• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mauna Kea snow

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oops. We've driven to the Seven Sacred Pools on Maui AND to Southpoint on the Big Island. It never dawned on me to check the fine print of the rental contract to see if I was breaking the rules. Who does that?

I've never driven up Mauna Kea, but I'd sure like to. This thread has given me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

Dave

Kapolei

Reaction score
Oops. We've driven to the Seven Sacred Pools on Maui AND to Southpoint on the Big Island. It never dawned on me to check the fine print of the rental contract to see if I was breaking the rules. Who does that?

I've never driven up Mauna Kea, but I'd sure like to. This thread has given me a new perspective on it. Thanks!

Dave

Threads are good starting points.

The other poster made some very good points. If in doubt, read your agreements, check your coverages, and ask the questions.

I am also wondering if that trip down the sugar cane road twenty years ago to Barking Sands was in breach of the rental contract. Brings back great memories. But for the life of me, there is no way I can remember who I rented from.

Last edited:

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
It never dawned on me to check the fine print of the rental contract to see if I was breaking the rules. Who does that?

A big part of the problem is that the counter staff at the majors won't go over every detail with you, as they process line-ups of tired visitors arriving on full flights. They will respond with the correct info when asked, but most renters don't realize or know that they should ask about this. In addition, what is said (or not said) at the rental car company counter never supersedes the "fine print" of the actual contract that they make you sign.

Two other rental-car-restricted roads for tourists on the Big Island to watch out for:

The access road that goes partway to Makalawena Beach (between mile markers 88 and 89) north of Kona -- it can't be done with a regular car, but is feasible with a 4x4. So although Jeep renters assume it's OK to go, it's still under the restrictions for unpaved roads.

The Government Beach Road in the Puna district (between the subdivisions) -- this one was upgraded with new gravel and grading, when lava threatened the closure of Highway 130 a couple of years ago, but the restrictions still apply.

Again, the exception to most of these restrictions are with Harpers' 4x4s. Over the years, I have not chosen to rent from them myself.
Caveat emptor for all car rental companies!

Here's another detail that most renters don't realize, should they be in an accident on a rental-contract restricted road:
Many local drivers on the Big Island are still (or again) either uninsured or underinsured, despite Hawaii being a "no-fault insurance" state. Other visitors doing the same in a rental car have also voided their own insurance, if they have broken their contract as well.
So although you may be a very skillful driver, others may not be, and your level of financial risk is higher than you think.

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score
Could not find anything in my personal auto coverage that excludes coverage for operating a vehicle in violation of a rental agreement. Coverage bought from the rental companies and coverage from credit cards are likely voided. Everyone's personal coverage is different so checking your own policy is required. Even then, you might want to get professional advice. And just because a web poster says something, that doesn't make it so.

I am not suggesting that anyone intentionally violate a rental agreement. A lot of us may have other household members on a trip. That jeep with a spouse or an adult child might be late coming back to the hotel. Later you find out that they were in an accident in a place with only dirt roads. Are you covered? It does not appear that my personal comprehensive auto policy would be voided because the vehicle was on an unimproved road. But everyone's policy is different. And I could be wrong about my own policy. And I would never tell someone even with the same policy as mine that they are all good on this issue. This is an issue we must all find out for ourselves.

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We are in our 3rd week here on the Big Island in Waikoloa and with our 2nd rental car company. I've read over the contracts, what there is of a contract, and I've not found any of the restrictions that a particular poster alludes to. A lot of the roads that head to a beach are unpaved. Since we are here to purchase a 1/2+ acre lot in Kona to build a house on, we have been on a lot of unpaved roads.

I only rent standard size SUV's when I travel, including this trip. Unhappy with front wheel drive only vehicles like the Ford Edge and Explorer (optional): too much wheel spin on the upslope gravel roads that we've been on. Really need AWD and 4-wheel drive, otherwise you might not get back to the road if there is any grade at all. There has been a number of lots where we had to walk up the gravel driveway, because the SUV couldn't make it uphill with standard warn tires and only a 2x2 drive.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Ron. I have watched a few Youtube video's of the road and I have read some other forums discussing the topic.

The unpaved portion of the road appears to be maintained to a level that could support movement of heavy equipment and construction of world class telescope. It would be interesting to have some accident statistics comparing the upper paved portion to the lower unpaved portion of the road.

I personally would not participate in a van tour at close to 14,000 feet with random strangers. I also would not rent from a company because they are the "only one".

I appreciate any further contributions to the thread.

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we drove up to the top of Mauna Kea about 4 years ago, we had a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The roads were not flat and level, we we had to take it slow and avoid the gulleys. A Jeep Wrangler 4x4, probably would have handled it better, but not as comfortable, plus I'd hate to leave the Jeep in 4 wheel drive all the way to the top (in 4x4 the Wrangler is noisy, runs slow, and eats up gas). As we approached the summit, the Jeep seemed oxygen starved, the computer was having problems adjusting for the extreme altitude.

I agree with you, I would not want to drive out to Mauna Kea and up to the top in a van full of other people.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, today the road up to Mauna Kea is closed, because of icy roads and 80 MPH winds.

Oh well, another sunny 80 degree day in Waikoloa: another day in paradise.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply. Got to respect the mountain and the altitude. Especially, for flatlanders like myself. Aloha.