• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hacienda Del Mar - 1st Trip to Los Cabos

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a one bedroom unit on hold with RCI Extra Vacations for mid-November. I've researched reviews, costs, etc. and have some questions because this is my first trip to Los Cabos, although I have been to several other locations in Mexico. I've learned that meals at the resort are good but pricey and the optional AI fee is a whopping $129 USD per person. We prefer a light breakfast and lunch prepared in our unit and then go out for dinner. How feasible would it be to take the public bus to town to pick up groceries and tour the area? It looks like a return taxi ride would be around $50 and my husband refuses to rent a car in Mexico for safety reasons. The resort looks beautiful and I think we would enjoy a relaxing holiday there but location and meal costs are a concern. Any other advice for a potential first-time visit to Los Cabos?

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you don't want to rent a car but this corridor was extremely easy to drive. Hacienda del mar was lovely but it would not be easy without a car. Don't miss Todo Santos (sp) and San Jose del Cabo if you do get a car.

Joan

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Car is no big deal in Los Cabo

I agree with Tacoma. When my wife & I visited the area we rented a car. The driving was easy. Virtually everything is right on Rt 1. By the way your closest place to get groceries is Wal-Mart in Cabo San Lucas. But there is a Mega in San Jose del Cabo. There is a wealth of local restaurants that can provide you excellent local food at prices less than what you'll find on the resorts.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Any other advice for a potential first-time visit to Los Cabos?
You might consider arranging for transportation from the airport with someone who will make a stop at the grocery store on the way in. Just buy all the stuff you think you'll need and eliminate a separate trip to go grocery shopping. The Mega store in San Jose del Cabo would be a good place to shop.

When you shop keep in mind that you won't have an oven--just a stove top and microwave for cooking.

Harvey and Lin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest renting a car. It is an easy drive to HDM from the airport, and a car will give you flexibility to stock up on breakfast and lunch items at Walmart. There are also some good restaurants near HDM, but you would need a car to get to them. And car rentals are reasonable priced in Cabo.

We have been to HDM many times, and like you, we mainly eat out for dinner, have breakfast in our unit, and maybe lunch at the pool. If you decide not to rent a car, you might check with HDM to see if they have a food service that will pick up your groceries. We were last at HDM in July, and they were talking about having a shopping list, and for a small additional charge, they would shop for you and have your grocery items delivered to your unit. Another option is Las Portales, onsite at HDM, that has some grocery items although at higher prices than Walmart. There are good restaurants at the hotel - our favorites, Girasoles and Tomatoes, are not that expensive. Cortez and Pithyas (sp?) are the more expensive ones. I would not do AI.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hacienda del Mar is a lovely resort. $125 a day not outrageous, especially if you drink. Restaurants are very good. I'd no AI, definitely rent a car. Easy driving. Take a trip to Todos Santos and San Jose del Cabo. Great resort, great area.

dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your comments have been very helpful and were shared with my husband, who still isn't convinced he wants to rent a car. I'm still working on that option as I would like to go to Todo Santos. We won't do AI because we usually only drink a glass of wine or two with dinner. I did reserve a second week at Pueblo Bonito Blanco and it looks like we'll have easy access to a variety of restaurants from that location. The International Film Festival is being held in Los Cabos the week we'll be at PB. Has anyone been there for this event? I'm wondering if this draws huge numbers of visitors.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Maybe your husband will reconsider renting a car for a day during your second week at PB. There's a car rental onsite there so maybe you can go to Todos Santos. If he still doesn't want to drive himself, you can arrange a private tour with a driver. One who gets good reviews is Danny Boy.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had another thought since you will be in Cabo two weeks. Maybe focus on San Jose del Cabo and HDM the first week & save Cabo San Lucas for your second week where you're going to be within walking distance of restaurants & on Medano Beach where it's safe to swim.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed on the corridor and in San Jose a few times. I truly enjoy being in Cabo San Lucus. We do not like renting a car either. We do rent for a day at a time for day trips or to change resorts and go to the store. My deal is I am on Vacation and neither Hubby nor myself want the stress of renting a car outside of the US.
You will love the Pueblo Bonito all there resorts are great and so close to downtown and the marina to walk and enjoy the daytime and evening. We also do not like all-inclusive resorts as it shoots the cost of the vacation sky high. We also like going to the local places for dinner trying to pick a new place each night.

dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE....

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hacienda del Mar and Pueblo Bonito. My 2 reviews have been posted on TUG. We did rent a car for one day while at Pueblo Bonito and drove to Todos Santos with no issues. The next day we used the car to stock up on groceries for our 2nd week and made the move to Hacienda del Mar. The Avis rental rep at PB even gave us a ride back to HDM when we returned the car. This worked so well that we rented another car for the day from Budget at HDM. We were able to visit San Jose, the Art Gallery walk, and go snorkelling at two beaches. The one day rentals cost $70, including fees & insurance, but we certainly got our money's worth as we were able to see and do so much. I still wouldn't rent a car elsewhere in Mexico but you all gave good advice about renting in Cabo.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for letting us know how your trip turned out. So glad to hear things went well and that you had a great time.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
OWN AT HDM, suggest you call the front desk. Ask about transportation into the Cabo Marina Area. Ask about getting to Costco without a car? They may arrange some sort of shuttle to Costco or a nearby Market. Cabo has all kinds of taxis, so if your husband does not feel like
driving that is his choice. As about an all inclusive, PB has all inclusives around $80 a day. I personally need to eat and drink in moderation, and an all inclusive brings out the animal in my eating habits, so its off limits. Enjoy you trip to HDM you will have a great time without a car,
and you will survive the high prices by ordering intelligently. Here's an idea the first night there go to the hot tub, and make friends with someone going to Costco the next morning. Ha Ha

melodyevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been owners at Hacienda Del Mar since pre-construction, so I would be happy to share information, discuss the "issues" we've had over the years--the good and the bad. Too bad there isn't a HDM Facebook page so owners can share/compare info.

oldxr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with HDM is you are 4 miles east of town.Its 1/2 mile walk uphill to the bus stop.The onsite restaurants are good but pricey.Its $50 taxi ride out there from the airport.It doesn't take long before the taxi rides add up to equal a weeks car rental.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I'm at HDM as we speak and yes, we rented a car.

One or two car rides a day pays for the car vs. a taxi and parking here is free.