• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Companion Pass is back. Get it quick. [Deadline 3/31/17]

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
i can't find the 5 night travel packages on the MVC website. I know i found it the other day but it seems to be difficult to find.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would be able to use the 110,000 RR for future travel. The 110,000 is the threshold you must earn in order to qualify for the companion pass.
I didn't realize this because I never flew Southwest that much. That makes this a no brainer now that Southwest is starting to fly from CVG. I wish I hadn't already booked our flights for my trips for the rest of 2017, except one way CVG to DEN in September. I'll plan my trips for 2018 for SW destinations. Thanks for the clarification.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
First thanks to the OP and others for the info about the Southwest companion pass and Marriott travel packages. I originally thought DH and I wouldn't be able to use the companion pass much, but on 2nd consideration it is definitely better than getting airline miles on other airlines such as United or American etc, so we're going to initiate getting the companion pass before the March deadline.

We want to use the Marriott hotel certificate in London in spring 2018. Looking at the London Marriotts, the ones we like are category 8 hotels. My question is, should we get the Cat 1-5 certificate and upgrade next year, or get the Cat 8 one now?

What's the history been like of Marriott raising the point requirements for the travel packages or hotels? I sure can see the categories changing for some hotels.
Also unknown for 2018 are Marriott's plans to revamp their rewards program and how the travel packages may be affected.

I'm banking on that I'll be able to extend the hotel certificate next year because my intended use will be GT than 1 year. On FlyerTalk, several have said they were able to have the certificates extended another year by calling close to the certificate expiration date. Am I making a bad assumption about being able to extend?

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I didn't realize this because I never flew Southwest that much. That makes this a no brainer now that Southwest is starting to fly from CVG. I wish I hadn't already booked our flights for my trips for the rest of 2017, except one way CVG to DEN in September. I'll plan my trips for 2018 for SW destinations. Thanks for the clarification.
Yup, you are getting Southwest and we are losing them, here in Dayton. We never flew them that much anyway.

lhwhizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
First thanks to the OP and others for the info about the Southwest companion pass and Marriott travel packages. I originally thought DH and I wouldn't be able to use the companion pass much, but on 2nd consideration it is definitely better than getting airline miles on other airlines such as United or American etc, so we're going to initiate getting the companion pass before the March deadline.

We want to use the Marriott hotel certificate in London in spring 2018. Looking at the London Marriotts, the ones we like are category 8 hotels. My question is, should we get the Cat 1-5 certificate and upgrade next year, or get the Cat 8 one now?

What's the history been like of Marriott raising the point requirements for the travel packages or hotels? I sure can see the categories changing for some hotels.
Also unknown for 2018 are Marriott's plans to revamp their rewards program and how the travel packages may be affected.

I'm banking on that I'll be able to extend the hotel certificate next year because my intended use will be GT than 1 year. On FlyerTalk, several have said they were able to have the certificates extended another year by calling close to the certificate expiration date. Am I making a bad assumption about being able to extend?

Thanks!
When you call to upgrade the hotel cat. It will automatically extend for another year.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you call to upgrade the hotel cat. It will automatically extend for another year.

Ahhh, thanks! I am a starwood immigrant into Marriott rewards land :) Okay we'll get the base cat 1-5 then.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basics 101 on Southwest and companion pass. I work 10 mikes from Islip but live 15 miles from JFK so I rarely fly SWA. From what I have read on Tug and the internet, can someone validate what I think...

- if you earn 110k rapid reward points in a given year, you earn a companion pass.
- the companion pass is valid in the year you earn it and the following year
- when I fly, a companion can fly free with the companion pass.
- I can use a Marriott Travel Package that gets me 120k rapid reward points either with a 5 day or 7 day package at any level hotel I want (I have the MR points).
- as long as the package transfer it complete before 3/31/17 I will get the companion pass.

If this is the case, it seams like a no brainer.
questions
can the companion pass be used when yiu book a flight using Rapid Rewad points or only when tickets are paid for?
Is the companion pass good for any SWA ticket type?

Thanks in advance for your help.

One other thing to mention on the Companion Pass:

You must designate a "Companion," and that's the person who can fly free with you. You are allowed to change who you designate only a limited number of times over the life of the pass. I believe it's three times.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other thing to mention on the Companion Pass:

You must designate a "Companion," and that's the person who can fly free with you. You are allowed to change who you designate only a limited number of times over the life of the pass. I believe it's three times.
Per the terms and conditions you can change your companion 3 times per year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yup, you are getting Southwest and we are losing them, here in Dayton. We never flew them that much anyway.

