• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 Dividend Investing Tips That Could Earn You Thousands

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
3 Dividend Investing Tips That Could Earn You Thousands - by Tyler Crowe, The Motley Fool/ Investing/ Stocks/ Money/ Time/ time.com

"Look for dividend aristocrats.

Do you have dreams of earning thousands with your portfolio? You’re not the only one. Over the years, great investors have proven that fantastic returns can be made in the market using very different strategies. One method that has shown to be very effective, and one that almost anyone can use, is to invest in high-quality dividend stocks. These stocks that hand you a cash payment every quarter can be helpful in supplementing your income in retirement, or they can be reinvested and become a huge driver of future returns for you.

One component of this strategy is to buy great dividend-paying companies that will continue to pay you in increasing amounts quarter in, quarter out. The big challenge is to find those great stocks...."

Richard

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
3 Dividend Investing Tips That Could Earn You Thousands - by Tyler Crowe, The Motley Fool/ Investing/ Stocks/ Money/ Time/ time.com

Do you have dreams of earning thousands with your portfolio? You’re not the only one. Over the years, great investors have proven that fantastic returns can be made in the market using very different strategies. One method that has shown to be very effective, and one that almost anyone can use, is to invest in high-quality dividend stocks. These stocks that hand you a cash payment every quarter can be helpful in supplementing your income in retirement, or they can be reinvested and become a huge driver of future returns for you.

One component of this strategy is to buy great dividend-paying companies that will continue to pay you in increasing amounts quarter in, quarter out. The big challenge is to find those great stocks...."

Richard

Far better than limiting to Aristocrats, see the US Dividends ("CCC list") at dripinvesting DOT org under "Info/Tools/Forms"

It is updated monthly.

I am a dividend investor of 25+ years with the goal of dividends replacing my salary. I am within 10 years of accomplishing that. Starting early with small amounts helps more than large amounts later as the compounding takes many years to show the magnitudes of wealth accumulation.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started years ago

Originally started investing in 2nd mortgages which 45 years ago paid an average of 10% and kept reinvesting. My broker took insurance on them which we had to use one time. After about 8 years I was bringing in more on these then take home pay from my job. The broker I used passed away and 2nds seemed to become riskier while paying less interest so I switched to stocks and mostly dividend paying.
Still have and keep increasing stocks mainly thru dividend reinvestment.
We live debt free having paid off houses 10 years early on first, 15 years early on the second and never had a house payment where we live now as we constantly bought up.
I believe in inheritage and our kids will get to follow us and enjoy the benefits of investing early and smart investing.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great stories and experiences to aspire to!

Thank you both for sharing!!!

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Only problem with DRIPs is when you sell- the cost basis can be difficult. We had shares with a DRIP for years and when we went to sell the admin had changed and wouldn't calculate cost basis on the older shares. Luckily I had kept all records of reinvestment over the years and we paid an accountant to do it but it was a headache. With splits and frequent reinvestment a of dividends it was quite confusing.

Bottom line don't rely on the administrator to keep your records- save all the paperwork (or e-mails nowadays).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like Wyndham

Buy enough of the stock and the dividends will pay your timeshares maintenance fees

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
My thoughts here are based on my experience as a Canadian...and may be somewhat different from the USA.

I believe in Dividend Aristocrats for registered as well as non-registered investment plans. There are many great stocks that not only paid dividends every year, they have increased them every year...like JNJ...even through recessions!

You'll also need a non-registered plan when the registered plan runs out if you live past 85 or so. DRIPs seem to work better in registered plans (less buy/sell calculations) but you need enough available cash flow in the registered account to cover the monthly mandatory withdrawals after age 71.

Another important check is to research which of these Aristocrats did not cut, reduce or stand still on dividend amounts during the 'great recession' in 2007-8.

JMHO

Brian

Last edited:

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I like derivatives, and sitting back and collecting on Theta (Premium Time) decay. Playing stocks if you buy you have to be right or loose money, if you short stock if your wrong you loose money plus margin interest. But playing options on equities gives you a chance to set up your portfolio to have little to no effect based on market swings just keep your delta (1 to 1 relation of portfolio to market) as close to zero as possible. And you can be wrong on your assumption and still make money.

