• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there anyway to become VIP if only a resale owner?

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Links Golf & Racket Club, Myrtle Beach
Vacation Village, Parkway
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
SRL-Table Rock, Branson, MO
i probably know the answer to this, but I was wondering if any of the Wyndham experts might know something that I haven't heard. Besides being willed access points or purchasing retail, is there anyway to become VIP by only buying resale. I currently own 128k, but I'd be wiling to buy more on the resale market to get to 400k if I knew I could get VIP benefits. Any insights?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry ... VIP benefits are for the direct buyers ... as Wyndham marketing pays for those discounts and unit upgrades.

You could RENT reservations from VIP owners who spent a lot of money with Wyndham ... for those discounts.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
From all I can tell, it would take lots & lots & lots of upgrades & discounts & other VIP benefits to make up for the difference between full-freight VIP prices & resale prices.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
Sorry ... VIP benefits are for the direct buyers ... as Wyndham marketing pays for those discounts and unit upgrades.

You could RENT reservations from VIP owners who spent a lot of money with Wyndham ... for those discounts.
From all I can tell, it would take lots & lots & lots of upgrades & discounts & other VIP benefits to make up for the difference between full-freight VIP prices & resale prices.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​
I was fairly sure that would be the answer, but I just thought I would ask anyway. Just sat throught an "Owners Update" so it got me thinking. Thanx for the reposnses.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was fairly sure that would be the answer, but I just thought I would ask anyway. Just sat throught an "Owners Update" so it got me thinking. Thanx for the reposnses.

If there is a way the folks that know it aren't talking

I came close several years ago. I took 3 Pahio weeks purchased on the secondary market and converted them to VIP eligible points with the purchase of one small contract bought directly from Wyndham. It was a $12000 purchase. I put 50% down and financed $6000 my payments are $150 a month which is peanuts compared to my maintenance fees for that now 10 million point account

I tried to do it again and was told the rules changed. I did 3 conversions with one purchase. The new rule was each converted week week would require a purchase so it would take something like 200090 points or $ 35000 to $40000

The only salesmen that could pull this off are in Hawaii The guy that made it happen for me has moved to another company. They may have closed the loophole altogether by now. I don't know

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
If there is a way the folks that know it aren't talking

I came close several years ago. I took 3 Pahio weeks purchased on the secondary market and converted them to VIP eligible points with the purchase of one small contract bought directly from Wyndham. It was a $12000 purchase. I put 50% down and financed $6000 my payments are $150 a month which is peanuts compared to my maintenance fees for that now 10 million point account

I tried to do it again and was told the rules changed. I did 3 conversions with one purchase. The new rule was each converted week week would require a purchase so it would take something like 200090 points or $ 35000 to $40000

The only salesmen that could pull this off are in Hawaii The guy that made it happen for me has moved to another company. They may have closed the loophole altogether by now. I don't know
Thanx Ron,

I should have realized that if anyone would know how it would be you. I guess I'll just use my small points alottment to the best of my ability. Considering I own 11 timeshares, points, weeks, II as well as RCI, all bought resale, I can usually get to where I need to go. Just always trying to figure the best ways to use what I have. Off course, TUG is always my place to go for answers.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another little know way to obtain a VIP membership is to inherit it from a parent as spelled out in the Wyndham directory. The problem is, your parent(s) must have a VIP membership prior.

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
Another little know way to obtain a VIP membership is to inherit it from a parent as spelled out in the Wyndham directory. The problem is, your parent(s) must have a VIP membership prior.
Actually, I was aware of that and that's what got me thinking because when you inherit from a VIP owner, you automatically become VIP even if you only inherit 100k. VIP owners in access can designate up to 6 beneficiaries and can divide anyway they wish. If they divide 600k 6 ways, all 6 people get 100k and all 6 are VIP.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
That I didn't know. Are you sure? My VIP Platinum ownership consist of inherited deeds. If I sell some deeds and point totals go below a VIP level I believe I will lose the VIP benefit. I think that also applies to CWA, but I don't know because I'm not familiar with that program.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Actually, I was aware of that and that's what got me thinking because when you inherit from a VIP owner, you automatically become VIP even if you only inherit 100k. VIP owners in access can designate up to 6 beneficiaries and can divide anyway they wish. If they divide 600k 6 ways, all 6 people get 100k and all 6 are VIP.

That has always been a a really tough question that no one has ever been able to answer for my father. Of course he was always asking sales people (and it was obviously impossible to get a straight answer).

Many time my Dad tried to find out what would happen to his VIP status were his 5 children to inherit his 1.5M VIP points. He thought (as did I) that we need to keep the points together in order to maintain the VIP status. I'm pretty certain I've asked that of Wyndham as well. Sadly it seems to be one of those areas that you don't really know what's going to happen until you try it.

