• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina Parking Fee vs. Uber vs. 8 Passenger Vehicle

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm travelling in March with my parents and uncle for 2 weeks. There will be 8 of us total and from what I can tell, it looks like minivan rentals will only hold 7 people so we'll have to rent a second car. With my family, generally that 2nd car sits most of the time in the parking garage.

One thread indicated that the 2nd car is like $20 per night. I thought it was closer to $10. So I was wondering, instead of paying $350 for the car rental plus another $280 (14 days x $20) in parking fees, I might be better off using Uber for my parents. I'm guessing that $630 will get me a lot of travel when needed.

Unless, does anyone of a rental company that has vehicles to hold 8 people? This would be 5 adults and 3 children, including a booster and 2 car seats.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just went down to front desk and asked. It is $20.94 per day for the second vehicle. Do you have two reservations or just one 2br unit? If you have two reservations each week then you have two parking passes. Also a 3br unit would give you to two parking passes complimentary.

Also instead of renting 2 vehicles you could take uber or speedi shuttle for your parents to koolina. Then when you need the extra vehicle you could rent a vehicle for the day from the enterprise desk down in the lobby. But since you stated the 2nd vehicle would just sit in the parking garage the 2 weeks, I would just speedi shuttle or uber from the airport for the extra passengers.

I have no idea if you can uber from the airport. But paying $630 for the second vehicle to get to and from the airport is not cost effective. There are better options if you donot need the 2nd vehicle most of the two weeks you are here.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Honda Odyssey's will hold 8 adults, a little tight. There is also lots of storage in the back, but luggage for 8 may be a problem for anything other than a full size passenger van...

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's usually 10 of us in our group when we vacation, with 2 toddlers in car seats. I've rented 12 passenger vans to transport all of us and our luggage. It's worked out well. They do have a roll-over warning for these types of vehicles, but as long as you drive smartly and avoid making abrupt, sharp turns or slamming hard on the brakes, you should be okay.

Oahu has some rental companies that carry them. Our group won't vacation in Oahu until 2018, so can't recommend one. Google brings up some of them.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just went down to front desk and asked. It is $20.94 per day for the second vehicle. Do you have two reservations or just one 2br unit? If you have two reservations each week then you have two parking passes. Also a 3br unit would give you to two parking passes complimentary.

Also instead of renting 2 vehicles you could take uber or speedi shuttle for your parents to koolina. Then when you need the extra vehicle you could rent a vehicle for the day from the enterprise desk down in the lobby. But since you stated the 2nd vehicle would just sit in the parking garage the 2 weeks, I would just speedi shuttle or uber from the airport for the extra passengers.

I have no idea if you can uber from the airport. But paying $630 for the second vehicle to get to and from the airport is not cost effective. There are better options if you donot need the 2nd vehicle most of the two weeks you are here.

I only have 1 - 2 BR unit for the two weeks. I wish we had the 3 bedroom unit as that would solve a lot of things. In terms of the Airport, I can always go back and pick my parents up as they will be flying in at a different time. But yea, looking at $630, there has to be something better.

Honda Odyssey's will hold 8 adults, a little tight. There is also lots of storage in the back, but luggage for 8 may be a problem for anything other than a full size passenger van...

Do you know which rental car companies have Odysseys? Everything I see online seems to indicate they only seat 7.

There's usually 10 of us in our group when we vacation, with 2 toddlers in car seats. I've rented 12 passenger vans to transport all of us and our luggage. It's worked out well. They do have a roll-over warning for these types of vehicles, but as long as you drive smartly and avoid making abrupt, sharp turns or slamming hard on the brakes, you should be okay.

Oahu has some rental companies that carry them. Our group won't vacation in Oahu until 2018, so can't recommend one. Google brings up some of them.

My concern with the 12 passenger van is that it may be too big. Especially when trying to park in parking garages, they will be difficult to maneuver. And parking spaces in Hawaii always seem smaller to me than elsewhere.

lisa3635

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only have 1 - 2 BR unit for the two weeks. I wish we had the 3 bedroom unit as that would solve a lot of things. In terms of the Airport, I can always go back and pick my parents up as they will be flying in at a different time. But yea, looking at $630, there has to be something better.

Do you know which rental car companies have Odysseys? Everything I see online seems to indicate they only seat 7.

My concern with the 12 passenger van is that it may be too big. Especially when trying to park in parking garages, they will be difficult to maneuver. And parking spaces in Hawaii always seem smaller to me than elsewhere.