Example if AAPL is selling for $105.79 you could by 100 shares for $10,579 and if AAPL goes up you make money. If it stays the same you loose nothing basically, but if it goes down you loose money. So if I was interested in AAPL and was considering buying it. I would normally just sell a naked put. if I sell the nearest out of the money naked put for AAPL with a 35 -55 days to expiration 105 P Sept EXP. I would collect around $253.00 If apple goes up or stays the same I make $253.00 if AAPL goes down. It would have to go from its current price of $105.79 all the way to 102.47 before I loose money (Strike Price of 105 minus option price of 2.53 per share I all ready collected.) If I like AAPL at 105.79 I am still going to like it if I get put the stock, so I give up the unlimited opportunity upside potential for the higher probability of success. Then normally I will put a call spread on something else to reduce my delta exposure since the put creates a positive delta position.

When earnings come out you can set up all kinds of trades around the binary event of earnings announcements that allow you to take advantages of the equity if it goes up or down or moves in your assumed direction and magnatude. Because options prices swell right before earnings and generally collapse from vega (volatility) decay as soon as announcement comes out.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only problem with DRIPs is when you sell- the cost basis can be difficult. We had shares with a DRIP for years and when we went to sell the admin had changed and wouldn't calculate cost basis on the older shares. Luckily I had kept all records of reinvestment over the years and we paid an accountant to do it but it was a headache. With splits and frequent reinvestment a of dividends it was quite confusing.

Bottom line don't rely on the administrator to keep your records- save all the paperwork (or e-mails nowadays).

we have been reinvesting since 1975. Each year after taxes are submitted, i add the dividends I had to claim on my tax return to the cost basis of the stock. The most confusing time was when Commonwealth Edison went to Exelon for cash and stock. That was a mess to figure out.

Of course any reinvesting done through brokerage firms is automatically updated.

In 1975 I bought Southern company 200 shares. for a few years there was a tax exemption for utility stock dividends. We reinvested and sold the original shares when the exemption was up. But I kept the reinvested dividends off the original 200 shares and kept reinvesting them. About three years ago, I realized that I was paying taxes on about $6000 in dividends (and not using them). I decided to gift some of the stock, and gave away about 60 thousand dollars to grandkids. The remaining stock is still about $150,000. I think reinvesting dividends is a really good option.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
no question re investing dividends is a great way to build wealth, but there comes a time for many when you have to use those dividends. I really like the combination strategy of writing options on dividend paying stocks for income.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep high dividend stocks tax sheltered

Many people have ira's or 401 plans. For those it may be much better to have their dividend stocks tax protected in these plans and have their non dividend growth stocks in taxable accounts. Avoid the unnecessary one way trip to Washington via taxes. Makes a huge difference over the years and tax preparation could be easier.

geekette

Reaction score
Many people have ira's or 401 plans. For those it may be much better to have their dividend stocks tax protected in these plans and have their non dividend growth stocks in taxable accounts. Avoid the unnecessary one way trip to Washington via taxes. Makes a huge difference over the years and tax preparation could be easier.

Since I don't own non-div growth stocks, I have divs in retirement shelters and taxable portfolio. Tax prep is not an issue, 1099s are generated. On a sale, the brokerage would supply basis and one can calculate that themselves easy enough.

In the 20+ years I have had taxable div stocks, I have never once paid the tax from the brokerage account so paying tax on a div received doesn't exactly reduce my stock position. I simply handle all tax issues at tax return time and settle up with Uncle Sam. I'm not sure that cap gains tax is a smoother pill to swallow, and certainly not on a short term hold.

It is of course smart to consider the tax implications but I would not allow it to dictate how I invest. Just me. Same as I have never turned down a pay raise that bumped me into higher tax bracket.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Richard

I'm 11 years out from hopefully retiring... This info is very helpful.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Keep high dividend stocks tax sheltered
Many people have IRA's or 401 plans. For those it may be much better to have their dividend stocks tax protected in these plans and have their non dividend growth stocks in taxable accounts.