Has anyone ever split their VIP platinum accounts multiple ways and had the many split-out accounts maintain VIP platinum status? I would LOVE to know - it would certainly change our strategy (and boy would it simplify my life - the one currently managing this for our family under the premise it needs to be kept together in order to maintain VIP platinum status).

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
Continuing your little vendetta, I see. Sure wish I knew why.
This is what I was told today at the Owners Update ( I know, can't always trust what is said, but this was presented as fact to all of us in the room, witnesses, you know) but it is a benefit of Club Wyndham Access only, not Select accounts. I'm going to see if I can find any documentation and will post it if, I do.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
That has always been a a really tough question that no one has ever been able to answer for my father. Of course he was always asking sales people (and it was obviously impossible to get a straight answer).

Many time my Dad tried to find out what would happen to his VIP status were his 5 children to inherit his 1.5M VIP points. He thought (as did I) that we need to keep the points together in order to maintain the VIP status. I'm pretty certain I've asked that of Wyndham as well. Sadly it seems to be one of those areas that you don't really know what's going to happen until you try it.

Has anyone ever split their VIP platinum accounts multiple ways and had the many split-out accounts maintain VIP platinum status? I would LOVE to know - it would certainly change our strategy (and boy would it simplify my life - the one currently managing this for our family under the premise it needs to be kept together in order to maintain VIP platinum status).

It doesn't matter what a Wyndham sales weasel says or another owner for that matter. What matters is what is in print. If it's not in print then default to 'No' as being the answer. If the answer is 'Yes' in print and the policy changes before splitting up the membership it most likely won't be grandfathered.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
This is what I was told today at the Owners Update ( I know, can't always trust what is said, but this was presented as fact to all of us in the room, witnesses, you know) but it is a benefit of Club Wyndham Access only, not Select accounts. I'm going to see if I can find any documentation and will post it if, I do.

Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd believe them. In my situation it does not apply - all of our contracts are Select. Will be interesting to see if you find anything in writing (it's never been easy to find rules around inheritance and my experience was that the sales people had no clue).

Jinx Jim (I see we were replying a the same time).

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd believe them. In my situation it does not apply - all of our contracts are Select. Will be interesting to see if you find anything in writing (it's never been easy to find rules around inheritance and my experience was that the sales people had no clue).

Jinx Jim (I see we were replying a the same time).
may be better to just keep your contracts together and let family use as a group so you don't loose the VIP benefits. (This assumes your family relationships and dynamics are conducive to this working long term).

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
may be better to just keep your contracts together and let family use as a group so you don't loose the VIP benefits. (This assumes your family relationships and dynamics are conducive to this working long term).
Thanks. That is the plan at this time. Thankfully we all get along great. We've got ground rules we've all agreed to. But it does get complicated. Now grandchildren (my nieces and nephews) are old enough to use it. To those actively using it they are being added to resale contracts so they are on the account (if they choose). Some are interested some are not. We've always operated on the premise that the true value in this is to keep it all together in order to maintain the VIP Platinum benefits. I have promised to document an exit strategy (that is currently floating around in my head - things like maintenance paid in advance for a year, information on Ovations as well as companies that could assist in selling on the resale market (for at least a minimal profit - if no one wants to take over management of the account). My husband just keeps saying to be sure I leave the number for Ovations cause he's gonna run as fast as he can.

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
Thanks. That is the plan at this time. Thankfully we all get along great. We've got ground rules we've all agreed to. But it does get complicated. Now grandchildren (my nieces and nephews) are old enough to use it. To those actively using it they are being added to resale contracts so they are on the account (if they choose). Some are interested some are not. We've always operated on the premise that the true value in this is to keep it all together in order to maintain the VIP Platinum benefits. I have promised to document an exit strategy (that is currently floating around in my head - things like maintenance paid in advance for a year, information on Ovations as well as companies that could assist in selling on the resale market (for at least a minimal profit - if no one wants to take over management of the account). My husband just keeps saying to be sure I leave the number for Ovations cause he's gonna run as fast as he can.