Most oddys fit 8, the ones that don't are the highest and lowest trim. Rentals are most likely going to be the mid trims. Personally I've only seen rental companies have the chyslers and Sienna's. any sienna at rental car place with seat 8 too. We've gotten chyslers before that seat 7. We couldn't fit 8 plus luggage in a van. I struggle sometimes with my family of 5 to fit in a minivan comfortably with luggage.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think Alamo has a 8 passenger mini van category. I think though, as Lisa indicated, you will have trouble squeezing all eight people in there with luggage.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Driving back to the airport to get your parents may be a good idea BUT the biggest thing is during the work week traffic can be really bad. Instead of a < 20 minute drive it can be an hour.

Another thing is " are you sure you want 8 people in a 2 bd?" a studio isn't a lot of points and maybe a last minute trade will come up. My DW says she sees Ko Olina studios all the time.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Driving back to the airport to get your parents may be a good idea BUT the biggest thing is during the work week traffic can be really bad. Instead of a < 20 minute drive it can be an hour.

Another thing is " are you sure you want 8 people in a 2 bd?" a studio isn't a lot of points and maybe a last minute trade will come up. My DW says she sees Ko Olina studios all the time.

Unfortunately we don't have the extra points available. Plus 3 of the people are kids. A 14 month old, a 4 year old, and a 6.5 year old.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Most oddys fit 8, the ones that don't are the highest and lowest trim...."
We have an '14 Odyssey Elite, the highest trim level available. It easily seats 8, although getting in and out of the third row seat is a little awkward. I am not sure about the lower trim levels, and don't know a rental car company that rents Honda's....

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

What time are your parents coming in compared to when you arrive? If you are willing to drive back that would save you $620 at least for the 2 weeks. I would not recommend a 15 passenger van for the reasons you mentioned. Plus trying to park that van every day in the garage is going to be brutal unless you pay for valet service.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Could the 6 1/2 year old squeeze in with the other adults in the back...oh wait, car seats...yeah. Get the premium SUV that fits 8. Or get a second smaller vehicle only for when you need to venture out. Around the vicinty, they have the shuttle bus.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are parking garages BUT there are also several outdoor parking spaces. When we were there a couple of weeks ago we always parked in the outdoor lot and never in the garage.

BigMac

Reaction score
5 adults and 3 kids should be no problem in a Ko Olina 2 bedroom. There are 2 kings and 2 queen sofas. Also you can request a rollaway if you want. It fits nicely in the dressing area outside the master bedroom

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 adults and 3 kids should be no problem in a Ko Olina 2 bedroom. There are 2 kings and 2 queen sofas. Also you can request a rollaway if you want. It fits nicely in the dressing area outside the master bedroom

This is what we are planning.

Could the 6 1/2 year old squeeze in with the other adults in the back...oh wait, car seats...yeah. Get the premium SUV that fits 8. Or get a second smaller vehicle only for when you need to venture out. Around the vicinty, they have the shuttle bus.

The 6.5 year old has a booster seat so yes, she can fit in the back. For the 4 year old, we will likely put her in a booster seat just for this trip as well.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

FYI there is no dressing area in the naia tower rooms. The small study with the sliding doors that seperate it from the masterbedroom are only in kona and moana towers.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI there is no dressing area in the naia tower rooms. The small study with the sliding doors that seperate it from the masterbedroom are only in kona and moana towers.

We have planned for this. We will be requesting Kona or Moana when we go.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another consideration: Ko Olina has a car rental desk. Call them and see if you can get a one way rental (airport to resort). Use it to get everybody there, then check it in. Rent one to get back to airport, thus you have two days rental vs two weeks. We do this in Maui all the time. If you're planning lots of trips via vehicle, this won't work, but an idea to get you to and from resort.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the link. Helpful to know the legal age is 4. I just need to find someone that has a Toyota Sienna. That's the problem. All rental website say the minivans hold 7. None of them say 8. I have a few emails out to the companies but have not had a response yet.
I just did some mock searches with Alamo. When trying to book MCO (Orlando), I see a Standard Van category, which is a Toyota Sienna or similar. When booking at HNL (Honolulu), I don't see that category, just the Mini Van category. At least when using Alamo, you can pick your car from your car class. So as long as they have Toyota Sienna in inventory and available, you should be able to select it. If for some reason one isn't available, then do Uber.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
..... Another thing is " are you sure you want 8 people in a 2 bd?" a studio isn't a lot of points and maybe a last minute trade will come up. My DW says she sees Ko Olina studios all the time.

I own a 2-bdrm unit at Ko'Olina.
I would NEVER consider occupying it with 7 others.
SIX is the MAXIMUM and I'd hesitate doing it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If all one has is a 2BR with eight people, then there aren't manhy other options at this points for a March time frame. Eight people in a unit in Hawaii is better than some other places.