Agreed.
About half my equities are in div-specific ETF's which I keep in a Roth IRA
... no tax on distributions or gains.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know this sounds stupid, but how do you find the high dividend stocks?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
[H]ow do you find the high dividend stocks?

This will sound simplistic, but here's what I do... Read & Screen.
I get ideas from investment sites: Kiplinger, Morningstar, MSN Money, Seeking Alpha, US News, Zacks...
I also use my broker's screener to select ETF's with a focus on dividends, good returns and low fees.

After gathering a lengthy list of candidates, I plug their stats into a formula to rank 'em.
As I said above, I use ETF's becuz they provide instant safety in numbers.

<YMMV>

geekette

Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid, but how do you find the high dividend stocks?
This does not at all sound stupid, given how many thousands of public companies pay dividends. Throwing darts won't get er done.

If you go to the dripinvesting dot org I listed above, you can see the published yield and so much more to help you select companies. The nice thing about the CCC list is that it tracks companies that have increased their div rate every year for many consecutive years (div rate = dividend per share). Do not be overwhelmed by the spreadsheet, as it has A Lot of info that you might not be into trying to make sense of immediately, but many of the leftmost columns will be most helpful immediately. It is updated monthly.

Yield is the metric you are looking for - copied from Investopedia:
Stock Yields
In regards to a stock, there are two stock dividend yields. If you buy a stock for $30 (cost basis) and its current price and annual dividend are $33 and $1, respectively, the cost yield will be 3.3% ($1/$30) and the current yield will be 3% ($1/$33).

Some people would define high yield as yielding above SP500, if you desire a rule of thumb. I will guess that is in the 2-2.5% range currently but I don't really pay attention to it. Do note that really high yield can be a warning but it might just be a screaming bargain. If a company is currently not in favor, price can depress, which increases yield. This is naturally so because the metric is dependent upon the price. Macy's is yielding just over 5% right now, and I consider that high yield for that company. It is in disfavor currently and could be seriously on the ropes in a another couple years. Apple, by contrast, is yielding under 2%, fairly normal for this company, which I consider to be quite durable over the long term.

I would urge you to focus on the financials and strength of the company vs trying to get highest dividend possible. That said, starting with the CCC gives you A Lot of candidates to choose from. If you stick with the Champions tab, you have at your fingertips the cream of the crop. The most recent raise column could astound you, if, like me, div raises are higher than your last many job raises. It can be a lovely surprise to get a raise above 20%, which is somewhat rare but I've had several in the last few years, and otherwise plenty of dbl digit raises. More normal across my companies is 3-5% annual but I welcome even 1% (I think that was last PG raise). Utilities generally don't grant large raises, in my experience, but I consider them steady eddies as no matter the economic climate, people are going to use water, electricity, gas. I do not yet consider telecom to be utilities but some people do consider ATT and Verizon to be utes. I don't lump them together because the regulatory bodies are much different than for traditional utes.

Just please don't fall into the trap of thinking past indicates future because it doesn't. The Champions tab shows companies with a couple decades of raises and many of these companies have made shareholders a priority so lends a bit of extra confidence that what goes up will keep going up, but there are no guarantees. Things change, divs can cut or suspend. Yes, this has happened with a very few of my companies over the years, and at least 2 of those I bought after filling my portfolio with blue chips; I knew the risks of speculating so not a crisis by any means. No bankruptcy in sight, they just needed to keep the cash vs share it. Whatever you invest in, do monitor it. The higher quality of company you own, the better you will sleep. Don't over-monitor, tho, as that can increase your stress ; )

Ask anything you want, there are no stupid questions, and I understand that investing can be complicated and scary. I forget that since I've been at it a while and have largely removed emotion from it for myself, but I understand others still get very nervous when the market corrects or even mild price decrease after they have bought. Dipping a toe into investing directly in a company vs funds can feel daunting, but, honestly, it isn't, and in fact I find it a lot of fun and indeed put my money where my mouth is, by owning a lot of food-related companies. Again, no matter the economic climate, people gotta eat. They will also keep buying toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. It took me years to get Kimberly-Clark at a decent valuation but I am now very happy to have PG, Colgate-Palmolive and KMB, what I consider the grand trio of consumer staples.