I got this from the CW Directory:

"Eligibility Requirements: 
VIP program benefits are offerred to CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus Members allocated at least 400,000 CLUB WYNDHAM Plus points on an annual basis. Only CLUB WYNDHAM Plus points associated with ownership interests purchased directly through Wyndham Vacation Resorts or its affiliates, ownership interests acquired 
by will or intestate succession, ownership interests acquired by “Immediate Relative” of members, or through PIC enrollments count toward VIP status. “Immediate Relative” currently includes parents, spouses, domestic partners, siblings, children and grandchildren. Purchases of ownership interests made from private individuals or resale companies will not count toward the total points required for VIP eligibility. "

I still haven't confirmed what I was told: That if points are divided, and allottment is then less than 400K, if they are still VIP. But I'll keep looking. If anyone has any first hand knowledge, that would be appreciated.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got this from the CW Directory:

"Eligibility Requirements: 
VIP program benefits are offerred to CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus Members allocated at least 400,000 CLUB WYNDHAM Plus points on an annual basis. Only CLUB WYNDHAM Plus points associated with ownership interests purchased directly through Wyndham Vacation Resorts or its affiliates, ownership interests acquired 
by will or intestate succession, ownership interests acquired by “Immediate Relative” of members, or through PIC enrollments count toward VIP status. “Immediate Relative” currently includes parents, spouses, domestic partners, siblings, children and grandchildren. Purchases of ownership interests made from private individuals or resale companies will not count toward the total points required for VIP eligibility. "

I still haven't confirmed what I was told: That if points are divided, and allottment is then less than 400K, if they are still VIP. But I'll keep looking. If anyone has any first hand knowledge, that would be appreciated.

And almost certainly what will confirm is that at least 1 million VIP eligible points are required to be Platinum (700K for Gold and 400k for Silver) What you posted from the book is clear. The inherited VIP eligible points "count toward" VIP status.

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
And almost certainly what will confirm is that at least 1 million VIP eligible points are required to be Platinum (700K for Gold and 400k for Silver) What you posted from the book is clear. The inherited VIP eligible points "count toward" VIP status.

Ron,

This I know. However, the "Owners Update" presenter was very adamant that if the a Silver VIP owner with 600K left 100K to 6 relatives then all 6 relatives would then become Silver VIP even with only 100K. Sounded implausible to us too, but this is definitely what he said so I am just trying to confirm. I Know, I know - you can't believe a word they say, but it was said to the whole room, more than once. I'd just like to know if its true or not but, of course, having trouble finding any written confirmation - hence the question about any first hand knowledge.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,

This I know. However, the "Owners Update" presenter was very adamant that if the a Silver VIP owner with 600K left 100K to 6 relatives then all 6 relatives would then become Silver VIP even with only 100K. Sounded implausible to us too, but this is definitely what he said so I am just trying to confirm. I Know, I know - you can't believe a word they say, but it was said to the whole room, more than once. I'd just like to know if its true or not but, of course, having trouble finding any written confirmation - hence the question about any first hand knowledge.

Perhaps you could give it a try and see what happens. Then report back here

I don't think you will find anyone with first hand knowledge as I don't think it ever happened

That's not to say mistakes have never happened. My very first purchase was a package of three converted fixed weeks that made me a silver VIP

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barblich, I think you already know the answer. The common-sense answer is no, splitting them won't preserve VIP unless one (or more) of the resulting accounts is VIP-qualified on its face. A salesperson told you that this common-sense answer is not how things work, but that salesperson (a) only cares about making a sale and (b) knows that verbal (mis-)representations can't be held against him, because (c) the contract says that only what is written matters. And, what is written says inherited contracts "count towards" VIP, not "preserves" or similar language.

Chalk this up to another instance of "Lips are moving, must be false."

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barblich, I think you already know the answer. The common-sense answer is no, splitting them won't preserve VIP unless one (or more) of the resulting accounts is VIP-qualified on its face. A salesperson told you that this common-sense answer is not how things work, but that salesperson (a) only cares about making a sale and (b) knows that verbal (mis-)representations can't be held against him, because (c) the contract says that only what is written matters. And, what is written says inherited contracts "count towards" VIP, not "preserves" or similar language.

Chalk this up to another instance of "Lips are moving, must be false."
A sales manager told me that if you split, and your right, if the total of each does not meet the minimum points needed, you loose VIP status.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
I've had a sales manager tell us that as well. But in the same breath he said they can 'split up' CWA points among the siblings while Select points must be kept whole for each contract. So it was kind of a lead-in to trying to switch us to more CWA .. hence maybe stretching the truth.

Bob

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
I've had a sales manager tell us that as well. But in the same breath he said they can 'split up' CWA points among the siblings while Select points must be kept whole for each contract. So it was kind of a lead-in to trying to switch us to more CWA .. hence maybe stretching the truth.

Bob

Just to point out, my beginning question was asking about Access points:

"i probably know the answer to this, but I was wondering if any of the Wyndham experts might know something that I haven't heard. Besides being willed access points or purchasing retail, is there anyway to become VIP by only buying resale. I currently own 128k, but I'd be wiling to buy more on the resale market to get to 400k if I knew I could get VIP benefits. Any insights?"

So it looks like there might be a small grain of truth in there somewhere, hmmmm.....