My sister-in-law lives in Germantown, and she just informed me of this. I have given her several gift cards for Southwest, and now she cannot use them. Very disappointing. She is not able to travel before Southwest vacates Dayton's airport.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My sister-in-law lives in Germantown, and she just informed me of this. I have given her several gift cards for Southwest, and now she cannot use them. Very disappointing. She is not able to travel before Southwest vacates Dayton's airport.
It is only an extra half hour to CVG, so she could book some flights from there to use up the cards. My issues with CVG is that it is much larger than both DAY and CMH and parking is also much more expansive than the other two.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is only an extra half hour to CVG, so she could book some flights from there to use up the cards. My issues with CVG is that it is much larger than both DAY and CMH and parking is also much more expansive than the other two.
If you are flying an early flight on a weekend, check out the Park N Fly rates at hotels on weekends. I sometimes use the airport Marriott, which often has a P&F rate under $120. Since my house in north of Cincinnati, I'd prefer to get there the night before rather than risking delays or construction on I-75 South.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Just got off the phone with Marriott to do the exchange for the 5 day package cat 5 235,000 MRP. On call, I was told that Marriott is being inundated with Transfers for this. My guess is we will see point and fare increases but still the best use of MR points I have seen in recent years for anyone that has easy access to Southwest. I have Aruba in July, trying for Newport Beach in August and might squeeze a Ft Lauderdale in April. If I can't trade for Newport, I will use the 5 day stay at a Marriott. I priced out the trips using Jetblue and Southwest. Looking at all the trips as a package the costs are almost equal.. $2400. I would still have a couple of points left over with RRP.

Just as an FYI, Amx doesn't go to MRP but it transfers to Starwood at 3 Amx to 1 Starwood. Starwood goes 1 to 3 to MRP. So it becomes a 1 to 1 from Amx to MRP and the who;e process took a blink of an eye.

I posted that LI is having a local Marriott presentation for current owners in a couple of weeks. Choice of gifts are 300 or 50,000 MRP. Before this post I was signed up for 300. I now switched to 50,000 points.

Again, thanks to the OP and for all who contributed.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you convert MRP's into Rapid Rewards points for the Companion Pass, do you automatically get Southwest's A-List Preferred status, too?

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
If you convert MRP's into Rapid Rewards points for the Companion Pass, do you automatically get Southwest's A-List Preferred status, too?

Nope.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

She wouldn't want to park her car, and her elderly parents would not want to drive so far to drop her off. I can give her some hotel nights, so she could book a parking and hotel package. I will look into it. She wanted to know if I want those SW gift cards back. No, because we book all of our flights with points. We never pay for flights anymore, and now we have the Companion Pass, so we just cannot use the gift cards.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I moved to Dallas they offered me a challenge. Gave me A-list and a pretty easy challenge to earn it for the year. If you travel on business and can book business select, it is pretty easy to get.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
can anyone tell me what number to call for the Marriott reward 5 night packages?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
can anyone tell me what number to call for the Marriott reward 5 night packages?
1 801 468 4000 (8:15am - 9:00pm, Monday - Friday, US Eastern time)

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Per the terms and conditions you can change your companion 3 times per year.

Really? 3 times per year is great. I too quickly read it as 3 times per the entire duration of the companion pass period.
FWIW, if converting Starpoints to Marriot reward points, Starwood lets members of the same household transfer points without fee or max limit of points. Marriott charges $10 and max transfer is 50K points. Since DH and I decided it was best for me to be the primary traveler for the SW companion pass, he's transferring all of his starpoints to me, woohoo!:banana:

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm ready to do an exchange with our reward points for a travel package but think it might not be working out as good as I hoped. Our Marriott Rewards number is in my husband's name but I'm the one that wants the companion pass so I can designate my companion. I tend to travel more of the two of us and sometimes travel with girlfriends or sisters/daughter so it would be nice to have the option to change companion depending on who I am traveling with. Am i right in thinking that the name attached to Marriott reward number is the one that will need to be associated with the miles from the travel package and then be considered the owner of the companion pass?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm ready to do an exchange with our reward points for a travel package but think it might not be working out as good as I hoped. Our Marriott Rewards number is in my husband's name but I'm the one that wants the companion pass so I can designate my companion. I tend to travel more of the two of us and sometimes travel with girlfriends or sisters/daughter so it would be nice to have the option to change companion depending on who I am traveling with. Am i right in thinking that the name attached to Marriott reward number is the one that will need to be associated with the miles from the travel package and then be considered the owner of the companion pass?
You are correct. However, you should be able to transfer all the points from your husbands account to your MR account when you redeem the reward. They will want to talk to your husband when you do this, but there should be no problem getting all the points moved over to your MR account, then you can convert to the travel package award.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? 3 times per year is great. I too quickly read it as 3 times per the entire duration of the companion pass period.
:banana:

Yes....but keep in mind if you have multiple flights with companion A already scheduled, you need to cancel them if you change to B, then change back to A later on if needed and reschedule the flights.

How do I change my Companion Pass designation?

You can change your designated companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times each calendar year that you maintain Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing your designated Companion. You can designate a companion through My Account on Southwest.com, but to change your companion you must call 1-800-435-9792. Please allow 21 business days for processing.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
You are correct. However, you should be able to transfer all the points from your husbands account to your MR account when you redeem the reward. They will want to talk to your husband when you do this, but there should be no problem getting all the points moved over to your MR account, then you can convert to the travel package award.

One caution in doing that. If your husband has Lifetime status, he could lose it based on the number of points that are transferred from his account to yours. I know this for a fact as I briefly lost my Lifetime Gold status when I transferred 280,000 to my wife's account for a travel package. I went from Lifetime Gold to Lifetime Silver.