Good investing to you!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can not thank you enough for this very valuable info and data below....

This does not at all sound stupid, given how many thousands of public companies pay dividends. Throwing darts won't get er done.

If you go to the dripinvesting dot org I listed above, you can see the published yield and so much more to help you select companies. The nice thing about the CCC list is that it tracks companies that have increased their div rate every year for many consecutive years (div rate = dividend per share). Do not be overwhelmed by the spreadsheet, as it has A Lot of info that you might not be into trying to make sense of immediately, but many of the leftmost columns will be most helpful immediately. It is updated monthly.

Yield is the metric you are looking for - copied from Investopedia:
Stock Yields
In regards to a stock, there are two stock dividend yields. If you buy a stock for $30 (cost basis) and its current price and annual dividend are $33 and $1, respectively, the cost yield will be 3.3% ($1/$30) and the current yield will be 3% ($1/$33).

Some people would define high yield as yielding above SP500, if you desire a rule of thumb. I will guess that is in the 2-2.5% range currently but I don't really pay attention to it. Do note that really high yield can be a warning but it might just be a screaming bargain. If a company is currently not in favor, price can depress, which increases yield. This is naturally so because the metric is dependent upon the price. Macy's is yielding just over 5% right now, and I consider that high yield for that company. It is in disfavor currently and could be seriously on the ropes in a another couple years. Apple, by contrast, is yielding under 2%, fairly normal for this company, which I consider to be quite durable over the long term.

I would urge you to focus on the financials and strength of the company vs trying to get highest dividend possible. That said, starting with the CCC gives you A Lot of candidates to choose from. If you stick with the Champions tab, you have at your fingertips the cream of the crop. The most recent raise column could astound you, if, like me, div raises are higher than your last many job raises. It can be a lovely surprise to get a raise above 20%, which is somewhat rare but I've had several in the last few years, and otherwise plenty of dbl digit raises. More normal across my companies is 3-5% annual but I welcome even 1% (I think that was last PG raise). Utilities generally don't grant large raises, in my experience, but I consider them steady eddies as no matter the economic climate, people are going to use water, electricity, gas. I do not yet consider telecom to be utilities but some people do consider ATT and Verizon to be utes. I don't lump them together because the regulatory bodies are much different than for traditional utes.

Just please don't fall into the trap of thinking past indicates future because it doesn't. The Champions tab shows companies with a couple decades of raises and many of these companies have made shareholders a priority so lends a bit of extra confidence that what goes up will keep going up, but there are no guarantees. Things change, divs can cut or suspend. Yes, this has happened with a very few of my companies over the years, and at least 2 of those I bought after filling my portfolio with blue chips; I knew the risks of speculating so not a crisis by any means. No bankruptcy in sight, they just needed to keep the cash vs share it. Whatever you invest in, do monitor it. The higher quality of company you own, the better you will sleep. Don't over-monitor, tho, as that can increase your stress ; )

Ask anything you want, there are no stupid questions, and I understand that investing can be complicated and scary. I forget that since I've been at it a while and have largely removed emotion from it for myself, but I understand others still get very nervous when the market corrects or even mild price decrease after they have bought. Dipping a toe into investing directly in a company vs funds can feel daunting, but, honestly, it isn't, and in fact I find it a lot of fun and indeed put my money where my mouth is, by owning a lot of food-related companies. Again, no matter the economic climate, people gotta eat. They will also keep buying toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. It took me years to get Kimberly-Clark at a decent valuation but I am now very happy to have PG, Colgate-Palmolive and KMB, what I consider the grand trio of consumer staples.

Good investing to you!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Vanguard ETFs, Dividend Yield. (e.g. VTI) Low management fees (this is important IMO)