• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We, too, endorse USA Transfers...and also Canada transfers. Our experience suggests that the vehicles are a bit newer and nicer at Canada Transfers.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There has to be some pricing errors or something on Orbitz. Checking prices for our 14 day trip, there are some rates showing $0 per day. Some others are $1 and $2. Are they thinking you will take the CDW and they make their money on that? I don't see rates even close to this when looking on the direct car company websites.

One think I read, if you don't take their CDW and instead rely on your own credit card coverage, they may place a large hold against your card to cover any potential damage.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
There has to be some pricing errors or something on Orbitz. Checking prices for our 14 day trip, there are some rates showing $0 per day. Some others are $1 and $2. Are they thinking you will take the CDW and they make their money on that?

One think I read, if you don't take their CDW and instead rely on your own credit card coverage, they may place a large hold against your card to cover any potential damage.

Yup, crazy eh? 6 day rental for $7 haha. Not just orbitz, travelocity and others to. I'm going to call back tomorrow and ask what's the cost with all the insurance. Only really need it for 1 day.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, crazy eh? 6 day rental for $7 haha.
I'm going to call back tomorrow and ask what's the cost with all the insurance. Only really need it for 1 day.
And drive both ways to the airport. Save $ on the round trip.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It looks like Avis has a location in La Isla. There is also Economy Rental Car somewhere close. Lagunamar is at km 12.5 and Economy is at km 11.5 in Flamingo Plaza.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Uber definitely not. We saw many signs stating Uber was illegal. No idea about Lyft.
Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Illegal must be a taxi union thing, local to Cancun or Qunitana Roo. We were in Merida in early December, and Uber was active there. We used it one evening.

Scotten

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Avis has a location in La Isla. There is also Economy Rental Car somewhere close. Lagunamar is at km 12.5 and Economy is at km 11.5 in Flamingo Plaza.

For what it's worth, I made a reservation with Avis the night before I need a car at the La Isla location. When I showed up the next morning, I was told that I had to walk 20 minutes south to get the car from another Avis facility. :confused:

I walked back to Lagunmar and overpaid from the Dollar guy in the lobby. I needed the car immediately and I didn't have time to wander around.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For what it's worth, I made a reservation with Avis the night before I need a car at the La Isla location. When I showed up the next morning, I was told that I had to walk 20 minutes south to get the car from another Avis facility. :confused:

I walked back to Lagunmar and overpaid from the Dollar guy in the lobby. I needed the car immediately and I didn't have time to wander around.
That is good to know. I certainly wouldn't be please to show up to no car. My guess is that this location gets its cars from other locations in Cancun and only maintains enough availability to cover reservations that were made. Since yours was last minute, they didn't have enough time to get the car there to fill the reservation before you showed up.

We are still up in the air on if we will rent a car for our trip. We are in Cancun 14 days. Adding CDW and full insurance is another $25 a day. It doesn't make that $3 a day car quite so cheap.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to rent for all 14 days.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

That is good to know. I certainly wouldn't be please to show up to no car. My guess is that this location gets its cars from other locations in Cancun and only maintains enough availability to cover reservations that were made. Since yours was last minute, they didn't have enough time to get the car there to fill the reservation before you showed up.

We are still up in the air on if we will rent a car for our trip. We are in Cancun 14 days. Adding CDW and full insurance is another $25 a day. It doesn't make that $3 a day car quite so cheap.
Funny thing is I had the opposite experience with them. I walked over they said oh you booked at the other one, we'll transfer the reservation. On my way 15 mind later while crying inside at the poor walkin that came in behind me and paid 5x what I did.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Illegal must be a taxi union thing, local to Cancun or Qunitana Roo. We were in Merida in early December, and Uber was active there. We used it one evening.

Unfortunately, we took what we saw at face value. There were taxi, trucks, etc with signage all over them stating Uber was not allowed in Mexico. I bought into there message without checking it out.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we took what we saw at face value. There were taxi, trucks, etc with signage all over them stating Uber was not allowed in Mexico. I bought into there message without checking it out.

https://www.uber.com/cities/cancun/

I think the signs are meant by taxi drivers to dissuade tourists from using Uber. Apparently it's pretty effective.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You don't have to rent for all 14 days.
True. We were originally hoping that we could get it for all 17 days to also save the cost of roundtrip transfers. However, we may just rent for the one day we drive to Tulum. However, all things I have read about Tulum, is that the cops there are worse for pulling over unsuspecting tourists than other places like Playa del Carmen and Cancun.

elleny76

Reaction score
We, too, endorse USA Transfers...and also Canada transfers. Our experience suggests that the vehicles are a bit newer and nicer at Canada Transfers.
USA transfers for us! $57 roundtrip Airport -Cancun Cancun-airport Just on time, no problems at all. Our CC got charged when we got in the van (private van ). We will travel with them again and again. Thanks Tugbbs friends for this awesome advice in transportation.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Yup, the taxis are soooo much safer

Asking a question, my first time being down there so an honest answer would be appreciated. I guess I can take your sarcastic remark that uber is just as safe as taxi's than.

blondietink

Reaction score
From our experience, the taxi drivers are just plain crazy ..... take your life in your hands kind of crazy. But, not as crazy as the public bus drivers, lol.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Asking a question, my first time being down there so an honest answer would be appreciated. I guess I can take your sarcastic remark that uber is just as safe as taxi's than.
I would think driver training and vehicle quality is equal

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From our experience, the taxi drivers are just plain crazy ..... take your life in your hands kind of crazy. But, not as crazy as the public bus drivers, lol.
We have used the taxis many times. Never had any problems like that.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
For us using the public transit was fun. We don't have any public transit were we live and this is the first time we didn't rent a car. We didn't find it too crowded, it was cheap, never more than a couple minute wait and never any concern with our safety.

For all you veterans, what kind of trading value does a 2 bedroom lockout have within II?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We took taxis, cheaper than transfer services and were never worried about their driving. That being said other parts of Mexico we have visited on other trips,
we had terrifying taxi drivers. I would not hesitate to use taxis in Cancun.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you bank your weeks with Lagunamar? I think I read that you can't?

I thought this was a given but I don't know what I don't know, lol.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk