• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Postage Going Up Again

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's snowballing further and further. More correspondence and transactions are taken out of physical post, USPS doesn't change its operations model, they have to increase postage higher and higher.

I'd say, on average, we get 10 bills and 200 pieces of junk mail in a month. I get maybe 3 XMas cards a year and haven't received a handritten letter in as long as I can remember.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Remember, when you say it's going up again, it's going back to what it had been for a long time. There was a reduction in price for awhile.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, when you say it's going up again, it's going back to what it had been for a long time. There was a reduction in price for awhile.

That was due to a temporary measure by Congress expiring, wasn't it? I may vaguely remember the story, or not.

ETA: Found it! It was their regulator that had allowed a temporary increase because of the recession, then required USPS to drop back down 2 cents, losing an estimated $2B in revenue starting last April.

I also found out that the last time postage decreased before that was 1919.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another increase ... over 4%. Guess I will buy a couple of rolls tomorrow.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Rates will increase on Sunday, January 22nd, 2017

Richard

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm always amazed that I slap a 50 cent stamp (give or take) on a letter and someone carries it all the way across the country in two or three days.

To shave $$ off of our budget, we cut out cable (saved $120/month) and a few years ago I stopped treating myself to Starbucks (saved $90 per month). I bet I spend about $40 per year on postage (mostly Christmas cards). I'll be sad the day it goes away.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am going out tomorrow to get some. I definitely don't use as many as I did years ago.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We buy our stamps at Costco. I probably have enough to last me through several price changes.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We mailed about 50 actual Christmas cards last month.
I wonder if we could still get seasonal stamps for next Christmas.
I agree that, at ~$.50, delivery of our letters to where ever is a bargain.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm always amazed that I slap a 50 cent stamp (give or take) on a letter and someone carries it all the way across the country in two or three days.

To shave $$ off of our budget, we cut out cable (saved $120/month) and a few years ago I stopped treating myself to Starbucks (saved $90 per month). I bet I spend about $40 per year on postage (mostly Christmas cards). I'll be sad the day it goes away.

If you saw the process that a letter goes through from one end to the other, you'd be even more amazed. Yep, that's a bargain for $.50. Package services is the "new model" for now and into the future.....until teleportation catches on.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Post card stamps were less, are there still postcard stamps? Last time I sent a postcard was to my mother a year or so ago.
Silentg

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Post card stamps were less, are there still postcard stamps? Last time I sent a postcard was to my mother a year or so ago.
Silentg

Yes, and Post Card Stamps stay the same price at this time.

Richard

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent about 70 Christmas cards last year, including about a dozen international cards. I have many past seasons' forever stamps; I never actually purchased any new stamps for my 2016 cards.

Beyond Christmas cards, we may mail 3-6 non-packages throughout the year. At work, we're more likely to pay bills via check/mail, so maybe 6-12 things a month.

USPS was required under the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA) to prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in a single ten-year time span – a measure that was specifically designed to benefit the for-profit carriers in terms of their ability to compete with the USPS, since the for-profit carriers were not required to fulfill this significant financial burden.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I'd say, on average, we get 10 bills and 200 pieces of junk mail in a month. I get maybe 3 XMas cards a year and haven't received a handritten letter in as long as I can remember.

Speaking of...I actually received a HANDWRITTEN, 5-page letter today! I cannot remember the last time I got one, but I'll bet it's been about 8 years. And ya know what? I sat down with a cup of tea and thoroughly enjoyed the tactile experience of reading a real letter.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I get just a few XMAS cards now and I actually stopped sending them many years ago. I get no letters, maybe one birthday card, mostly junk mail. Everything comes via email.

Oh, and I get maybe one telephone call per week, if that.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
USPS does a decent shop on delivering packages from online retail stores. USPS is cheaper than FedX & UPS in this area.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You folks are still mailing stuff??

Yes ... as required by the law for stuff which must be sent with proof of service (not that anyone signs for legal letters .. but proof I sent it certified mail and regular mail).

And I rather get checks than have a money transfer to my bank account reversed 29 days after 'I THINK' I got paid. (PS I sometimes still go directly to the originating bank and cash a check at their counter ... I rather get a USPS money order).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You folks are still mailing stuff??

We have to mail our personal-home HOA fees twice a year.
It's a small outfit and they don't do direct-deposit or CC's.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Ha! Bought postage Friday. Saved a whopping $2.00... Woo-Hoo!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ha! Bought postage Friday. Saved a whopping $2.00... Woo-Hoo!

I bought 3 "books". Didn't books used to have 25 stamps? Now there are 20 per "book.

Anyway, I am happy to save even just the few bucks. Sometimes I am looking for just a few bucks in my wallet and I don't have any.

And I return our bottles and cans also. That usually gives me at least $3 or $4.