• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disclaimer on Vistana Online Search

J&JFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I never noticed this before and it has been there all along, but I recently noticed this disclaimer at the bottom of the Vistana Online Availability Search Tool:

The updated Villa Resort Availability Finder can now recognize most ownership types, however, certain ownership types do not have access.

Reservations are subject to all ownership rules and usage rights, and results will vary based on your ownership type. Results reflect near real-time availability. Ownership availability is separate from nightly rental inventory. For questions regarding your usage rights or to make a reservation, call Owner Services.

Does anyone know exactly what this means? I assume that it does not allow some (5 star elite owners perhaps) to see availability that others cannot see, but I am not sure.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, for the most part, it says that online searches may produce inaccurate availability results...:eek:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside, my interpretation is:

First sentence, online search engine recognizes all owners but some results cannot be reserved unless you own that phase/season.

Second sentence, blah, blah, blah, our results are inaccurate, blah, blah, blah.

Wow, the Malbec I am having is good stuff...:D

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Maybe I never noticed this before and it has been there all along, but I recently noticed this disclaimer at the bottom of the Vistana Online Availability Search Tool:

The updated Villa Resort Availability Finder can now recognize most ownership types, however, certain ownership types do not have access.

Reservations are subject to all ownership rules and usage rights, and results will vary based on your ownership type. Results reflect near real-time availability. Ownership availability is separate from nightly rental inventory. For questions regarding your usage rights or to make a reservation, call Owner Services.

Does anyone know exactly what this means? I assume that it does not allow some (5 star elite owners perhaps) to see availability that others cannot see, but I am not sure.

I find it pretty straightforward...

Not ALL OWNERS have ownership types that are taken into account with the online booking system, but it does seems to cover majority of typical ownership types. IME - this is correct.
Example: I could imagine if I wanted to change my fixed WSJ-VGV to another week at 8-10 months out at WSJ-VGV (Owner period) - this likely would not be covered with the online booking system. Yet, my other weeks (WKORV, WPORV and WKV) work quite well. And imagine most types are also covered.

They are also reminding users that inventory shown represents that is open to the user, and may not reflective of all availability. Some here seem to over-interpret availability that they are seeing online - hear it somewhat frequently.

And then standard caveats...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding exchanging fixed WSJ-VGV to another week at 8-10 months out at WSJ-VGV (Owner period). In my case, I have seen Pool Villas during this period. I have gone the next step out of curiosity and the system has allowed me to start the reservation after checking I have the correct VOI to make the reservation. I have not gone through the last step, but IME, once you get to the last window where you enter number of guests you should be able to secure the reservation.

Perhaps this was a fluke and it may never happen again.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was just using VGV as a potential example - the point is that some ownership types are likely not covered by the online reservation, and that is part of their disclaimer (as it should be).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just using VGV as a potential example - the point is that some ownership types are likely not covered by the online reservation, and that is part of their disclaimer (as it should be).
Sorry, I misunderstood. I took the example literraly.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the whole thing is a message to the whiners. Why isn't any thing available but I see rooms available on expedia or other websites? Why isn't there anything available my friend looked on line and said there were Villas available (friend owns in different phase or is elite or is a deeded non SVN owner or friend is booking a home resort reservation and I am using SO's or flexoptions), etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, the problem goes far behind not understanding the reservation rules. Vistana is manipulating the inventory behind the scenes, and blocking owners from reserving their deeded season.

I was just talking to a Harborside owner who tried to get a Saturday reservation in her season and there was no availability at the second the reservation window opened - that should not be possible. When she called Owner Services the next day, she was told by the phone Rep. that Vistana had Saturday check-in blocked and she could only reserve Friday or Sunday.

Also - Vistana has not released any Ka'anapali or Harborside summer inventory at 8 mos. - that also should not be possible.

So I don't see it as a message to "whiners" - I think it's a CYA move by Vistana.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Isn't 'whiners' kind of harsh?

I do not need necessarily agree with the speculations of some because I have not experienced the issues as some. It is apparent that some inventory that should be available is not showing up at 12 and 8 months - but do not think there is anything neferous going on. There are likely many business and logistics issues going on. If it starts impacting our stays - I will be the first one lighting the torches.

As to the disclaimer - it is what it is. One thing... certainly a major improvement (in general) from the pre-online reservation days. Not saying there cannot be improvements, because there can be - so no shade please as YMMV and likely does.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Also - Vistana has not released any Ka'anapali or Harborside summer inventory at 8 mos. - that also should not be possible.

It is very possible, and in fact, it is likely.

WKORV does not have seasons; any owner can reserve any week (except 51 and 52). Summer weeks are popular. Owners can reserve at the 8-12 month mark. There is nothing preventing owners from reserving all of the summer weeks at the 8-12 month mark.

It is true that availability is created when owners trade out -- via StarOptions, Interval, or by requesting hotel points -- but that doesn't necessarily translate into summer weeks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Past history does not support your theory -

1) There has ALWAYS been summer availability on Maui and at Harborside since the resorts opened, but there is zero available in 2017. That means it's all blocked out.

2) Last year, Starwood did the same thing - instead of releasing summer inventory at 8 mos., they held it back until 5 or 6 mos. before check-in and released it all on one day.

Clearly, that's not in accordance with the rules.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Past history does not support your theory -

1) There has ALWAYS been summer availability on Maui and at Harborside since the resorts opened, but there is zero available in 2017. That means it's all blocked out.

I used to be able to perform II instant exchanges into WKORV 2-bedroom lockoffs using 1-bedroom mainland traders, but those days are clearly long gone. The economy is quite a bit different now than it was then, and lots more people have money to travel to Hawaii. Lack of inventory at the 8-month mark does not necessarily mean it has been blocked out.

2) Last year, Starwood did the same thing - instead of releasing summer inventory at 8 mos., they held it back until 5 or 6 mos. before check-in and released it all on one day.

Clearly, that's not in accordance with the rules.

Vistana could clearly do a better job with transparency -- and I would encourage it. But even this example doesn't prove anything nefarious. Vistana is certainly permitted to hold back inventory from the SVN for a variety of purposes. For instance, if a maintenance project affecting occupancy was anticipated, I would certainly expect Vistana to set aside the inventory after Home Resort owners make their reservations and before opening it up to the SVN.

Clearly you and I are both speculating, and I tend to give more benefit of the doubt to Vistana when it comes to these sorts of things. But I think it's helpful for both possibilities to be represented. Neither one of us can prove we are right :)

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
The economy is quite a bit different now than it was then, and lots more people have money to travel to Hawaii.

I certainly agree with this. We began going to WKORVN five years ago, always in the first week of January, and we comment every time on how much busier it has gotten. Vistana is selling something from that sales center (and Nanea just started) so I'm sure the number of owners is increasing and the ability of those owners to get to Maui is increasing. StarOptions trading is nice, but we bought our first TS in Maui for a reason - to be able to reserve any 12 months and get exactly what we want. Resale, of course.