• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge Fires [Multiple threads merged.]

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How long will it take to re build a resort liked Westgate and the other resorts destroyed by fire in Tennessee?
Will their by a shortage of building materials and workers in Tennessee?

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Except poster is talking II not RCI. I have a DAE trade for Westgate Gatlinburg that is in the same situation.

I have already rebooked my January Tree Tops DAE exchange with another resort. DAE gives you a free future exchange.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
How long will it take to re build a resort liked Westgate and the other resorts destroyed by fire in Tennessee?
Will their by a shortage of building materials and workers in Tennessee?

I didn't see the news clip, but there was a teaser on the local station announcing that Westgate reopened today. They announced last week that they had to relocate the check-in from a destroyed building, but that otherwise all is well for the undamaged buildings. I'm surprised that anything is left based on the early news reports and pictures, but apparently enough of it survived for them to operate.

The building trades will be gainfully employed for the foreseeable future rebuilding these homes and businesses. Unfortunately, winter is not a great time to build things here.

Sheila

ricknhsv

Reaction score
Got this email from Tree Tops - nothing new in it:

Dear Tree Tops Homeowners:

Our thoughts and prayers are with all the guests and Sevier County residents that experienced the wild fires that swept through Sevier County on November 28th. The outpouring of concern from the Tree Tops owners has been overwhelming and we so appreciate each and every one of you and thank you for your concern. The magnitude of this tragedy is overwhelming and it will take time to rebuild.

It has taken some time for the authorities to assess each area and deem them safe to enter. We were allowed to go to the Resort last Friday and can now inform you that Buildings 4, 7, 8 and 9 were undamaged. Buildings 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and the tree lofts were completely burned.

We have met with the insurance adjuster and are in the process of obtaining analysis from various professional consultants in order to move forward with contracts to start the rebuilding process.

First priority is to secure the damaged area which will be completed in the next two days. Initial analysis of the buildings not damaged, which is being done by professional industrial hygienists, is that there is very limited soot or smoke and we are targeting to have guests checking into these 90 units within 90 days.

As plans are finalized and definite we will continue to update you through postings on the Resort Facebook page, Tree Tops Resort, email and mail. If you have received this information through the mail and would prefer to receive the future updates by email please contact the administrative offices either by listing your current email on your maintenance fee invoice or by calling 865-428-6039 ext. 12.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we deal with this tragedy.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Source: Interval International Website - January 2017

The resorts listed below are closed temporarily due to weather-related and/or unforeseen events. Interval representatives are attempting to contact members who have confirmed vacations in the affected areas.

Resort Name - Location - Resort Code

Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Club Chalet of Gatlinburg CCG
Fox Run Resort FXT
Gatlinberg Town Square GTS
Mountain Loft Resort (MN1) MNT
Tree Tops Resort of Gatlinburg TTR
River Terrace Resort & Co WRT
Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort WSM

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Source: Interval International Website - January 2017
The resorts listed below are closed temporarily due to weather-related and/or unforeseen events.

Gatlinburg Town Square is open for business. 12/21/16 -- GTS re-opened on Friday, December 16th! Some continued cleanup around the resort will be ongoing following the recent area wildfires. Should you have questions regarding your reservation, please contact the phone number found on your reservation confirmation."

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has been to visit since the fires. How is the park area?

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has been to visit since the fires. How is the park area?
I haven't been there lately but get local TV news from that part of TN and the local paper that covers the area.

Parts of the park are closed and others can be seen but are burned over. The park is HUGE so this really only affects a small percentage of what there is.

Most of the destruction is on the outskirts of Gatlinburg and almost nothing in Pigeon Forge, however people have the impression the place was nearly destroyed. You will see little evidence of the fire in the central tourist area of Gatlinburg and not much in Pigeon Forge. The area has been impacted financially by folks thinking everything has been destroyed. I think visitors will be especially welcome.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Most of the destruction is on the outskirts of Gatlinburg and almost nothing in Pigeon Forge, however people have the impression the place was nearly destroyed. You will see little evidence of the fire in the central tourist area of Gatlinburg and not much in Pigeon Forge. The area has been impacted financially by folks thinking everything has been destroyed. I think visitors will be especially welcome.

My DW is very grateful that the Tanger Outlet at Five Oaks was not affected.
We are required to make an annual pilgrimage there and to Christmas Place.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
It appears from their Facebook page that Laurel Point Resort is back in business, though the office and Building A burned to the ground.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Tree Tops Resort has reopened and the loft units are being rebuilt. Four of the large buildings were also gutted by the fire and will have to be reconstructed. All of the buildings will have elevators when they are completed.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
My DW is very grateful that the Tanger Outlet at Five Oaks was not affected.
We are required to make an annual pilgrimage there and to Christmas Place.

We drove up to Dollywood a few weeks ago with our usual stop at the Apple Barn for apple doughnuts. We saw no signs of the fire on the route, so the Outlets are ready and waiting for you.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tree Tops Resort has reopened and the loft units are being rebuilt. Four of the large buildings were also gutted by the fire and will have to be reconstructed. All of the buildings will have elevators when they are completed.

I've always been happy with our ownership at Tree Tops. We bought there in the 90s. The resort has been well managed and maintenance fee increases have been very modest. I was ready to list my two weeks right before the fires, just because we have more timeshare weeks than we can use, but waited to see how we would come out after the fires. It looks like we are going to own a practically brand new resort with no special assessments. I also expect demand will be high for a while until everything in the area gets rebuilt. One of our weeks is in the pedestal units, which are being replaced first. They are like stand-alone cottages. I'm sorry that I had already deposited my 2017 weeks with RCI. I could have probably rented them for a nice sum this year. Now I just need to decide what to sell instead. Too many weeks and too little vacation time.

Sheila

Mr U

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aulani
Vero Beach
I am looking to possibly purchase a 1 or 2 BR TS unit there...or Gatlinburg area...does anyone know if there will be a special assessment due to the fire?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am looking to possibly purchase a 1 or 2 BR TS unit there...or Gatlinburg area...does anyone know if there will be a special assessment due to the fire?

Quoting: "[W]e are going to own a practically brand new resort with no special assessments."
It's likely all rebuilding costs were covered by insurance... (as was water-damage in my own home last year).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quoting: "[W]e are going to own a practically brand new resort with no special assessments."
It's likely all rebuilding costs were covered by insurance... (as was water-damage in my own home last year).

Thanks for sharing this information. That is great news for all owners and you.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am in Gatlinburg now.
While there are visible signs of the fire, it's mostly business as usual.
Tourists are back in full-force. The Downtown area is chock-full of 'em.
Sugarlands Visitor Center was a madhouse with traffic tie-ups.

There are patches of burned trees, particularly on the West side.
There are some houses missing and reconstruction is in process.
Our resort (GTS) has minor repairs pending, but is fully operational.

The trees will take a long-time, but otherwise, it's 90% recovered.
I'd say, if you didn't know what happened, it might not occur to you.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have updated information on Mountain Loft Resort?
Cyn

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
It hasn't been on the media yet, but local talk, including pictures and video on Facebook, saying one of the buildings at Westgate in Gatlinburg is on fire.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
It hasn't been on the media yet, but local talk, including pictures and video on Facebook, saying one of the buildings at Westgate in Gatlinburg is on fire.

Screen shot from Facebook
c07d28f236c360f2c8b2156b4772ee3c.jpg

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm going to put my post on this in a new thread, as it's not related to the 2016 fires.