able to get some of your questions answered there:
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=stmartin

Here's a site and forum about Aruba:
http://www.aruba.com/forum/

Hi thank you guys so much for all the information and Carol your pictures help a lot. If others would like to share their pictures I would appreciate it. I have the family going thru the information this weekend. So if you have any other ideas please share and I will pass it on.

Lou

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote is for Grand Cayman. We went about 5 years ago, stayed at Morritts and loved it there. As previously mentioned, they have the fun swim with the Stingrays. Also, the turtle farm was very interesting and fun. The Botanical gardens with the endangered blue iguana was beautiful. And the kids and adults both would love Rum Point. We found it to be fairly expensive, about the same as any other Caribbean island.